• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

THIOKOL 600 REGRISTRATION PAGE

fritz

20210604_181002.jpg
new to me 1963 601 #135. Cab was cut down by a previous owner. In need of advice on where to find parts like mirrors and wipers also would like to track down an owners manual. also, what are you guys running in the rear diff for lube?

fritz

View attachment 137790new to me 1963 601 #135. Cab was cut down by a previous owner. In need of advice on where to find parts like mirrors and wipers also would like to track down an owners manual. also, what are you guys running in the rear diff for lube?
I was wondering if anyone here would know how to go about finding out where this machine was during her bit with the air force? I have the history of her after that, just curious as to where she started off in life

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
View attachment 137790new to me 1963 601 #135. Cab was cut down by a previous owner. In need of advice on where to find parts like mirrors and wipers also would like to track down an owners manual. also, what are you guys running in the rear diff for lube?
Fritz,

Forum member Weatherby created a very detailed and thorough thread on his restoration of an ex-USAF 601. Incredible attention to detail and execution. INCREDIBLE!

I suggest you grab your favorite adult beverage and settle in before you start reading the thread. Like a good book - you can't stop reading.

Sadly, he's not on the forum much anymore, but you might be able to reach out to him via a PM. In addition to his skills, he's a super nice guy.

fritz

Fritz,

Forum member Weatherby created a very detailed and thorough thread on his restoration of an ex-USAF 601. Incredible attention to detail and execution. INCREDIBLE!

I suggest you grab your favorite adult beverage and settle in before you start reading the thread. Like a good book - you can't stop reading.

Sadly, he's not on the forum much anymore, but you might be able to reach out to him via a PM. In addition to his skills, he's a super nice guy.
I've been reading and rereading his thread, tons of info. I would love to talk with him a bit. He did an awesome job on that 601.

fritz

Does anyone have any recommendations on fluids to use? I haven't been able to track down a manual yet, but would like to change diff and transmission oil.

modifier

604 1966 ser. 281 Sold to Orleans Levee Board. Louisiana
I haven't worked on it yet but it appears to have power steering. Vacuum brake boosters.

Attachments

• !604 hardtop data tag.jpg
    !604 hardtop data tag.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
  • !604 hardtop1.jpg
    !604 hardtop1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 115
  • !604hardtop2.jpg
    !604hardtop2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20211124_160201.jpg
    20211124_160201.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 118

modifier

I haven't worked on it yet but it appears to have power steering. Vacuum brake boosters.
It's missing some grousers. All traction type, but if I can get 8 standard 201 style I can cut them down to length and weld on the paddles. Anybody have any? I need some backing plates too. 8 plus some are flat stock. I didn't make note of the number. Maybe 10 more.

PradoTDI

Very cool! Don't see those too often. I haven't had much luck finding grousers, but am working on a die to bend my own tubing to make new ones, kind of a back burner project at the moment right now though. It looks like your grousers don't have wear bars on the drop centers? As far as backing plates, @redsqwrl has a die set that @weatherby made years ago for forming new aluminum ones, you may be able to work something out with him on that. I will need to make some new backing plates for mine too when I finally get working on it.

modifier

Very cool! Don't see those too often. I haven't had much luck finding grousers, but am working on a die to bend my own tubing to make new ones, kind of a back burner project at the moment right now though. It looks like your grousers don't have wear bars on the drop centers? As far as backing plates, @redsqwrl has a die set that @weatherby made years ago for forming new aluminum ones, you may be able to work something out with him on that. I will need to make some new backing plates for mine too when I finally get working on it.
I think there might only be 1 other 604 we know of. I see one on here and that might be it. People say the backing plates are aluminum but mine appear to be steel. I'd have to investigate further. There is steel welded to the top of the centers. Let me know if you get to making the centers. That's the hardest part.

PradoTDI

Wow, even rarer than I thought. All my backing plates are aluminum, I wonder if the 604 got steel ones instead for some reason? I have all the parts ready for a prototype tight radius 1-1/4" bending die for my tubing bender, hopefully I can make it work for grousers. There are a couple of steel suppliers who stock the half-oval bar necessary for the inner piece of the grouser, I believe it is 1-1/4"x3/8". The only issue for me is figuring out how to get it shipped!

modifier

This side is better than the other side. I need to weld new pads on many of the grousers.

Attachments

• 20211227_162407.jpg
    20211227_162407.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 100

modifier

the latest find

data tag reads:
thiokol model 604
serial number 232
year of MFG......BLANK
shipping weight 5650
GVW 8600

location,,,,,,,in a cow pasture in central california
Hi. I've been talking to a guy named Tim who has a 604 like mine, and he is in California, and his had the same plate on the back saying to put the plug in before you go in the water, but his is inside a building mostly disassembled at this point. I'll ask his ser#. So that is either his from a long time ago, or there is another one and they all had that red plate. Mine does not. More info on it?

modifier

Hi. I've been talking to a guy named Tim who has a 604 like mine, and he is in California, and his had the same plate on the back saying to put the plug in before you go in the water, but his is inside a building mostly disassembled at this point. I'll ask his ser#. So that is either his from a long time ago, or there is another one and they all had that red plate. Mine does not. More info on it?
I just messaged him and that was his 604 before his friend bought it, then he got it.

fritz

I'm interested in seeing how your brake system is setup. How did they work the boosters in?

modifier

I'm interested in seeing how your brake system is setup. How did they work the boosters in?
2 vacuum brake boosters, 1 for each side and 1 vacuum accumulation tank. I have no idea if they are working or not. Working through a rebuild of the brake system. After I get that sorted I'll probably pull these and see how they are. If it's not factory someone did a very clean job after the fact. Not on my build sheet, but neither is my winch, and while the hydraulic winch has been replace the rest of it looks original.

Attachments

• 20211222_162150.jpg
    20211222_162150.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100