• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Surprised the hell outta me...

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
My refrigerated apple seeds (from grocery store apples) are sprouting big time! Soon as the weather cools down, I'll be taking them out and transplanting into egg cartons to start them. They sat in the fridge for a couple months without doing anything, and I was about to give up. I put them back in anyway, and a few weeks later I remembered they were in there and checked them. BOOM! Almost every single one has sprouted.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 93

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you take good care of them, by the time the kid is in second grade you should have fruit. How are the other ones doing?

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
If you take good care of them, by the time the kid is in second grade you should have fruit. How are the other ones doing?

I'll do the best I can. The pear seeds started out going strong, then just died. Not sure what happened, might have gotten just a tad too cold one night. The grape plant has exploded. Need to figure something for it to climb soon. I think I'm going to put a tomato cage around it for now and see how it likes it, since I can't put it in the ground with a trellis.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That grape needs a support stick and some ties. Twist a few bread ties and keep them loose to train it to the stick. We are going to make farm boy out of you yet.:clap:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
That grape needs a support stick and some ties. Twist a few bread ties and keep them loose to train it to the stick. We are going to make farm boy out of you yet.:clap:
Shoooot, already in the plans, son! :w00t2:
Also, Just stepped out on the porch, and another little apple pie popped his head out, too. I know in an egg carton, they really don't have far to go, LOL, but still neat. I hope at least two make it and grow healthy. Looking forward to seeing what kind of apples they will make. I have seeds from a few different varieties, so there should be no problem with pollination if they start to grow in however many years. Plus, I have another egg carton's worth I will do once we eat the rest of the eggs :biggrin:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Not to pee in your Special-K, but if those plants grow to trees they will probably never fruit.

Grocery store produce is grown on spliced trees that can not reproduce any other way than splicing. (Take the root ball of a grown tree and splicing on the trunk of a fruit bearing tree.) This is also to protect the proprietary nature of the fruit.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Not to pee in your Special-K, but if those plants grow to trees they will probably never fruit.

Grocery store produce is grown on spliced trees that can not reproduce any other way than splicing. (Take the root ball of a grown tree and splicing on the trunk of a fruit bearing tree.) This is also to protect the proprietary nature of the fruit.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I figure it's costing me nothing to try it out. And even if I never get fruit, I'll still have a tree or two :)

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
So far so good. 7 out of 12 have peeked out into the world.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 52
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 51

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good on ya man. It's looking good. That's the kind of thing my wife does. Me? I don't have the patience. Keep at it and keep posting. It's a fun thread.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks, Tex. I can afford the patience because I con't plant anything int he ground right now, anyway! So why not see what happens with seeds :D

I ave more to start now that I emptied another egg carton.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The wife has a friggin pecan tree in the big greenhouse. By next year she will have to give it away as it will be too tall. The one Amish lady is going to heat half of her big greenhouse this winter so she can grow things like we do. She could grow another couple of years on it. They won't survive our climate and I doubt they would even make it in southern Pa. We need to give it to the girl in N. Carolina but can't seem to get away from here when it is fit to transplant it.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Mule, check out growing zones and whatnot. You'd be surprised what they say can grow down here, and up your way. I had a seed/tree catalog months ago that outlined it very well, but I can't seem to find it now. Had the form filled out for a few things for us, and some stuff that Mom wanted, but I lost the damn thing before I could send it in. They should send me another one soon as they send them out in the fall (I think that's when I got my last one) to pre-order for spring. Honestly, I can't even remember what company it was at this point. I think it was Gurney's.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, I've used that site before. I think if the tree is strong enough, you should be able to have the pecan tree survive up there.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You dummy! The pecan pickers migrate. The trees stay where they are.:hammer::yum::yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They are up in Canada picking peaches now. Will come back here for apples in a month or so.:w00t2:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
They are up in Canada picking peaches now. Will come back here for apples in a month or so.:w00t2:
haha!

Well, the little plants seem to be getting strong now. Didn't wilt, tilt, or tip in the heavy rain last night. Down to 6 at this point, two didn't take to the pots.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We just had a hell of a storm come through here. Folks camping at the Glen for the race got a mean wake up. Clearing and sunny already and going to stay nice all weekend. I saw a nasty line came across down there last night.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Got pretty nasty around us, but I didn't get much excitement here. Lots of lightning, soem thunder, but the wind didn't get very wild, and for the most part, the rain wasn't crazy either. But we did have a couple times when it poured pretty damn hard.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
The little tiny baby apple trees and the newest batch sitting behind the grape

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 32