• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gas igniter won't light

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I replaced the igniters on my 4 year old Whirlpool gas 4 burner cooktop.

3 of the igniters work fine. The 4th, the small one, will work fine if one of the other burners is lit. With no other burner lit, the igniter will not fire. These igniters are wired in series, with the faulty one either the first or last.

Any ideas?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Is the center cap in place and down? Some have a notch that needs to be over the igniter for the proper gap for it to arc.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
One of mine hasn't worked for years. Couldn't find a solution …

Might be misaligned ??

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is the center cap in place and down? Some have a notch that needs to be over the igniter for the proper gap for it to arc.

It's correctly in place. The wierd thing is that as long as another burner is lit, the igniter fires perfectly. It is only when I try to light this burner first that it will not fire.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
What ever happened to the good old pilot light. Just how much gas did it burn in a yrs time and how much CO did it make in a yrs time?? I smell more big brother!!
Mike

MichaelK

After lit, does it burn properly, or with a reduced flame? I had a large, 30K BTU burner that wouldn't light, and burnt with a smaller the previous flame. Cleaned the portals under the ceramic top but that didn't do anything.

Finally, I took a piece of wire and ran it through the gas orifice and dislodged buildup there. Now I have full gas flow and the burner lights instantly.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
After lit, does it burn properly, or with a reduced flame? I had a large, 30K BTU burner that wouldn't light, and burnt with a smaller the previous flame. Cleaned the portals under the ceramic top but that didn't do anything.

Finally, I took a piece of wire and ran it through the gas orifice and dislodged buildup there. Now I have full gas flow and the burner lights instantly.

We did get the problem solved. The new igniter harness was defective. It would only allow current to flow when another was firing. I have no idea why.