• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Moving a foreign exchange student into our house???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So we don't know what will happen.

But we tossed out an offer to Dasha and her mother to have Dasha move into our home with us and live here for at least the remainder of this school year and into the summer. If she chooses to stay in this area, then to stay with us for next school year too.

She clearly loves us and we clearly love her. But we do live in an isolated area and it's not going to be an easy choice. Even though she is not thrilled with her living situation now, it's still not an easy choice to make. So we shall see what happens over the next couple of days.

Today Dasha is taking her SAT college entrance exam. Hoping for a good score. It takes weeks or more to find out. In the practice exam she took she got a 780 out of 800 on the math portion. A 580 out of 800 on the written/English portion. 1360 total. That is a very very good score, well above average but there is still room to improve. NCAA Division 1 athletes need a 1270 minimum for scholarships so her preliminary score is above that level :thumbup:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a follow up.

Dasha is moving away to Boston. That is best for her. She has been accepted into a couple of high schools in that area.

There is a coach there who I trust to take care of her; that is important for me to know. I'm not sure I could send her away if I didn't trust the coach at the destination. Not only is he a good guy, he is a high level coach and has a very good club that travels to high level competitions.

He is arranging for a family to take her into their home. The school she will attend, the fencing club, and the family will all be in close enough proximity that she will be able to fence 5 days per week plus travel to tournaments on weekends with the coach's club team. It is what she really needs.

I'll cry when I take her to the airport to send her off. She will cry too. But her skills have dropped and her dreams are fading because we cannot get her a high enough level of fencing where we live.

We will still have her nearby for 3 months and will spend quite a bit of time with her during that time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought I'd give you all an update on this.

Dasha is in Boston (area) getting good coaching and attending a good high school for her senior year. She seems happy.

Notre Dame is recruiting her to come to school there and be on their fencing team. As good as she is, she will be a low level fencer on that team. They have many of our nation's best fencers on their team.

Notre Dame is paying for her to fly to Chicago, where we will pick her up, bring her home for a night, then take her to N.D. for an "official" campus recruitment visit under the guidelines of the NCAA Div 1 rules. We will then go back to get her on Saturday of whatever week is set, attend a N.D. football game (using tickets given to us by N.D.) and then bring her back home for another night. Put her on an airplane back to Boston the next day.

Exact dates are being worked out. But it's likely to be a Thursday to Sunday trip.

Also, the Director of Fencing Operations for Ohio State inquired about her and I'm working with him to get her bout videos, etc. He is interested in recruiting her too. It would be a 'back up' school choice for her. But it's a good school and if they give her a scholarship it would be a bonus.

Stanford is also interested. Northwestern is apparently NOT interested based on some contacts I have. Not sure about some of the New York and Boston area universities, but I know she has talked to a few of those. I'm just not involved in the East Coast schools with her.