• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Never again NASCAR

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Daytona 500 was the last straw. The wreck at the end of the race was caused by another car, all alone, who spun the poor driver Ryan Newman who suffered injuries in the crash.

The driver who spun him should be held accountable, especially if they won the race. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: I have never seen such a crime committed on a race track that was "accepted immediately" as part of "racing"...

What the heck has NASCAR come to?

They can say good bye to me ever watching them race. I so miss the old days of individual cars, and owners. Now days they are hell bent on every one being on the lead lap at the end of the race. Recipe for disaster...

Regards, Kirk

Bamby

I lost interest in racing a long time age when they started requiring a governor (restriction plate) installed to slow everyone down. After all it's the drivers job to drive and control the car as fast as conditions allow, despite it may still have untapped potential available. Who are they to determine how many ponies they're going to take away.

Bannedjoe

I'm just surprised they don't give out participation trophies.

But hey, ya gotta keep things fair!

I mean what if one driver was really good, had a better car, stronger faster engine, a top notch crew of mechanics and a killer pit crew?
That might give him an advantage over all the others who don't, and that just wouldn't be fair.
LiHKwmY.gif

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember the Nationwide race where Larson took a bad hit about 6 years ago, then parts of the car flew into the crowd.
Then when you consider Dale Earnhardt's crash, who would have thought that would have taken his life?
Racing has always been competitive of course.

What I don't like is when 2 are feuding and one purposely bumps another going 180mph.
That lacks civility and sportsmanship.
Nope, I'm not into racing like I used to be.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a long time nascar fan from the early 80s but will admit that the past few years I haven't been watching as much as before. I remember back before pvr we always recorded the race then my bro dad and I would often exchange the VHS tape to watch it. Not so much these days. With all the rule changes it isn't what it used to be.

Now throw a dirt race on and I'm there.

Bannedjoe

When I was a teen, one of my most favorite things was going to the stock car races on a Saturday night.
And you just couldn't beat the fun watching the figure eight.

I can still smell those races.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I remember when FireBall Roberts crashed and burned in '64.

He hung on a few days in the hospital a few days before dying

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From the beginning of NASCAR the drivers have always been aggressive towards each other, especially at the end of the race.

How about the 1979 Daytona race? Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison banged the crap out of each other until they both ended up crashing.

There's many, many examples over the years of this happening.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I am nowhere as big a fan of NASCAR since they allowed Toyota to race. The only race I look forward to watching and make a point to see is the Daytona 500. To see Newman get screwed out of winning and then a jap Toyota wins it left a real bad taste for me as well.

Watch the movie Ford versus Ferrari if you have some nostalgia about the good old days of racing.

For me, NASCAR will always be about Petty, the Yarbouroughs, the Allisons, Buddy Baker and the winged Super Birds and Ford Torinos. Those were the days for me. Not now.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Being British, NASCAR has always been a mystery to me. Don't give me a hard time. I've tried to like it. I had a friend in Dallas who turned a room in his house into a NASCAR man cave. I used to go over to watch races with the "boys" but, to be honest, I was just there to drink beer. He made some killer home brew.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Being British, NASCAR has always been a mystery to me. Don't give me a hard time. I've tried to like it. I had a friend in Dallas who turned a room in his house into a NASCAR man cave. I used to go over to watch races with the "boys" but, to be honest, I was just there to drink beer. He made some killer home brew.

I get that, but you limeys produced some great drivers in Jackie Stewart, Stirling Moss, Ken Miles and Nigel Mansell.

BTW, Miles ran one race in NASCAR, flipping his 1963 Ford Galaxie at Riverside.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I get that, but you limeys produced some great drivers in Jackie Stewart, Stirling Moss, Ken Miles and Nigel Mansell.

BTW, Miles ran one race in NASCAR, flipping his 1963 Ford Galaxie at Riverside.

First off, I'm Scottish. Please don't call me a Limey. That's like calling you a Democrat. It's not a good way to make friends. :)

Jackie Stewart was Scottish but you forgot about Jim Clark.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
First off, I'm Scottish. Please don't call me a Limey. That's like calling you a Democrat. It's not a good way to make friends. :)

Jackie Stewart was Scottish but you forgot about Jim Clark.

Wow, if being called a limey is paramount to being called a Democrat, you may rest assured I will never say that again. I wouldn't slam a shit house door that hard. :unsure::smile:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Funny, Funny, Funny. :clap::clap::clap:

I'm just glad we're good, sir. I have 25% Scottish in me from my Dad's side and I sure as hell have no desire to insult highlander heritage.

As for Jim Clark, yes, yes forgot about him, an F1 driver as I recall from when I was younger. I was an avid motorsports fan growing up and familiar with all the names.

Once met Roger Penske on a large gas turbine generation project I was on back in the late 70's . His company manufactured the generators we were connecting. Quite impressive. He was surprised I remembered how he and some other drivers got screwed out of racing in NASCAR due to a pissing contest between NASCAR and USAC. We talked for quite a while. Great guy. I asked him how the NASCAR cars handled on a road course. He laughed and said they were like driving a farm tractor with a lot more horsepower. Never forgot that.