• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sno(w) cat serenade, march 13-16, 2020

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
They even have grooming there, you know, for all those Tucker haters that want to take one step back.
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/idaho/guided-snowshoe-hike-id/

This from the National Weather Service today. Friday night is looking good :thumbup:

That looks a lot more welcoming, I revise my previous sarcastic statement to include - on a 95 degree summer day- I couldn’t really picture it all smoothed over in snow that day. I actually really appreciated how immense, rugged, and geologically unique of a place it is. The smart pioneers probably crossed the flow in the winter, looks easier.

Idaho is an unbelievably beautiful state, my wife and I can’t wait to return- only a few months to go!

Last edited:

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
That looks a lot more welcoming, I revise my previous sarcastic statement to include - on a 95 degree summer day- I couldn’t really picture it all smoothed over in snow that day. I actually really appreciated how immense, rugged, and geologically unique of a place it is. The smart pioneers probably crossed the flow in the winter, looks easier.

Idaho is an unbelievably beautiful state, my wife and I can’t wait to return- only a few months to go!

I just shared that because I wouldn't have imagined they would have a groomer there,
but yea it would definitely be tough on a hot summer day. I think if a person just took off out across the lava your shoes would be shot in about a quarter mile. I remember hearing the story as a kid about a guy who robbed the stage from Idaho City to Boise, stole the gold, and was caught near craters of the moon. But they never did find the gold. It's supposed that it was buried near the edge of the lava flow because it would have been tough to wander very far into it. Anyway that's the story. Did you do the craters to peaks route before?

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve been on that route twice, the first time was to ski sun valley about 15 years ago.There was snow at Craters then but we drove past without being able to see what it was.
My wife’s sister and family live in Idaho Falls, we’ve been there 4-5 times

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I discussed this a bit earlier on this thread, but it sounds like it is a for sure thing now. Two of the children, Doreen and Scott, now adults, from these 1962 photos will be coming for at least one day to this Serenade. These are the children of Ross Eskelson who was the individual who wrote the master thesis several of us have used or read for early snowcats. Mr. Eskelson was a design engineer for the Frandee and Thiokols. I will be giving them a ride in the Frandee, however it would be great if some of you other cat owners, especially Thiokols, would let them ride along a bit. They have some great stories of their dad building snowcats, mom building tracks in the garage, and they are incredibly nice people.

201 Prototype.jpg

201s 1962.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
G Moose,

that is wonderful to hear Doreen and Scott of Frandee fame, will be coming, I am sure everyone will be most welcoming and happy to give them rides.

I would like to make sure they are treated like honored guests, and hope they can stay at least one night, and if it is Okay with you, Doreen and Scott, I would like to offer and be more than happy to pay for a room, as guests of the snow cat serenade, the gathering of old grousers. Quite sure, to a person, everyone will want to listen to their stories of growing up, in a snow cat family

Personally, even as a non Frandee/Thiokol owner, I am most interested in the history of snow cats and the story of Frandee/Thiokol is a good one, and gave that non Frandee/Thiokol company fits.

Please let me know of their plans so I can make arrangements for them and thank you so much for inviting them and having them be our guests, very special...

Last edited:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
G Moose,

that is wonderful to hear Doreen and Scott of Frandee fame, will be coming, I am sure everyone will be most welcoming and happy to give them rides.

I would like to make sure they are treated like honored guests, and hope they can stay at least one night, and if it is Okay with you, Doreen and Scott, I would like to offer and be more than happy to pay for a room, as guests of the snow cat serenade, the gathering of old grousers. Quite sure, to a person, everyone will want to listen to their stories of growing up, in a snow cat family

Personally, even as a non Frandee/Thiokol owner, I am most interested in the history of snow cats and the story of Frandee/Thiokol is a good one, and gave that non Frandee/Thiokol company fits.

Please let me know of their plans so I can make arrangements for them and thank you so much for inviting them and having them be our guests, very special...

I will pass the offer on and let you know. Scott was originally saying 1 day, Saturday, with no stay over, Not sure on Doreen yet. I also extended the offer to their brother, whom I have not met yet, I can cover him if he comes.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I will pass the offer on and let you know. Scott was originally saying 1 day, Saturday, with no stay over, Not sure on Doreen yet. I also extended the offer to their brother, whom I have not met yet, I can cover him if he comes.

understand if they do not stay over, either way, want to make sure they are treated well and are shown they are appreciated for taking the time to come,

thank you again for inviting them, a wonderful addition to the gathering.

everyone is welcome to join in and enjoy the wonderful world of snow cats

Last edited:

tuckeredup

:17875:All Right! Found it. Is there a sign up form? I'm in!
I know Sun Valley pretty well having skied there often. Can't wait to see it from a cat. Trying to attach a photo from Sun Valley 2004 back when I knew I was going to have to have a Tucker one day.

Attachments

• Sun Valley Tucker.pdf
    614.6 KB · Views: 143

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
:17875:All Right! Found it. Is there a sign up form? I'm in!
I know Sun Valley pretty well having skied there often. Can't wait to see it from a cat. Trying to attach a photo from Sun Valley 2004 back when I knew I was going to have to have a Tucker one day.

glad you found us!!!

FYI,

no sign up forms and or fees, but if you insist, I can make an exception just for you and charge you and only you, say $2,700.00, for a participation fee...

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
As we wait for the reservation code, thought I would give you cat crazy folks the schedule for the 'Snow Cat Serenade' a 'Gathering of Old Grousers'

First, and really important, all rooms are at the Sun Valley Inn, I have a block of rooms reserved. You are reasonable for making you own reservations and you will need the reservation code to get the preferred rate of $220.00 single occupancy for a Luxury King and $240.00 for single occupancy for 2 Luxury Queens, plus tax of 18%, these rates apply only at the Sun Valley Inn.

I would strongly suggest that you make your reservation within the next 60 days....I will have the code by the 10th of October.

Friday, March 13, 2020,

Arrive and check in at Sun Valley Inn, dinner on your own and or with friends,
about 7:30 pm meet me in the Rams Head Lounge for after dinner drinks, I am Hosting. will hand out packets with info and stuff for the weekend, you will really need this packet to ensure you know where to go and when to meet up, also set up group TEXT, which is really helpful way to stay in touch.

Saturday, March 14, 2020,

Back country snow catting, we will be going north of Ketchum/Sun Valley up the Wood River Valley towards Galena Summit. Hosted lunch is Provided.

Dinner will be a horse drawn sleigh ride to Trail Creek Cabin. These dinners are 4 course, fabulous food and the cabin is truly rustic, with live music. and the sleigh ride back under the stars is so memorable. You will need to make your own reservations when you check in if not sooner.

After dinner, I would suggest heading into Ketchum, to check out the night life, or just go over to the Duchin Room for drinks and live music in the Lodge.

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Back up to Galena Summit area to snow cat up the other side of the valley, deep into the back country. Hosted lunch is provided.

dinner that evening is Bowling, Beer & Pizza in the basement of the Lodge. I am hosting, starting about 6 ish.

Monday, March 16, 2020

Skiing/boarding, ice staking, X-country skiing, hot springs, Spa, shopping, snow shoeing, etc etc etc

check out, saying our good byes, and wishing that we stay a little longer:

now, if you wish to stay a couple extra days, Sun Valley will honor these rates 3 days prior and 3 days following our gathering, the lift tickets are discounted to $92.00 per day or $177.00 for 2 days or $260.00 for 3 days for your entire stay. you may want to add at least one extra day, I am planning to go to the Soldier Mountain area snow catting on Tuesday, another great back country spot. There is so much to do, boarding, skiing X country skiing, Spa, ice staking, hot springs, movie theater, dining, snow shoeing, etc etc etc and extra day or two is warranted.

fyi, both Delta and Alaska Airlines have direct flights into Sun Valley, I know for a fact there will be plenty of extra seats, you do not need to bring a snow cat to come and make some new cat friends.

been asked a few times for the info and thought it easiest to bring the schedule and info back the top, here ya go....

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Gonna wait on a report this time... Not gonna make it.

hot of the presses, the report is in, fabulous event with lots of amazing backcountry snow, and unbelievable people and cats, great folks and everyone enjoyed themselves and everyone is ready for next year, except, this was a one year only event,

sure glad for everyone that is coming, and really appreciate the time and effort it takes to come. thank you so very much

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
hot of the presses, the report is in, fabulous event with lots of amazing backcountry snow, and unbelievable people and cats, great folks and everyone enjoyed themselves and everyone is ready for next year, except, this was a one year only event,

sure glad for everyone that is coming, and really appreciate the time and effort it takes to come. thank you so very much

Report as in fotos/videos, as I'm guessing I'm not the only one who shares those :)

One and only it will be, but doubt that its a last one...

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you to everyone that has made reservations, we have an amazing group of people attending, over 30 rooms booked with folks from both coasts and even a couple from Europe, this will be a very memorable event and the variety of snow cats even more impressive.

On March 14, 2020, we will be having dinner at Trail Creek Cabin, this is very special, 40 minute horse drawn sleigh ride from Sun Valley Inn to the Trail Creek, 4 course dinner, great friends, and unbelievable venue.

Now is the time to make reservations by calling Lori Takahashi at 208 622 2135, we will be doing the 6:30 ride and dinner, the cost is $129.00 per person, plus tax, do tell Lori you are with the Sno Cat Gathering group, and she will make sure we ride as a group in the sleighs and will be seated together at dinner.

fyi, I understand if you wish to make other plans for dinner, you will be missed

Again, this event has taken on a special feel with so many great folks coming, thank you, thank you, thank you...

FYI, here is the info about the trail creek cabin dinner and sled ride, glad to have several folks asking about it...

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
our part of the serenade is meeting at north bend offramp exit 34. 5:30 am march 13 for the drive to the meet. 4 trailers with 5 cats. anyothers are welcome to join. we'll be useing gmrs when traveling.
this is a wide exit for when the pass is shutdown for the vehicles to back up in.
jim

oh,if you want to meet up someplace on the way we can get you the route.

Last edited:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like Doreen and Scott, the children of Ross Eskelson (Frandee/Thiokol design engineer) will be attending on Saturday. Doreen lives close enough to Sun Valley that her and her husband will be driving over for the day. Scott and his wife will be coming over on Friday and spending one night, which I have reserved a room for them.

I need to lean on some of my new snowcat friends to help accommodate them with snowcat seats. I only have room for 2 of them at a time, if I could get a couple seats in another cat or two that would be very much appreciated. They are extremely nice people and they have some very good snowcat stories. If you are driving a Thiokol or Frandee (just in case another one shows up) you might want to hear some of their stories. They also have Tucker stories so that would be cool if they could ride in one of those also. Scott was born the year that my Frandee was made (1953), so he was there when his dad was designing these machines in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

I also need some help on Friday March 13th. My son is graduating from the Marine boot camp that day (yes I am extremely proud), my wife and I will be flying into Sun Valley late (10:59 pm) that night after the graduation. The Frandee will already be there, I am driving up to Sun Valley on the 10th and flying out from there, so if you fly in you may see the Frandee in the parking lot. Since I can't make the meet and greet on Friday I would appreciate it if someone could pick up any information I may need for Saturday morning. If Scott gets there in time, he may be able to do that for me. Also, if by any chance someone needs a ride from the airport to the inn on Friday night I will have room in my truck. Just let me know (208) 221-5595 (David Stites).

France and Devine (Frandee) on the right and Ross Eskelson on the far left. I would imagine that several if not all of these gentlemen were at the Sun Valley event 70 years ago.

20200117_092303_Film3.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a picture of the Eskelson children from back around 1962. Scott is the one driving and Doreen is the one on the right in the back. Scott has not told me anything about this small cat, something we should ask him about at the gathering.

20191204_103643_Film3.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr. G. Moose,

I will make a point of having your info available for you, I can either leave it with the front desk and or meet you for breakfast on Saturday, I would like to buy you, your wife, and your guests ( Scott and his wife) breakfast, I will pm you to make arrangements.

I have seats in a tucker for your guests,

yes, it is great to have the frandee family attend and quite sure the stories they can tell are truly interesting and really what to hear about what they have to say about tucker

now, what I find interesting about your kids snow cat photo, the kids had one and the tucker kids had tucker go carts, no kid snow cat,

think the frandee kids win!!!!

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Now, if they still had rail service...

I've floated the following at a couple of events with "yes that would have been nice" responses. I'm willing to do the board if the folks showing their cats think it would be a good thing. If not, I'm lazy and can skip it.

A display board with cards for each cat there:

Attachments

• brag.jpg
    brag.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 409

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I've floated the following at a couple of events with "yes that would have been nice" responses. I'm willing to do the board if the folks showing their cats think it would be a good thing. If not, I'm lazy and can skip it.

picture at mt hood . we'll have to return sometime.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

be careful of what you volunteer for, great idea and would go a long way to put faces and machines together, so, would you please take on the project, and post to the thread to get a list of who all is attending with cats....and a photo

will pm you also

thank you, thank you, thank you

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I will gladly take on such a project.
What I would like from each "cat" attending is a reasonably recent photo of the cat. The year/make/model of the cat. The forum name of the owner/operator. the owners real name and home town. I would also be willing to put in a short line about the cat, the restoration, etc for people interest.

PLEASE PM THE INFO TO ME. if PM via Forums doesn't work for you send via email to cidertom@yahoo.com I will respond when I get the email, so if you don't get a response in a couple of days try a pm here to check.

CT

nikos

The purpose of the chains that hang the boogie Wheels, is not to turnover?

Nikos

Attachments

• brag.jpg
    brag.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 380