• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rec 90 non ethanol fuel mistakenly put in diesel gas cans

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I need to do something with this fuel.
There was a bit of diesel still in the 5 gallon cans but not much ...less than 12 oz ....just residual that did not dump out.

Would it hurt to dump this stuff in my truck? I do not want to even try it in my new 350hp Suzuki outboard ...I will run the 90 rec in it but not this that was slightly tainted with diesel. Am I being stew-pid?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I need to do something with this fuel.
There was a bit of diesel still in the 5 gallon cans but not much ...less than 12 oz ....just residual that did not dump out.

Would it hurt to dump this stuff in my truck? I do not want to even try it in my new 350hp Suzuki outboard ...I will run the 90 rec in it but not this that was slightly tainted with diesel. Am I being stew-pid?

No. You are being careful
Most any older carbureted engine will run that stuff. Diesel blends with gasoline. They often put it in diesel to winterize it. An older tractor or lawnmower.

It might smoke a little but actually the valves will love the stuff.

I would not recommend it in the Lexus.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Franc.
Even my old 2005 Silverado is fuel injected. Nothing I have is carbureted dang it. Would it be okay in the 05 Truck?

Maybe add some Sea Foam along with the fuel.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
my dad used to put a little diesel in the cars a few times a year. like Franc said old stuff, lower compression carbs etc. 1949 Ford woodie and 1952 Olds 88. we got a mary Kay pink 1958 Olds. i don't remember any diesel put in it.

Sea Foam is great stuff. put a can in every oil change. use it in the mower too.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Assuming your '05 is a gas engine. 12 oz in 5 gal is 1.9%. If you run that pickup down to a 1/4 tank it will be negligible.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Franc.
Even my old 2005 Silverado is fuel injected. Nothing I have is carbureted dang it. Would it be okay in the 05 Truck?

The problem lies with the injection system as well as the fuel sensor in the EMS. The diesel has a higher viscosity. However it like is thinned out enough not to matter.
Yes use some Sea Foam. Never hurts.

The older the engine the more likely it will not mind the diesel at all.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, save yourself a lot of internet "I told you so" and just dump the stuff somewhere. Set it on fire ... be careful. Jeez, we're talking a few freekin' dollars in fuel against thousands in a new engine. Get rid of it. Kiss it off. Let it be gone.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, save yourself a lot of internet "I told you so" and just dump the stuff somewhere. Set it on fire ... be careful. Jeez, we're talking a few freekin' dollars in fuel against thousands in a new engine. Get rid of it. Kiss it off. Let it be gone.

I think setting it on fire was the issue in the first place.:shitHitFan:

No the stuff is already well diluted. Putting it in a tank full of gasoline will dilute it further. Instead of 10 parts per 100 it would be 10 partsper1,000.
The old Chevy pickup ain't worth a worry anyhow. It will likely be fine if put there.

Last spring I had a few gallons of very old gas with some oil and water in it. I just set the bucket outside in the parking lot and let it evaporate. Thankfully, no fool tossed a cigarette butt in it. What was left was some flammable sludge which burned off easily in a campfire. However, this is five gallons. Assuming it is clean, better to run it through an engine. Diluted enough, it should be fine.

Last edited:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Diluted enough, it should be fine.

you don’t have to put all of it in at one time. when you’re at 3/4 tank or so dump a gallon in. take a while but you’ll never know its in there

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. We are talking 3 five gallon cans of fuel. I hate the make the trip and fill just one ....so I fill three of diesel when I go ...and usually six of gasoline. LOL

There was a little residual fuel in two of the cans ...I'm guessing 12oz's or less combined. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to what was in the cans since I thought I was simply topping off the diesel. Duh.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Franc.

If it were me I would use it a little at a time, say a half can/fill up or less.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, the way gasoline is made today, I would be more worried about what to do with 5 or 15 gallons of 2 year old gas than what you have there.
Jim is right, pour a little at a time through your vehicle. And quit worrying.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, the way gasoline is made today, I would be more worried about what to do with 5 or 15 gallons of 2 year old gas than what you have there.
Jim is right, pour a little at a time through your vehicle. And quit worrying.

My thoughts too. Just use 1/2 can each time you fill the tank of the truck. It will be so diluted as to be a non-issue.