• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Alaska Jay, Here. Getting Started On A Snow-Trac Refurbishing Job.

Last weekend I bought a 67 ST-4. It's in pretty good shape, body wise. But has a ton of shitty wiring and 50 years worth of added on unnecessary bullcrap that has got to go. It runs fine, but the transmission worries me. It popped out of reverse a few times during the only test run I've done. Once I figured out the gear positioning, all the forward gears seem to operate ok, but I just don't feel a positive engagement when I shift gears. It's going to get swapped with a freshly rebuilt tranny with a 4.375 gear ratio from Aircooled.net. I asked them for a 5 speed, but they said it would run about $5000! No thanks..

The engine is getting swapped with a mid 90s 2.5 Subaru engine. I may have chose a different one, but I couldn't pass the deal up. I got a complete (except the rear diff) Forester which was involved in a rollover for $150.

I don't see any braking system in the rig. There's a brake pedal, but it's locked solid with the clutch pedal and I don't see any braking mechanisms under the hood (although, I didn't spend a ton of time looking so far). I have found 2 cable conduits that pass over the frame, midway back under the cabin. They look like e-brake cables, but again, I didn't see where they connect to up front. Whatever, I'll install brakes as well, if there are none.

All wiring is getting replaced. Dash is getting replaced with all new gauges. Gas tank and battery are getting mounted outside. All rivets are getting replaced and body seams getting reinforced with aluminum doubler plates. Sliding fabric too is getting replaced with a sheet of aluminum. However, I'll probably find a sunroof to install. Interior is getting stripped and spray-foamed (to dampen all the noise), then coated with bedliner. In the end, I'll have 2 forward facing seats up front and all cargo space behind. Maybe possibly have seating options in the rear.

Anyway, I'm just getting underway. I've got parts on order and have managed to do lots of stripping in the interior. I'll attach some pics.

View attachment 86263

image.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great!

Keep the photos coming. We love photos of progress.

Lots of us have restored/worked on/rebuilt Snow Traks so you have plenty of people willing and able to offer advice.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
nice rig I cant see getting away from the aircooled engine I like your top ideas but these little things are hard enough for me to get in and out of as far as i'm concerned every one else can sit sideways.

I don't know why the last couple pics are sideways, or why the last one shows up as a link, rather than a photo.. Probably a size issue.

Anyway, you can see the interior stripping coming along nicely.

akmountaineer

If you feel like posting a procedure and pics of your transmission and engine swap, that would be great. I have the exact same issue with mine popping out of reverse.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
You did good on that machine,
He did tell you that was a positive ground for some reason
,the fob on the key chain bet thAt rig was up in Prudho during discovery days
I told Doug to let me know if you need anything I got track parts and some into or stuff you may need
I was not a fan of thT winch on the fr bet you could get a grand for it!
Steve

It's not a positive ground. Just a red wire used for the negative ground connection. Anyway, it will all be new and correct before the next time the thing runs.

The monstrosity of a winch is getting cut off. I have one that has probably double the pulling power and weighs half of the weight. It will be able to slip into either a front or rear receiver.

I'd be interested in track rollers, if you have some. Basically everything besides the undercarriage, chain drives, and variator will be completely new.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Just pm me should be able to fix you up.
Steve at CAC plastic in Wasila was is working on a riser for the cab on the the st4 and he got a set of plastic sprocket made up also. I think he got a mock up in the shop now if not he should!

That rig a guy on hillside owned it and did a pretty good write up on going threw the undercarage on it so it should be real strong!

Did he give you the fob on the key chain? Think it was an Alantic Richfield one (ARCO) 67 68 discovery days on the slope so some important butts in the development of the slope could have ridden in it

I had a nice real live st4 capstin winch for a st4 your vintage but in a laps in my other wise upstanding moral fiber I sold it in a huff ad scurried down to 4 AV to as my former friend in New Hampshire said swapped a winch for a wench!
But if I was in Portland and in the company of another one of my calk footed friends. BRUNSIDE!:wow:

Next will be to patch that rotted hole in the floor along with those brake cable recesses and start reinforcing the seams, replacing all rivets, stripping the dash, wiring, fuel line, etc..

Then on to spray foaming and bedlinering.

That rig a guy on hillside owned it and did a pretty good write up on going threw the undercarage on it so it should be real strong!

You taking about my rig? I'd like to see that write up. Please point me to it. Or show me a link. I notice the frame under it is pretty beefy steel rectangle tubing. Is that original, or was that an aftermarket modification?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
good choice,it saves the inside for gear.I have the same location on mine, up on the rear running board but a plastic one.
I heard of one other with the floor eaten like yours. it was marmonts and couldn't be driven .it was at a pumping station on the oil line.
jim