• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Laptop

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I have come over to the dark side. LOL. I purchased a new laptop for my wife. She was quite adamant that we were not going to spend the big bucks for one of those MacBook Air laptops with the specs we wanted.

So, Windows 10 it is!! I have to say so far we love it. The 256 SSD drive is remarkably fast. I wish I had put one in my iMac when I replaced the HDD last year. Oh well.

She wanted at least a Core i5, 8 GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD drive and a dedicated GeForce GPU and a lighted keyboard. Lofty specs for a budget laptop. Here is what I found. The reviews seemed very favorable.

So far she runs great. We still like Windows and Win10 seems very nice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DT4A2R4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NICE. That should serve you well for a long time. I like the 500 price point for laptops. I've paid more but to often they have not lasted nor performed any better than one for $500 or less. Did you get that on Prime members day at Amazon? They had a lot of items marked down. I bought a
Safemore Smart 8-Outlet with 4-USB Output Surge Protection Power Strip (Green and White) ...had to get Green and white cause they were out of black and white. No biggie. I like how it is vertical instead of horizontal, dust does not accumulate on the outlets. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YTO0W0Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
NICE. That should serve you well for a long time. I like the 500 price point for laptops. I've paid more but to often they have not lasted nor performed any better than one for $500 or less. Did you get that on Prime members day at Amazon? They had a lot of items marked down. I bought a
Safemore Smart 8-Outlet with 4-USB Output Surge Protection Power Strip (Green and White) ...had to get Green and white cause they were out of black and white. No biggie. I like how it is vertical instead of horizontal, dust does not accumulate on the outlets. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YTO0W0Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, got it on Amazon Prime for the price listed inc shipping. Came in two days just like they said in one piece.

I would love to try out that graphics card but do not own any games that will play on it . LOL.

Maybe I should install World of Warships on it but I don't think wifey would appreciate that. LOL.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
With all the google ads on the internet, you practically must have an upgraded video card. With W10, you absolutely need at least an I5 processor and 8GB of RAM. Good computer you found there. The only thing missing is the touch screen, although the lighted keyboard is a major plus. I LOVE mine.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations!!!!

You started me salivating again. I don't really know why I need a laptop but, dammit, I want one!!!!! $500 seems like a good price point for what I need to do with it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
With all the google ads on the internet, you practically must have an upgraded video card. With W10, you absolutely need at least an I5 processor and 8GB of RAM. Good computer you found there. The only thing missing is the touch screen, although the lighted keyboard is a major plus. I LOVE mine.

Yes, a touchscreen would have been nice, but with those components and price point, impossible to find I'm sorry to say. Notice there is a $150 upgrade to i7. Thought about that for a while, too.

Congratulations!!!!

You started me salivating again. I don't really know why I need a laptop but, dammit, I want one!!!!! $500 seems like a good price point for what I need to do with it.

Thanx. Read the reviews on Amazon about it. I was amazed by the number of positive posts. Usually, it is only the people who want to bitch about what they bought bother to post, but not in this case. Anyway, time will tell. The cool thing is this laptop is upgradable to 32GB of ram and a spare slot internally for another SSD. All acessable from the bottom removing three screws and a door. That was the final thing that sold me. Easily upgradable without taking the whole laptop apart and breaking those little plastic tabs.