• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Senate Overrides Obama's 9/11 Veto, Only One Senator Votes to Sustain It

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Senate Overrides Obama's 9/11 Veto, Only One Senator Votes to Sustain It
Cortney O'Brien Posted: Sep 28, 2016 1:35 PM

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2016/09/28/911-veto-override-n2224849

In a vote of 97-1 (the only rebel being Minority Leader Harry Reid), the Senate voted to override President Obama's veto of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA). The bipartisan bill allows the families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia for its alleged support of terrorism. It is the first time Obama has faced a veto override in his presidency.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) celebrated the successful effort.

“I applaud my colleagues for joining together and with the American people to stand against President Obama’s attempt to deprive terror victims from receiving full recourse under the law,” Sen. Cruz said. “Our nation has a duty to ensure that American victims of terrorism, first and foremost the 9/11 families, are able to receive justice. Congress, by passing JASTA, will do just that and will continue to protect our brave men and women in uniform who defend our freedoms and way of life across the globe. I encourage my colleagues in the House to follow the Senate in overriding the president’s veto and enact JASTA into law.”

The House will vote next and Speaker Paul Ryan expects they too will have more than enough votes. Even House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi noted that she would vote to override Obama's veto, arguing that September 11 families deserve their day in court.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Harry's mind left him long ago!! I think the fall he took scrambled what little was left.
Mike

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Congress Votes to Override Obama Veto on 9/11 Victims Bill
By JENNIFER STEINHAUER, MARK MAZZETTI and JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS SEPT. 28, 2016

WASHINGTON — Congress on Wednesday voted overwhelmingly to override a veto by President Obama for the first time, passing into law a bill that would allow the families of those killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to sue Saudi Arabia for any role in the plot.

Democrats in large numbers joined with Republicans to deliver a remarkable rebuke to the president. The 97-to-1 vote in the Senate and the 348-to-77 vote in the House displayed the enduring power of the Sept. 11 families in Washington and the diminishing influence here of the Saudi government.

Much more at the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/u...ide-obama-veto-on-9-11-victims-bill.html?_r=1

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Tim Kaine No Show at 9/11 Bill Vote
Cortney O'Brien Posted: Sep 28, 2016 5:00 PM

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...pitol-hill-but-avoided-911-bill-vote-n2224932

The Senate and House of Representatives voted to override President Obama's veto of JASTA on Wednesday, legislation that allows 9/11 victims' families to sue Saudi Arabia. It was the first time Obama has faced an override since entering the Oval Office. The Senate vote was not even close, passing on an overwhelmingly bipartisan tally of 97-1. Harry Reid was the only senator to vote to sustain it.

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA), Hillary Clinton's 2016 running mate, was not present for the historic moment.

Unfortunately, the vice presidential nominee could not use geography as an excuse. In a press release, the Republican National Committee pointed out that Kaine was only 10 miles away from Capitol Hill at the time of the vote, appearing at an event in Alexandria, VA.

Sen. Bernie Sanders also missed the vote, for the same reason - he was stumping for Clinton.

Earlier this week, the Clinton campaign indicated Clinton would sign the bill if it reached her desk.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Can our legal eagle JPR please chime in on the legal ramifications of this?

Does this open the door for all lawsuits, including against us?
What does the legal community have to say generally?

I have to wonder if Obama might actually be correct in this one?

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
Does this open the door for all lawsuits, including against us?
What does the legal community have to say generally?

I have to wonder if Obama might actually be correct in this one?

Nothing legally new here.

NATION STATES have been held accountable for their actions before, and HAVE paid reparations to injured parties.

No individuals (to my knowledge) have ever been prosecuted for any (legal) actions while performing as an agent of a STATE.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Awesome! Now let's sue those rag head moslems for every nickle they have. Time for those mouth breathers to ante up.

As for old One Eye Harry, he ain't the same since the rubber band machine got the best of him. He wasn't all there before, so............:yum::yum: