• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My wife wants to cut her own baseboards for a flip house

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am watching cautiously.

To save money I think my wife has gone off the deep end and will end up wasting time and materials ... but she needs to try it to learn.

She wants to take 1/2" MDF 4x8' sheets and rip them down into strips to use a baseboards. Somehow I suspect that it will take a brand new 72-tooth furniture grade 10" blade on my table saw ... which is not a large furniture type saw, but is rather a lighter/smaller portable table saw.

Or perhaps a ripping fence (for about $75) and a new thin kerf 60 tooth blade on one of my circular saws, set up on a half dozen saw horses.

Either way I don't expect to get a nice factory square & smooth edge, which is what she is looking to get.

In either case she will only end up with 8' long baseboards.

My logic is to buy the pre-primed baseboards in 12' lengths.

She is determined.

I believe she will learn the hard way.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, she will. That is not the way to do it.

I tried to explain.

Hobby grade equipment set up on a driveway are not quite going to deliver results she is looking for but she needs to try.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We've all been there, done that and got the t-shirt Bob. All you can do is roll with the flow.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried to explain.

Hobby grade equipment set up on a driveway are not quite going to deliver results she is looking for but she needs to try.

Took a quick look at Lowes online

1x4x8 MDF was $9.88 actual 3 1/2” x 0.625”

4x8 MDF was $38.97 only thickness listed was 0.5” or 0.75”

With 8’ lengths most every wall will have a splice. With the 12’s lot of walls will just take one piece.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Took a quick look at Lowes online

1x4x8 MDF was $9.88 actual 3 1/2” x 0.625”

4x8 MDF was $38.97 only thickness listed was 0.5” or 0.75”

With 8’ lengths most every wall will have a splice. With the 12’s lot of walls will just take one piece.

YUP, I pointed that out too.

Geez, MDF for baseboards.

And to make matters worse, I have about 120' of nice primed baseboards neatly stacked in a pile in my workshop that she does NOT want to use.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
There is no way in this I world try to rip 4X8 panels into what, 4" strips using the saw available to her, when the pre-primed trim is so readily available. I wouldn't try it, but if she is determined, so be it.
Just be prepared to buy a new table saw in the future.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is no way in this I world try to rip 4X8 panels into what, 4" strips using the saw available to her...

Preaching to the choir :punk:

But I have come to the conclusion that she will have to figure it out for herself.

Oh, and she measured the windows today and wants to pre-cut all the window trim and drive it out to the flip house. I explained some of the issues with that too, but :bolt:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Just wait till she sees how much paint the MDF soaks up !

And the corner that is exposed will need to be sanded or it will be like a serrated knife until pieces start falling off.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this a lesson in why not to buy a flipped house?

Overall this one is going so well. Picked up at auction at $72K, probably have $35K, maybe $45K (only if we really go crazy) into it when we are done. Market price is probably close to $170. So good profit potential. Have had possession for about 25 days and have made excellent progress. Windows are replaced. Wiring is being upgraded. Powder room getting a shower so make it a 2 bathroom house. Converted 1 of the 5 bedrooms into a formal dining room.

The lovely Mrs_Bob is doing the designing but she asked to save the painting for her sister and she wants to do the trim.

I have my contractors doing 98% of the work ... I did swing the wrecking bar a few times during demo day ... but so far the only reason I break a sweat while inspecting it is because its hot and humid, not because I am doing work. One of the neighbors is having his lawn service mow the 1/3 acre lawn for me for $25/week.

It actually seems like the ideal house to flip. Its old, its got issues, a few unexpected but none that are terrible. But the lovely Mrs_Bob needs to learn a few more things. I can't blame her, in fact its good she wants to learn, but some lessons will be learned the hard way.

And the corner that is exposed will need to be sanded or it will be like a serrated knife until pieces start falling off.

I tried to explain. I really did. :hammer:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Preaching to the choir :punk:

But I have come to the conclusion that she will have to figure it out for herself.

Oh, and she measured the windows today and wants to pre-cut all the window trim and drive it out to the flip house. I explained some of the issues with that too, but :bolt:

If there is any possible way to talk her out of this, you should. I realize that the answer is probably not.

I have a complete set of professional tools along with appropriate blades and space and skills. And moulding heads. There is no way I would attempt to do what she wants to do, and if I did it would not be MDF, and if it was I would not try to do it off site, especially on a lightweight 24" table portable saw. Aside from being unsafe, you will not get a straight cut.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
1) Standard MDF is not durable enough for baseboards.
2) Premade MDF trims are compression molded making them more dense.
3) MDF in 4'X8' pieces is very heavy and too unwieldy for a portable table saw. I wouldn't try anything like this without a proper table high set up with roller "T" stands
4)Telling a woman "NO" is likely the most dangerous act any man can perform. Just short of saying "I told you so."

good luck with it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
1) Standard MDF is not durable enough for baseboards.
2) Premade MDF trims are compression molded making them more dense.
3) MDF in 4'X8' pieces is very heavy and too unwieldy for a portable table saw. I wouldn't try anything like this without a proper table high set up with roller "T" stands
4)Telling a woman "NO" is likely the most dangerous act any man can perform. Just short of saying "I told you so."

good luck with it.

As I said, she has to learn for herself on this one.

And as I said, I have about 120' of pre-primed pine baseboards in my workshop waiting to fulfill their destiny :unsure:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
If I was a buyer, I would be upset with this. If she wants to try an alternative material, how about the air/plastic stuff.

I'm probably a little particular since I've done some building besides my own house. I prefer wood looking wood with a rounded edge. I also dull the edge of all trim because it holds paint much better that way. (True on metal also.)

Also I seem to remember that MDF doesn't take a nail very good. Tends to break especially in narrower widths. Gonna have to predrill every hole.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I was a buyer, I would be upset with this. If she wants to try an alternative material, how about the air/plastic stuff.

I'm probably a little particular since I've done some building besides my own house. I prefer wood looking wood with a rounded edge. I also dull the edge of all trim because it holds paint much better that way. (True on metal also.)

Also I seem to remember that MDF doesn't take a nail very good. Tends to break especially in narrower widths. Gonna have to predrill every hole.

I hate MDF.

My house, however has poplar and cherry. Stained not painted. Hard corners. And milled to non-standard sizes. I hate painted wood.

But if it has to be painted wood then I favor pine because it is easy to work with, takes nails easily, takes paint easily, and can be had fairly inexpensively.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate MDF.

My house, however has poplar and cherry. Stained not painted. Hard corners. And milled to non-standard sizes. I hate painted wood.

But if it has to be painted wood then I favor pine because it is easy to work with, takes nails easily, takes paint easily, and can be had fairly inexpensively.

My house is full of "unpainted" woodwork. So I can relate.

I made my own base boards throughout a well. Cut from 1"X 6" Oak and pine using a router on a stand to cut a custom pattern.

Six panel pine wood doors through out as well.

I stain without varnish. I like the natural look.

Last edited:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, all my woodwork is stained. The livingroom has 2 different colors of green stain and slate or marble windowsills ( made out of green marble cutting boards). The 3 pine 6 panel doors are also stained dark green. Baseboard is full 6" pine run by a router for a round edge and stained a normal brown.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the budget project just cost me a $20 gallon (to start) of primer, sandpaper, paint rollers, rubber gloves, dust masks, etc

So I will be presenting my wife the bill moments before I say “Told you so” and then duck for cover.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the budget project just cost me a $20 gallon (to start) of primer, sandpaper, paint rollers, rubber gloves, dust masks, etc

So I will be presenting my wife the bill moments before I say “Told you so” and then duck for cover.

Good luck. I can’t see a happy ending in your future :bolt:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought I'd update this with some photos.

HOUSE GOES ON THE MARKET in the next day or two!!!

Not only did we do baseboards, we did door and window trim, specialty trim to fake some pilasters, and also did wainscoting in the dining room. It looks great. Not sure it will hold up for a few decades. Wood would have been better. But without abuse this should be OK. Did some nice detailing around the big kitchen to living room opening. Some false reverse pilasters on the base of the kitchen island.

Realize this is a house that will sell for about US$160,000 so its not a premium grade house. Upstairs all the windows and doors use standard grade casement from the hardware store. Tossed in a couple of stained glass windows that we found at a junk/antique/salvage shop for $50 each to add a bit more architectural interest.

Here are photos of a the FAUX wood work... much as I bitched and moaned about it, I think it came out really well and even complimented my wife on her choice. NOT that I want to ever do it again!

Attachments

• WKkluAVpTPu9pyJMQbe8OQ.jpg
    WKkluAVpTPu9pyJMQbe8OQ.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 21
  • S4YBi45fRD67WzdJFtHUJA.jpg
    S4YBi45fRD67WzdJFtHUJA.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
  • CQe9YXktTFaYd5p5ihYTZg.jpg
    CQe9YXktTFaYd5p5ihYTZg.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 21
  • hWAmPWSPQTqWQoQ5wH%jdA.jpg
    hWAmPWSPQTqWQoQ5wH%jdA.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 21

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

This. The finish on cut mdf sucks. There’s a reason why they come with that weird coating.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This. The finish on cut mdf sucks. There’s a reason why they come with that weird coating.

She sanded, then primed ... then painted.

Not worth the effort in my mind.

But...