• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

band saw tire replacement

3MT

Anyone ever replace the tires on your band saw? If you did what brand did you purchase? What material did you get rubber or urethane? I have an old Bridgewood band saw with rubber tires on it. Last night when I wanted to use the saw it started to make a funny noise. I looked at the rubber tires and they are shot. The bottom tire is cracked and dry rotted and started to come off the wheel. I was looking on the web last night and found two places that sold the urethane tires. Carter Products was one. The tire for the 14” wheel is $24.95 each. Rockler was the other. Their tire for the 14” wheel is $24.99 for a pair. I’m wondering about the quality of the tires sold at Rockler. Anyone got any suggestions with these two or some other business you’ve dealt with. Thanks for the info. :beer:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
urethane is more abrasion resistant than rubber and doesn't oxidize as quickly, that's partly why the industry has shifted over to its use in the past 10 or so years. it's also easier to put the tires on, since they don't have to be glued in place.
I haven't had to replace the tires on my bandsaw yet, but i have purchased other things from Rockler in the past and have been pleased with the quality. i also like woodcraft a lot - but much of that has to do with the store in KC where i can actually pick things up and handle them before buying. the closest rockler storefront to me is 350 or so miles away. (woodcraft wants $32 per tire, so rockler is probably your best bet)

Rockler does a lot of email specials as well, so if you do a lot of woodworking it might be worth getting on their mailing list.

good luck

3MT

Erik,
Thanks for the info. I contacted Rockler to find out what is the width of the tires they sell. They didn't specify the width on their website. Theirs is 1" wide and made in the USA. I need a 7/8" wide tire, so it looks like I'm going to have to order them from Carter. :beer: