• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Painting fiberglass parts? Need some help please!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FIRST, let me say this is not a SNOWCAT that I am working on, but since we have lots of folks in the snowcat area of the forums who may have experience with this I figured I post the question here.

I'm working on a some ground effects parts for a VW Jetta TDI "cup edition" car. The car is a street car but the intention is to drive it in some SCCA mildly modified events (my neighbor is an active racer and very competitive in his class). So I have some body parts that need to be painted to get my new car (not even arrived yet) to where he says it needs to be. I'm not even sure what class he is going to have me try to race in, but I know that we won't be putting in a roll cage and I know the engine must remain stock but we can, if I understand it correctly, upgrade parts like front brakes, to some level, we can put on VW motorsport body panels, etc.

I'm now collecting quite a pile of parts in the garage, some of which are fiberglass parts that will need to be painted. What sort of PRIMING is needed? What sort of prep is needed to the fiberglass BEFORE priming it? Is there any prep work needed AFTER priming but before painting? I've never worked with fiberglass so this is all new to me.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
parts stores sell fiberglass primer.
it sticks to the plastic and regular paint sticks to it.
conversely, you could theoretically use an epoxy paint and skip the primer stage.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob...why don't you take a look at Bigal's KT7 thread again. Seems to me there was quite a bit of info on painting fiberglass.