• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Veterans Day tribute

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Tomorrow we observe Veterans Day, a day set aside to honor our veterans and to show appreciation for the courage and patriotism of all the men and women who have served in the military.

From the fields and forests of war-torn Europe to the jungles of Southeast Asia, from the deserts of Iraq to the mountains of Afghanistan, brave patriots have protected our nation’s ideals, rescued millions from tyranny, and helped spread freedom around the globe. America’s veterans answered the call when asked to protect our nation from some of the most brutal oppression the world has ever known.

Military service demands a special kind of sacrifice. The places where you are sent to live and serve bring risk every day. From the time you put on that uniform for the first time, the interests of the nation move to the forefront and define your life. Those duties are ultimately shared by family members who make many sacrifices of their own, sometimes bearing the burden of losing a loved one.

Service brings rewards as well. There is the pride in developing one’s own character, serving a cause far greater than self-interest. Every man and woman who wears America’s uniform is part of a long, unbroken line of achievement and honor. No single military power in history has done greater good, shown greater courage, liberated more people or upheld higher standards of decency and valor than the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

That is a legacy to be proud of and those who contributed to it must never be taken for granted. To honor our veterans, we must keep the promises we have made to them. We must care for those who have been injured in the service of our country. We must honor and remember those who have died. And we must remember those whose fate is still undetermined. We fly the Prisoner of War flag on Veterans Day for a reason, to show that this nation will not relent until we have accounted for every last one of our missing Americans.

Thank you for your service. Thank you for all that you have sacrificed for this great nation. Thank you for being the backbone of America.

Attachments

• 2699EEFA-8AF0-48CC-ABB9-5B903F325BE3.jpg
    2699EEFA-8AF0-48CC-ABB9-5B903F325BE3.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 131
  • C625BAF5-A6E1-4FAE-97CB-444061332A27.jpg
    C625BAF5-A6E1-4FAE-97CB-444061332A27.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

PJL

Well said, thank you. I did 3 years Army peacetime. My dad served in Korea. 2 brothers served in the Marine Corps.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good post MNoutdoors!!
I served in the Navy. Vietnam Vet., Dad was in Army, 101st Airborne during Korean war.

Attachments

• WhatIsAVeteran.jpg
    WhatIsAVeteran.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 110

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
For you it's veterans day. For us in Canada it's remembrance day. We have a big ceremony at 11am to remember all those who served in the wars. I was part of an honor guard yesterday at the legion not far from us. Our scout troop is invited every year to participate. We did it yesterday as part of the big breakfast we participate in every month at the legion.

My grandfather served in ww2 with the Canadian military over in Holland (I believe). He never spoke of the war so we had very little information. Like many young men, he was only 17 when he enlisted. From the little information that we know, he was on a bridge building crew going in before the battle to make river crossings possible. I was also told that he was on a clean up crew going in after the battle to clean up the casualties. Something that I can only imagine.

37bc8925216be801c97d1adda3f577b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk