• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2021 Snow Cat Clowder ( FEBRUARY 6, 2021 )

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 2021 Vintage Snow Cat Clowder is a go.

When: The first Saturday in February is 2/6/2021,
Where: Bessemer MI.
Host: Big Powderhorn Mountain Resort, N11375 Powderhorn Road, Bessemer, Michigan 49911
Why: Snow cats! Over the snow play.

The Midwest Vintage Snow Cat Clowder is an event Held in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The event is centrally located Just off the shores of Lake Superior. The event is attractive due the number of vintage Snow Grooming machines in the area. Track Inc reports in excess of 500 current working tuckers between Sault Ste. Marie and Duluth. Imagine 50 years’ worth of individual snowmobile club grooming programs and how many other brands of over the snow equipment is deployed to maintain snowmobile trails. Wisconsin (birth place of the modern snow mobile) is host to 22,000 miles of snow mobile trails with in excess of 200,000 snow mobiles registered annually. Over the snow transportation is not a one-off hobby, it is the very fabric of midwestern life.
The Midwest event is centrally located attracting enthusiast from the east and west respectively. We technically don't have a golden spike to celebrate the meeting of the East and West coast over the snow enthusiast, but I bet I could find a COPPER one.

So Yes, the invite To attend the Vintage snow cat Clowder is a standing invitation, happening on the first Saturday in February.

The event rules are minimal.
( well technically that is a false statement, we only have one rule in the By-laws as set forth by our host.

Rule one: there are no rules. should you decide to create rules, you will be tolerated as opposed to welcomed here ).

As details come in they will reside here in this thread, as well as a community supported Face Book Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1832505470380520/

NO Big enhancements are in the works this year, Due the Kooty Craze.
This year’s event will be a respectful socially respectable event. When we are at the host facility we will respect the State mandates as well as the common sense. If you are super concerned about your well-being the YOOP might not be the place for you. Anticipate hand shaking, back slapping and life to happen, with shared meals and Random Get togethers happening spontaneously throughout the event.

so, to recap for Newer members or those not wanting to over think the Get together.

The clowder is technically a one-day event that takes four days to fit it in.

Day one
is a Forest trail ride organized by the folks based on who is in town and what they want to experience (ranges from wild to mild) The Black river Pub is a popular gathering spot after a fun day of touring and over the snow catting or skiing.

Day two
Typically Friday is the main snow catting day. We depart from the only Ski FLYING hill outside of Europe (Copper Peak https://copperpeak.net/ ) The Friday trail day is a little more organized family experience based around a mid-day Campfire lunch stop, families and smiles dictate the navigation and duration of the day and to some extent the destination. Time for Mountain biking, skiing and snowshoeing at the turnaround overlooking the Lake Superior shore line is encouraged...... (past participants please expand) a Friday fish fry and Old Fashioned on the docket for dinner. The Caribou lodge with live entertainment at the gun barrel lodge and Local VFW in Bessemer are popular destinations.

Day three
Day three is geared towards our host. 8-12 am the cats are on public display and most folks are enjoying the amenities of big powder horns complex. (some have been known to repair broken equipment )
Sau-na (rhymes with cow-na)
pool,
cross country ski,
downhill ski and boarding
Off site options
Local microbrew tours
shopping trips
Lake superior ICE CAVES (weather permitting )
Ice Climbing frozen water-falls
industry tours of various manufacturing venues arranged if requested

At 1pm (in the Midwest it's known as after-Lunch) there are snow cat games scheduled and crowds form quick. Great opportunity to share the machines with folks that have never considered snow cats as a Hobby (perhaps better stated snow cats as a: Habit.)

So as the games settle down and the winners beam with pride [usually around 4 (Dusk)] there is a driver meeting and the snow cats are prepared for a sunset cruise of the facility. The cats are warmed up and driven up out of the powder horn village to the ski lodge where crowds of people can see them up close and personal. If you have an empty seat consider offering a ride for the sunset cruise. Many great photo opportunities are provided on the way to the top of the Big powder horn Mountain. After the sun sinks into Lake Superior the clowder (Group of Cats) Heads to the lodge for a short dinner program and networking event.
this dinner program is a great time. putting a face to a username and building community is very enjoyable, many find it almost as much fun as the snow cats. Of course, there is associated teasing and awards and gift sharing. (the Cit-iot award has become popular)
Ironically the City Idiot went to a Farmer last year but Nelson-cat came expand on that himself.

Swag:
there is various swag offered for sale, T shirts sweat shirt and even hats have been created and shared Priced to break-even on the expense of creating them....

It is a great event with something for everybody

lift tickets, ski and or board rentals are at an steeply discounted rate The host ( Coot Bruce ) is very generous I highly recommend getting a lift pass for the whole family.
Lodging packages are a tremendous value, and you are able snow cat to and from 90% of them.

Heated shops available for repair
Plug ins about everywhere for those pampered diesels from temperate climes.......

so that is enough for now stay tuned for details and make plans to attend.

any questions PM me for my phone number and Call me.
Search snow cat Clowder 2015,2016,2017,2018,2019 as review the content on social media and here in the forums......

This year is Going to happen, Covid doesn’t know what to do with snow catters and their ability to find fun in cold winter weather. This group naturally face covers and refrains from coughing.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim took care of it.

I was not aware you lost a camera.

I was just overwhelmed with joy over the tucker fairy leaving rollers about the event.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I am in, it is the great granddaddy on snow flake crushing, wonderful wonderful wonderful folks

thank you R Squirrel and mrs R Squirrel for all your time and effort to make this happen!!!

and yes, coot bruce is a really good guy, he goes out of his way to have everyone feel very appreciated for coming and makes things happen big time.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome News!

Just an FYI the Longest tow award has a serious contender this year... You might need to drive around in circles on your way to rack up a couple extra miles to win the big money!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One way or another I will be there. :thumbup:

Not going to miss this event, ever.... :clap::smilelove:

Regards, Kirk

nelsoncat

I will definitely be there too! And I promise not to try to park in the snow cat playground but it seriously did look like a plowed parking lot in the dark!

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
I’ll be there!!! Although I did say that last year...[emoji1781] but the snowcat will be done this time!!!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
four replies and four different states represented....... centrally located in the best snow dump zone any where. shaping up to be a great season ( fall is running early this year )

alryA

I hope to attended and at this point, I'll put it at a 90% chance of happening. :thumbup: What about Mike from Lima??? Photos from last year... That's the BIG lake behind the Big Boss in the bottom photo.

Attachments

• old cats copper peak.jpg
    old cats copper peak.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20200131_143159957.jpg
    IMG_20200131_143159957.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20200131_151809495.jpg
    IMG_20200131_151809495.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 315

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope to put a lodging message together soon.

the lodging association does a wonderful job of providing very reasonable housing.

I was able to secure lodging for a family of 6 adults and One dog for $1249
4 nights works out to $52 per person per night.

advantages of staying in the village:
snow cat snow mobile to and from
reduce travelling in various states of euphoria ( due to snow cat over load).
ski in ski out
firewood
sauna
hot tub
large parking driveway.
outside deck grill fire pit
Dog

If anyone needs help navigating PM me for pointers.

there are standard franchise hotels near by.

funtracks

Can't wait to attend another Clowder! Such a great event with a wonderful host (Always a huge thank you to Big Powderhorn!) I did see in a previous thread that some Tucker parts were deposited on the ski hill during the evening ride, I may be guilty of losing one roller last year but had the issue resolved shortly after getting back home. Redsqwl is a great motivator, are you the official event planner? I'm planning to bring something to contribute to the drawing/raffle at the Saturday dinner, was thinking about a classic pair of new Red Wing boots (representing our home town!).

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, Minnesota is bringing it big this year. Angus Beef and Red Wing Boots to date.

This event plans itself. it is the East Meets West cultural melding pot of over the snow shenanigans.

as of this typing, it appears that lodging options are as varied as they have ever been. seems Covid has created a lot of interest in out door recreation. I will defer to the lodging association referenced in message 13. if you are on the fence and need options the reports are positive for local Air Bed and Breakfast ABNB and association supported dwellings.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The covid frenzy continues...... SO DOES The Clowder. been getting a couple of inquiries about the event. Just bumping the thread and letting the interwebs know the event will be held regardless.

Looking forward to a great snow catting season.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
the clowder is a great event and if you have not gone, wow,

you need to go, it is where east meets west, sir squirrel is really good at hosting this wonderful event, I have gone 3 times, and it always seems to be a new adventure everytime

IMG_1815.jpg

Last edited:
Driving from Portland, thinking I'm leaving in the next week or so, making a stop in AZ, then maybe CO, pick up Dave in MN and SHRED the fatties (bikes) in varying states of euphoria. Looking forward to my 3rd year of spectating!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will have to get the fat bike racks mounted for the gravity runs. Have dave set up an event... if we get enough fatties maybe we can keep a chair lift running... i mean really who likes to run up the ski hill in a snow cat. thats no fun!

Not to pee in your snow, but I kinda doubt they'd keep a chair open. They'd need 3 people to run it, one at the bottom, one at top, and one to unload bikes. And their chairs aren't setup for bikes AFAIK. Then the insurance question comes to mind of letting people bike down without the hill's lights on and no ski patrol. Man, I sure got up on the wrong side of bed today. WTF

Gannon

I am planning on coming from se pa with my 1542. My 442a won’t be ready so only one will be in tow.
When does the get together actually end?
Is the lodging listed on the big powderhorn website my best choice? Can I drive my cat right up to the places there? Also is there anything I should equip mine with to be better prepared.

thanks

Patroller

@Gannon, There is usually a trail ride on Thur, Feb 4th, another on Friday the 5th and a tour of the Mountain on Sat evening. Sunday and Monday are pack-up and leave.
There is lodging available from this site: https://bookings-bigpowderhornmountainresort.escapia.com/DesktopDefault.aspx
Hugel Haus is popular for the Clowder because it's right next to the parking lots.
There is also lodging available here: https://bookings-bpla.escapia.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

If you are curious about the location of a particular unit let me know and I will spot it on the map for you:

I am planning on coming from se pa with my 1542. My 442a won’t be ready so only one will be in tow.
When does the get together actually end?
Is the lodging listed on the big powderhorn website my best choice? Can I drive my cat right up to the places there? Also is there anything I should equip mine with to be better prepared.

thanks
Hi Gannon, there's still quite a bit to be had on AirBnB too, and cheaper if you're looking for saving your beer/parts money

Patroller

For the dates Feb 4th to the 7th. This is the VRBO site:

Gannon

I booked a room in the hugelhaus. Thanks guys. I’m planning on getting in Wednesday evening. It’s about 16 hrs one way

Patroller

If you are having difficulty finding rooms close to the Clowder, the Black River Lodge is not far away. They are located near the National Forest and have about 65 wooded acres with some trails. They have a wide variety to offer. Rooms to full condos.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Steve is that the hotel we pass on the way to copper peak?

Ill try to cross post that face book list of franchise lodging in Ironwood and Bessemer

Patroller

Steve is that the hotel we pass on the way to copper peak?
Ill try to cross post that face book list of franchise lodging in Ironwood and Bessemer
Yes. It's a couple of miles North of Powderhorn on Black River Road. So very easy access to Powderhorn. All rural. No traffic or stop lights.