• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fireflies

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
My property is surrounded by literally a thousand acres of corn. Tonight was the fist night the fireflies were really active. It is quite a sight to see hundreds, probably even thousands of fireflies flashing across the corn fields. I have tried many times to get a picture, but to no success. They should be really active for about a week.

Cityboy

Banned
I used to see thousands of them each year when I was a kid. Now, I hardly ever see them in the quantities I used to. Wonder what happened to them? Victims of global warming perhaps?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My property is surrounded by literally a thousand acres of corn. Tonight was the fist night the fireflies were really active. It is quite a sight to see hundreds, probably even thousands of fireflies flashing across the corn fields. I have tried many times to get a picture, but to no success. They should be really active for about a week.

Put your camera on a tripod or some other stead rest. Turn the flash off. Aim it at the darkest part of the sky (probably the western sky) and set your shutter speed for at least 2 full seconds. Try it again at progressively longer settings up to about 8 seconds.

For each successive increase in shutter length time, you should see more firefly "flashes" but the sky and background will also become lighter making the "flashes" less visible. So if you try it, snap several pictures of varying time lengths and you may get a couple good ones that show a dark enough background to effectively see the firefly "flashes" you are trying to capture.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They started here in small quantities at the end of May (which is very early for this area).
They're getting more active and normally peak in this area during the first week of July.
CB - I haven't noticed any change in numbers.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is it the right time of year for you?

We don't peak for another 2 weeks here.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Is it the right time of year for you?

We don't peak for another 2 weeks here.

July is usually our best month. We were watching a television show in which kids were catching fireflies; this prompted her to make the comment.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
July is usually our best month. We were watching a television show in which kids were catching fireflies; this prompted her to make the comment.
Sounds like they should have waited a couple weeks before putting that TV show on... :smileywac

elsmitro

floppy member
Mine have been at it for a couple of weeks and should go for at least a couple more. They just fill the trees out back and it's way cooler than any fireworks show!

Attachments

• give_a_fuck.jpg
    give_a_fuck.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 44

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
They're baaaack! What a sight! I love it every year when the fields are full of horny flashing bugs. :w00t:

Cityboy

Banned
They're baaaack! What a sight! I love it every year when the fields are full of horny flashing bugs. :w00t:

Yup, they are here in Oklahoma too! Thousands of them all around the house, in the yard and in the woods.

I do wonder what happened to them back in Georgia though. I wonder if all the mosquito spraying killed them?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to see thousands of them each year when I was a kid. Now, I hardly ever see them in the quantities I used to. Wonder what happened to them? Victims of global warming perhaps?

No .... Sevin. :biggrin:

Sat outside tonight and watched them, beer in one hand, cigar in the other. Life can be good at times. :lucky::lucky::lucky: