• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Hydraulic Pump 442A

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Working on a steering issue with my old cat where the pressure builds intermittent. Thinking it is the pump and maybe the priority valve doing something weird. Could also be some suction filter remnants from when it came apart last season.

This cat came with rear hydraulics that are no longer used. Therefore we have two extra outlets we don't need.

So plan is to get a new pump bolt on plug and play then filter the return line with a spin on flush everything and rebuild the orbitrol. That should be everything except the piston which I don't think is the issue.

Pump on it from the factory is a V210-5-1C-12-363 2800 RPM.

The modern replacement I have come up with is a v20-1R5P-1C11 or part#02-142872.

Any hydraulic people feel free to weigh in.

Problem with having the current pump rebuild is trying to filter the 3 return lines and we don't need the extra clutter. I guess if you can rebuild and eliminate/plug the extra ports that could be a solution?

New pump is under 400$.

Thanks in advance from the East!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are some pics. Will plug the two returns on bottom of tank then thread a nipple onto the front one in picture and hang filter off of that.

Should be neat and clean.

Attachments

• 6B5875D6-B010-4592-8CAC-C7620CFAD44C.jpeg
    6B5875D6-B010-4592-8CAC-C7620CFAD44C.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 225
  • F2931AC2-F0DE-4A33-8E38-6ED50D87B51B.jpeg
    F2931AC2-F0DE-4A33-8E38-6ED50D87B51B.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 239
  • D0468356-251C-4AD2-A5A8-ABDF0EC221F5.jpeg
    D0468356-251C-4AD2-A5A8-ABDF0EC221F5.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 225

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
My slightly later Tuckers use the V-20P pump, and Tucker still uses that pump on some of their current production machines.

I've started on a write-up of a steering system upgrade my snowcat buddy and I did which involved (among other things) reconfiguring the hydraulic pump. I'll try and finish that, and post it on the Snowzilla thread within a day or so. I think there's quite a bit of information you might find helpful.

You should have a large diameter (roughly 1 1/4" or 1 1/2") fluid supply line from the reservoir to the pump. You should have a high pressure line from the pump to the steering control valve, and a return line from the steering control valve to the reservoir. There should also be a line returning excess pump output to the reservoir.

In the second photo you show the hydraulic pump with a two groove "driven" pulley on the front, but no pulleys attached to the front of the harmonic balancer, which would be the "drive" pulley. Tucker sized those pulleys to maintain a mathematical relationship of engine RPM vs pump RPM, and I'd think you would want to maintain that relationship. From memory: the driven pulley is 8" in diameter and the drive pulley is 6". That "underdrives" the pump, meaning the pump RPM is less than the engine RPM. Mathematically, 2,500 pump RPM would equal an engine RPM of 3,333.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been reading your posts and thank you for all the detail.

The pulleys were not on for the picture but are the original tucker design and the pulley on the pump specs to what is on the build sheet and is original.

Cat has run fine since 2012 and probably has 400 miles or so of trouble free use in current config. Something went bad last season.

Priority is to steering then to tank. Then two out puts from pump to to bottom of tank. Suction is 1" something.

Build sheet for stock pump says 2800rpm.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a link to the Snowzilla thread post:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=20677733#post20677733

If you order a replacement pump, you'll need to make sure it has a shaft that's compatible with your existing pulley.

On the last page in the first link to Vickers' publications, you'll see a breakdown on the model coding. In other words; what all the letters and numbers mean in the number stamped on the pump. Item 10 is the type of shaft.