• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WARNING: regarding doing business with Sportsman's Guide

Sir Knight

I'm not sure where is the best place to put this. If this is not the correct forum for it, I would ask the staff to move it accordingly .....

I always liked dealing with the Sportsman's Guide. Purchased a lot of interesting things from them including some pretty good deals on ammo and extra gun magazines and just fun stuff that I didn't even know existed. However, I was less than pleased when I came across the following website ...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/OrderStatus/OrderDisplayNew.aspx

... If you know a person's last name and zip code, you can bring up their entire order history. What they purchased, when purchased, when sent, when received, etc.

I see this as a HUGE security risk. Using common last names, I was able to bring up several orders in a matter of a few minutes. Uisng common last names from a local phone book would result in an even higher success rate. Imagine what a less than honest person could do with this information ...

Hello Mr. Smith, we noticed you ordered a xxxxx (obtained from the website) from us. We were having a problem processing your credit card. Can you verify it ends in (randonly make up a number) 2932. That's not it? That could be the problem. Let's start verifying your information is correct.

Your address is xxxxxxxx
(obtained from the website)
The Item ordered was xxxxx (obtained from the website)
and what is your credit card number?

Thank you sir. On behalf of sportsman's guide, Have a nice day.

... given the fact that they had your home address and knew exactly what you ordered, how many folks would not give them their credit card number thinking that it was a legitamite [sp] call?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting.

I stopped dealing withthem a while back and have no desire to buy ever again. This is just another nail in their coffin.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why in the heck would they make all that available to everyone? What a poor poor business decision. I'm sure they will loose business over this.

Thanks for posting this Sir Knight.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for posting.

I'm emailing them a complaint.

At least there is a time limit, they only go back 120 days so 4 months from now your purchase info won't show.

Jim

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Always was intrigued with their ads but never bought from them, now I'm glad I didn't.

Thanks SK!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I typed in my name and my zip code of the city I was born in. Dang my cousins buy a lot of stuff from them. Well I won't be ever buying from them.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's the link to their contact form to complain.

I've forwarded this info to several friends who aren't members here or on Sir Knights forum.

Jim