• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Robots

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, our robots are in and have been accepted by us. It was a project we started in house, but our employee, the Plant Engineer got in over his head, so we needed outside help. I wish I had a video to show y'all, but we were so busy dialing it all in, I don't have one yet. But compared to 6 people packaging and 2 people placing labels, this is so freakin awesome.

So here's some pix of the install. Disregard the first 4 or so pix of the metal detector conveyors - those were posted for a vendor for viewing some issues.

The 6 axis places the labels in the pockets formed by the Multivac and the delta picker places the summer sausages in the pockets.

The label robot has already saved us a ton since the labels are perfectly placed every time.

The delta eliminates 7 people each shift. We run non stop 3 shifts from about April through November.

This is a great investment!

We did not terminate any of our employees, we simply will not hire 18 temps next year. The difference is we'll assign one of our people as the line monitor, just watching the bots and keeping the labels supplied.

Hopefully, in 13-14, we'll get case packing bots in!

I'll post videos when we run it again. Probably in Feb when we have all the improvements in place.

http://s4.beta.photobucket.com/user/waybomb/library/Robots

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Is the cage an OSHA thing? We were welding with robots 20 years ago and all that was required was a railing around the whole area. The positioner was more dangerous than the weld robot as it had stall settings for the servos. The positioner only required a signal from the park position of the robot and it was strong enough to turn 10 tons.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It may be an OSHA thing, or not. We decided that this thing is moving so fast, that we were not going to let anybody at it.

We also have a sefty scheme where there are two keys. The keys must be in the MMI. If removed from the MMI, the power is killed (we still require LOTO). The key is then used to open a cage door. Then you can close the door, remove the key, reinstall into MMI, and the cell will work again.

We tried to make it as safe as possible. And being in a ready-to-eat area, had to be all stainless.

Two years - DART rate of zero.
And 738 days so far with no lost time, and we didn't do that like some companies with cooking the books and making people come back to work hurt.
Total incurred cost for two years is less than 25k.
We have about 120 FT employees, and up to another 120 temps for 7 months at a time.

We're pretty proud of our safety record.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a good record. I used to flip out on guys who cheated safety switches especially on enclosed machining centers. It only takes one button push to crush somebody if the interlocks are defeated. 1st offense was a warning. 2nd was 3 days in the street. Never had any go for 3rds.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Pretty cool Fred - I think you need to send me some product samples so I can do some quality control testing for you! ;)

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hummm..

Let's see, doing more with less people. Sounds like farming to me!:wink:

Lol, it's the same equation, what ever we do. :whistling:

This kind of technology I have no issue with at all. Makes great sence, glad it's working for you Fred.:tiphat:

Regards, Kirk

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had a girl get pinched by an S4 ABB robot
there were 3 safety's that were disregarded

2q570iggnkkxqi3b_480_640.jpg

She went in to adjust the pick up station and shut the gate behind her, and she wasn't standing on the safety mat and she didnt press an estop and some one else started it??? Luckily she just got bused but it could have been worse.

We now have Kirk keys like Waybom does we are to take it out of lock and keep it with you while in the cage replace in lock to run.

We (maintenance) can go in with the teach pendant to do maintenance it has a deadman switch if you release it it stops.