• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chicago Teacher's Strike show the need for SCHOOL CHOICE

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Photo from the Chicago Tribune yesterday.

Teachers took time off from their strike against the city of Chicago to protest of the President Trump visit to Chicago.

Not getting into the politics. Just pointing out the grey haired teacher on the left with the cardboard "ISM" sign.

This teacher is a walking billboard for what is WRONG with Chicago teachers!

• Fascis-ism - INCORRECT! Correct spelling FASCISM
  • Misogin-inm - WRONG. Correct spelling MISOGYNISM
  • Narcissi-ism - UH, WRONG. Correctly NARCISSISM
  • Delusion-ism - According to Merrium-Webster's Dictionary "The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary"

This teacher is why we parents need SCHOOL CHOICE!

Attachments

• MNZU6KIZCNCTRE2NGBRRMRGBKI.jpg
    MNZU6KIZCNCTRE2NGBRRMRGBKI.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 157

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The simple solution for the crisis in education is school vouchers. Parents in general are much better than the government in deciding what's best for their kids.

Teachers who go on strike to protest the President should be ignored and replaced.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
The simple solution for the crisis in education is school vouchers. Parents in general are much better than the government in deciding what's best for their kids.

Teachers who go on strike to protest the President should be ignored and replaced.
The Catholic school I went to in the 1950s pushed for school vouchers. I agreed then and now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I were to live in Chicago, I would have definitely joined this strike. ...
There is a shockingly high % of teachers in Chicago who send there own children to private schools.

That tells you everything you need to know about the public schools.

My wife was a teacher, retired because of administrative issues and hated the damn teachers union too. Administration was pushing special needs kids into Advance Placement courses because the special needs 'tracks' were eliminated in an effort to assimilate the special needs kids. It did a disservice to both. Dumbed down the AP classes, hurt the advanced students, and the special needs kids were resented by the advanced students because the AP students could see clearly what was happening. Union extracted dues for lobbying and politics that actually hurt the teachers ability to teach. Unions/politicians pushed for uniform state standards and state testing and created a one-size fits all system for teachers that is totally impractical.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Used to be teachers cared about the kids. Now all they care about is themselves, and use the kids to enrich themselves. If they cared about the kids, there would never be a strike. They would continue teaching the kids. Prove me wrong.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Used to be teachers cared about the kids. Now all they care about is themselves, and use the kids to enrich themselves. If they cared about the kids, there would never be a strike. They would continue teaching the kids. Prove me wrong.
I know both types of teachers.

But the unions are only there to serve one type of teacher, and it is not the type that cares about kids. The administrations, from what I can see at public schools, are often less concerned about actual student achievement and more concerned about making it look like students achieved things.

Ceee

Site Supporter
state testing
I certainly remember when this happened in Texas. And then, Texas starting tying state funding to test scores. I don't know if that was only in Texas or what. I think it was something like at least 70% of the students had to pass each section of the test. I don't remember if the consequences for lower test scores was less funding, no funding, or what. I was teaching in a low-socioeconomic school at the time. The district administrators and administrators at the school level shoved the pressure down from above. It wasn't pretty.

There were never any teacher strikes in Texas that I can remember when I was teaching.

special needs 'tracks' were eliminated in an effort to assimilate the special needs kids
In my district, the special education classes were never eliminated, at least while I was teaching. Some kids, those the teachers/administration thought could interact in the regular classes, were "immersed" into some of the regular classes, like art, home ec, some history, stuff like that. It was called immersion at my school. For the most part, it worked well, and those kids got to interact with the other kids and get a different view than what they were experiencing in the special education classroom. I didn't find it be a bad thing.