Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Adventure & Usage Forum

Snowcat Adventure & Usage Forum Snow Trac, Kristi, Thickol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier stories & discussions

Old 07-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Jradical is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Washington State Snowcat Owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssort View Post
Planning on going to the Snowmobile Advisory Committee mtg in Wenatchee on July 21/22. Then to the WSSA meeting later in the summer.

Mike Couch is on the SAC, is a cat owner and supporter of trying to get the issue addressed. He is realistic that it's a multi year process.
I was on the Forest Service last winter about snow cat access here in Chelan Co. and they wanted nothing to do with the idea of running a snow cat on groomed runs for better access opportunities. If they were more lenient on the authorized vehicle laws for groomed runs I'd go buy a snow cat tomorrow!! If there are some people that still want access we should get together and see what we can do about the FS and Snowmobile clubs. I am quite tired of being bullied by our federal department's and their land use laws.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,738 Times in 772 Posts
JimVT is on a distinguished road

they came up with a new one ,atleast it new to me.
only snowmobiles under 1000lbs
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon
Old 07-18-2019, 08:34 PM

ssort is on a distinguished road

Jradical, the issue is not the Feds or the State of WA and land use. The issue is that the SnoMo clubs have been lobbying for years and years and they are well organized and incredibly well funded. Thousands and thousands of them and only a handful of 'us'. And they are funding the grooming on the roads designated by the State for snomo only use with each and every snomo registration. Very tough to overcome. I'm about to sell my Pisten Bully Scout due to limited areas to use it at least here in the Winthrop area.......................
Old 07-20-2019, 12:38 PM

Thanked 1,161 Times in 260 Posts
GlacierSean is on a distinguished road

One of the largest snowmobile clubs in Colorado recently changed it's name to be more inclusive. They wanted the tracked utv/atv owners, the timbersled owners and the private snowcat owners to feel welcome to join. On the other hand, whenever we snowcat somewhere that has a snowmobile tour or snowcat ski operation. We have conflict. Some places (kebler pass) have banned private snowcats. We also have places we are allowed to go (because snowmobiles are allowed) but can't access the area. The issue is the forest service. They leave their gates closes (to keep the off road vehicles out until the snow melts). The snowmobiles are allowed to squeeze around the gates but we would have to drive over them. All we get from the forest service is "we will look into it and get back to you." haven't ever heard back.

Snowcat access is different everywhere and it's frustrating. We definitely need some sort of equal access legislation. Since that will probably never happen we could try to put together a snowcat usage map or guide. I am hopeful the relationship with the snowmobile club will help us keep our snowcat access.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GlacierSean For This Useful Post:
Northcoast (07-22-2019), olympicorange (07-20-2019), Pontoon Princess (07-24-2019), sno-drifter (07-24-2019), Sno-Surfer (07-21-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,420 Times in 423 Posts
Blackfoot Tucker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierSean View Post
One of the largest snowmobile clubs in Colorado recently changed it's name to be more inclusive. They wanted the tracked utv/atv owners, the timbersled owners and the private snowcat owners to feel welcome to join. On the other hand, whenever we snowcat somewhere that has a snowmobile tour or snowcat ski operation. We have conflict. Some places (kebler pass) have banned private snowcats. We also have places we are allowed to go (because snowmobiles are allowed) but can't access the area. The issue is the forest service. They leave their gates closes (to keep the off road vehicles out until the snow melts). The snowmobiles are allowed to squeeze around the gates but we would have to drive over them. All we get from the forest service is "we will look into it and get back to you." haven't ever heard back.

Snowcat access is different everywhere and it's frustrating. We definitely need some sort of equal access legislation. Since that will probably never happen we could try to put together a snowcat usage map or guide. I am hopeful the relationship with the snowmobile club will help us keep our snowcat access.
Sean,

I'm curious... When I read this:

"The issue is the forest service. They leave their gates closes (to keep the off road vehicles out until the snow melts). The snowmobiles are allowed to squeeze around the gates but we would have to drive over them. All we get from the forest service is "we will look into it and get back to you." haven't ever heard back."

I think the situation with Utah State Route 150 (AKA: Mirror Lake Highway) may be similar. The land is US Forest Service property. The road isn't plowed and the gate is left open in the fall and early winter. One can drive past the gate for several miles until there is adequate snow, and unload there and go have fun. Eventually they close the gate, and there's room for snowmobiles, snowcats, etc to get around the closed gate. In the spring they open the gate before the road is fully plowed and one can similarly drive past the gate and unload at a higher elevation where there's adequate snow.

The Mirror lake Highway area is part of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest Complex. There are lots of access points and I recall maybe a dozen years ago we had some pretty large early season snowfalls... that didn't melt. This was during hunting season and there were several people who had driven in and got their vehicles stuck in the snow (where they remained until the snow melted in the spring). I can understand why the USFS wouldn't want that to occur, or for people to drive past an open gate, get stuck and need to be rescued. Those reasons being the justification for the closed gate(s).

I subscribe to two behavioral theories:

1.) Don't ask the question if you can't stand the answer.

2.) It's easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

(If those don't work, there's always the fighter pilot mantra: "If you're not cheating, you're not trying!)

If snowcats are allowed past the closed gate, and it's the closed gate that's stopping you, it would seem there's some logic in developing a way to get beyond the gate in a way that does not damage public property in the form of the gate or any surrounding fencing or trees. What would be wrong with say using a blade-equipped snowcat to mound up some snow over the top of the gate so that you could drive over the gate and not damage it?

I realize you're just a "youngster", and this may be before you were even born, but it's a true American classic. Some inspiration from Animal House may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVY7w9DqZ_A
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blackfoot Tucker For This Useful Post:
olympicorange (07-27-2019), Pontoon Princess (07-24-2019), redsqwrl (07-26-2019), sno-drifter (07-24-2019), wbuffetjr1 (08-06-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:11 AM
Bronze Member

Jphoenix is on a distinguished road

Question for WA state snow cat owners:

I’m looking at a Spryte that’s 10’ wide, do any of you trailer your cat that is over 8’6” wide and do you get an oversize permit?

I’m reading the WA state rules and it states anything over that width is oversize and needs a permit, but the language is speaking specifically to commercial hauls, so I’m not sure one is needed.

In any case, what do you guys do about trailering your wide cat to the mountains?

“For a little more, you can do it yourself”... Ed Hollingsworth
Old 07-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphoenix View Post
Question for WA state snow cat owners:

I’m looking at a Spryte that’s 10’ wide, do any of you trailer your cat that is over 8’6” wide and do you get an oversize permit?

I’m reading the WA state rules and it states anything over that width is oversize and needs a permit, but the language is speaking specifically to commercial hauls, so I’m not sure one is needed.

In any case, what do you guys do about trailering your wide cat to the mountains?
you'll need a permit in Washington. the stat patrol web page will tell what to do. you can get permits on line But if traction tire are required all permits are cancelled. jim
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon
Old 07-26-2019, 12:10 PM
Bronze Member

Jphoenix is on a distinguished road

Good info, thanks Jim.

Your Snow Trac is under 8’6” width, right? Know of any for sale that are not in Alaska?

“For a little more, you can do it yourself”... Ed Hollingsworth
Old 07-26-2019, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphoenix View Post
Good info, thanks Jim.

Your Snow Trac is under 8’6” width, right? Know of any for sale that are not in Alaska?
yes the snow trac is but i think track masters are over by a few inches. that is the one on Alaska craigs.
don't know of any snow tracs for sale close to home.
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon