• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pump issues

wesley

My well pump is not working properly. It is a "Duro" I belive the type is called hit & miss and stands vertically. The pump is run by an electric motor and the motor and pump seem to be working fine, it worked good last year, :sad: but I'm not getting any pressure from the pump. There is water comming up and spilling all over. I'm thinking it might be pluged up between where the water comes up to where it comes out the pump into the line that feeds the cabin. There is a football size "thing" about where the water leaves the pump. I don't know what it does or what the problem is. Can any one direct me to a site that has a daigram of this type of pump and info about trouble shooting?

Attachments

• camp 5-12 014.JPG
    camp 5-12 014.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 67
  • camp 5-12 015.JPG
    camp 5-12 015.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 67
  • camp 5-12 016.JPG
    camp 5-12 016.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 67

Trakternut

Jeez! That's an old timer!
Since you don't note exactly where the leak is, I'll just have to hazard a guess that a pipe is cracked at a joint? That happens with age. Look really closely at the area where the water leaks out. You might see a rust trail that might indicate a crack. If the leak's large enough there goes your line pressure to the cabin.
I'm thinking that the bulb you're talking about is an air relief If the water line were solid from your pump to your cabin, any air caught in the lines between cycles of the pump would "hammer" your pipes as it's forced through the pipes when the pump starts again. In time, "water hammer" breaks fitting and the like. The bulb provides a place for the air bubbles to escape the water and act as a cushion against the hammer action.
Keep trying google and other search engines. You should find someone, or a site that'll help you out.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was thinking accumulator which has a diaphragm that is charged on the top with a gas pressure to hold resistive pressure on the line below the diaphragm to eliminate air build up and absorb hammer.

wesley

Thank you for the responses. I believe the pump was from the early 50's The camp was built in 1946. I should clarify that the water that is coming out apears to be a relief drain on the side. Some water is getting through the line but with almost no pressure so I can't fill the holding tank that gravity feeds the toilet. So much is coming out that the bottom of the well area is 4 inches deep after just an half hour. I pretty sure that there is a good supply of water and that the pump is bringing it up. I also know the lines the pump feed are good. That leaves what the water is doing after it comes up. I love this old pump and want to keep it going.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you filled and screwed in the grease cup on the side? May just need to expand the ram seals.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I don't know, but updating the pump by about a half century would be a good place to start. Seems it has paid for itself three or four decades ago.