• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I need a replacement cell phone for wife

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Two questions / things I need help with.

My wife has an iphone 5s. It was persnickety to plug in for charging but it worked. Had been this way for quite a while. Now no matter what we cannot get it to take a charge. No battery indicator or vibration when the plug is put in. Guessing the port is bad but I suppose it could be the battery. Any clue on a place that might repair iphones with this type of issue?

Other option is to replace the phone. She likes the size of the iphone 6 like I have but we do not want to pay $600 for a new phone. There are so many droid phones out there that appear to be cheaper, and hopefully do all that she or I would need to do on the phone (I might end up trading her for the new one if she prefers the iphone). I have been wanting to try droid for the music options, I prefer that to iTunes crapola.

The iPhone 6 is about 5 1/2 by 2 1/2, so we are looking for something in that size range. Both of us a are lightweight users in that we do not use a lot of data. She plays a few games, goes to zulilly, texts and uses the phone once in awhile. So most phones could fit that bill if the size is right.
Any recommendations? Please post a link if possible.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc In the past my son and one of my co-workers have used buckeye cell.com for their iPhone repairs. Charging dock replacement is $59 ready in one hour. They are on Bethel Rd.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll give you a 5s (AT&T) .......................
Awesome. That is what she had that is no longer working (AT&T 5s).
I was just checking the link Jerry posted to have that one repaired..... I'll give ya something for it. PM me

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
doc if you do look at a droid platform stay away from the Samsung s-6 the battery is way too small for the processor I here the s7 battery is almost double the size wished I had waited for that one.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You can also get good deals on refurbished phones. I got the kids refurbished 5s's and they were as good as new (until they dropped them). Lots of places to reasonable repairs too.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
doc if you do look at a droid platform stay away from the Samsung s-6 the battery is way too small for the processor I here the s7 battery is almost double the size wished I had waited for that one.

Yep, almost sold mine on ebay for that very reason. Beautiful phone, gorgeous screen but miserable battery life. Turns out it is the only Android phone to interface with my new hearing aids, so I decided to keep it for that reason.

A few weeks ago I got the 6.0.1 update which has improved the battery life but I am sure not as good as the S7.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys!!!!
Dawg s fixing me up with a iPhone 5s, which will keep momma happy. Yippeee. :D THANKS Dawg!!!! :tiphat:

I still want to try a droid someday. I'll get there eventually. I read of some month to month services that are rather cheap. I think I'll try it that way. :D

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for the wild goose chase Doc. I didn't know they were no longer in business.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks guys!!!!
Dawg s fixing me up with a iPhone 5s, which will keep momma happy. Yippeee. :D THANKS Dawg!!!! :tiphat:

I still want to try a droid someday. I'll get there eventually. I read of some month to month services that are rather cheap. I think I'll try it that way. :D

I have AT&T Go, which is their prepaid service. $42.00 a month for unlimited talk and text and 2GB of high speed data with roll over of unused data to the next month. If you use all that up, data then gets throttled back to a slower speed for the remainder of the month. Very satisfied with the service so far.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I still have my s5 and overall I'm happy with it. Sure I've had the itch to upgrade but not when this has been the best phone I've had.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had good luck with used phones from Glyde. Worth a look next time you need one.

Jim

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are many great phones available and my primary consideration has come to be battery life. My favorite phone so far is a Motorola Droid Maxx, now about three years old. I bought a Motorola Nexus 6 (because an update beyond Android 4.4.4 isn't available for the Maxx) and put it on a monthly plan with Verizon through the simm cards from Walmart. The Nexus is a really nice phone with the latest operating system but I still prefer the Maxx for its interface and battery life. Since you're no longer need one for your wife you have more time to research for a phone for you! Good luck.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for the wild goose chase Doc. I didn't know they were no longer in business.
LOL I didn't either Jerry. I brought up there web page and was planning to ship it to them. Thanks for the update. :thumb:

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, you may have tried this already?
Go to Google Maps and to your city or area, and enter a search for "cellphone repair" or something similar. It'll bring up a surprising number of businesses and indicate their location or website.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Glenn. Good idea. :thumb:

And a BIG Thanks to Big Dog. :tiphat: :thankyou2: The Iphone 5s arrvied last night. I've replaced the SIM card, reset the phone, and I'm updating the OS now. Should be up and running shortly.