• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What would you do???

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry but I am a worse typer and speller when I am PISSED:hammer::hammer:

I have nearly two square miles (1,200 acers) of soybeans full of weeds after spending $35K on chemicals....and lots of work....

The saga begins with the preplant herbicide that did absoultly nothing. Pissin in the wind would do as much. $15/acer + $6 application as the local COOP applied it. Thing is they only put down 1/2 of recommended rate, some thing common to growers that use Round up ready soybeans. I do not plant them, I plant conventional non GMO varieties and they surely know this after 15 years... So the preplant didn't work and 450 acers of the post emergence herbicide didn't work either due to the pre plant herbicide failure. SO they F'd Up BIG TIME, with only 1/2 rate of pre and 450 acers of the wrong stuff for the situation. We sprayed the 450 acers not them...

So now we go back with the newly reccomended post emergence herbicide and start all over with it. The weeds are getting big by then with the early spring conditions we had. They reccomend splitting the grass herbicide from the broad leaf so we have to spray twice. We have done the first pass with the broad leaf herbicide. On the advice of one of the chemical reps we dug out the old row crop cultivator and spent a day moving the sweeps around for more trash clearance to get through the modern farming practice of leaving crop residue on the surface of the soil. Without the mods we did it would have been impossible for this machine to have gone through the fields with out plugging up and wrecking crops and leaving balls of dead plant material...As of today we've done 500 acers or so with a row crop cultivator, some thing unheard of for many years around here...

We still have 1,200 more to spray with the grass herbicide, about 5 days of work. I feel we will end up cultivating nealy all of them before we're through.

Mostly this is all due to the wrong amount of preplant. They can check, but in 30 years I have never ordered or applied 1/2 rate of anything on my farm. I just don't do that because I don't grow round up resistant crops. I don't have it to save my arse...like 99% of other farmers here.

So who should I go after and for what or how much? Last year the same out fit sprayed 3 out of 12 fields with the preplant and it rained and they never sprayed the other 9. So I had a hellova summer last summer to, due to their carelessness. Cost me money in chemicals and maybe some yeild reduction. This COOP is an $80 million gross business by the way...and I am a member with about $60K in stock...I want to keep my business there but I also want some compensation for their F' ups. It is not just materials either but some real time as cultivating is a slow process compared to spraying. But it still works well, as the steel doesn't care what kind of weed, or how many of them. I now "own" the center of the row, without chemicals...

I want to get along, but I feel I have good reason to bitch and perhaps get some compensation for THEIR mistakes on my fields..

What would you do?? What would be fair?

Right now I want to destroy somebody...

Regards, Kirk

Trakternut

Definitely go after them for compensation. Before you do, get County extension agent on board as you will need expert testimony on your behalf.

Do your homework before going to war as they will try to point the finger at you for all of this.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely go after them for compensation. Before you do, get County extension agent on board as you will need expert testimony on your behalf.

Do your homework before going to war as they will try to point the finger at you for all of this.
Thats the best advice i can think of. :wink:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found out about the half rate of pre emergence herbicide this afternoon, and now my troubles make much more sence..

An extention agent might be fine, but the problems are quite obvious..And the agronomist I work with is new just in April, so he had nothing to do with this mess. The old agronomist set this up in January with me. The original booking order calls for a full rate of pre emerge herb..

The CEO and I are good friends, I suppose I should call on him about this as well. I sure dont like the position this puts me in though...

I don't think I should have to pay for most of what I have purchased. The final spraying of the two herbicides I will pay for. And I want some thing for the cultivation we are doing. Just don't have a handle on how much is fair.

Regards, Kirk

loboloco

Geez, Kirk, that's really putting a screw to you. After about four bad sprays from the nearest outfit, we went out and got a sprayer to do our own. Pain in the rear keeping the sucker washed out, but at least now we can only blame ourselves when it gpes screwy.
Yep, the 1/2 deal was definitely fowled up. I would, since the CEO is a friend, talk to him first before getting out the hammer.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the position that you are put in? As I see it, you are down 35K plus a lot of work, plus the possibility of reduced yield, all because of a screw up on their part. I would make the call.

Kane

What is the position that you are put in? As I see it, you are down 35K plus a lot of work, plus the possibility of reduced yield, all because of a screw up on their part. I would make the call.
At the end of the day it all a matter of insurance and re-insurance. I can only imagine that the CO-OP has liability insurance for just such occasions, so my advice would be to take the emotion out of your decision. Monetary damage to you would be made good by an insurer, not your friendly CO-OP. Like they say, it's just bid-ness.

In the meantime, you could just let the plot go to weeds. Salt the field with a couple three hundred ring-neck chicks and rent out your fields handsomely to the dude-hunters come November. :biggrin:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I called the CEO and left a message to call in the morning. Maybe I will start with explaining my situation to him. But I also know how detached he is from the day to day stuff with multiple locations in 4 counties....But he also can make things happen as well. I am sure they have insurance for such things, as a commercial licence in Iowa will not be issued for application with out proof of insurance. I know for years I had one.

BTW I have a self propelled 4WD Walker 44 sprayer with a 220 hp cumins a 1,000 gal ss spray tank and 80' boom. We do all of our own except for the pre plant herbicide for soybeans, this is done right after planting each field. It has to be done before emegence of the plant, or it will kill it. I let the COOP do it for me, cause I am still planting when they start spraying. Last year we were set up to do it our selves, but a spayer pump failed and the replacement was ten days out. So I called the agronomist and asked him if they could spray, and of course they could. 3 of 12 fields they did and quit after a rain event....and they could do nothing about it as the beans were up when I discovered their mistake. I reall am beginning to hate incompetence:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Some time I wonder about a friend of mine who is a lawyer....Just in case

Regards, Kirk