• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Migrain head aches

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the wife has had them all of her life. It has been a slippery slope to, I won't bother with all the details, but it has taken a toll on our lives, and our daughters as well. We've spent countless amounts of money and time, chasing a remedy for her. Several states we been to, only to be disapointed in the results. More drugs and money, no results..

Finally after 40 years we have what appears to not just be a patch of drugs that only address the result of migrain, not the prevention. I know of two other people who had migrains who are sensitive to Gluten. I don't know them personally, just the father of one and the husban of another. Both are women btw. After learning this, the wife and I decided to try her on this diet. Halaluya!! this seems to be the problem, and her medication use has fallen dramatically. She loves bread, and it's hard not to want it for her, but she realises we are really on to something here. No doctor told us to do this by the way. Not one. Hint, hint.....

I tell you this story cause there are probably others out in the world today suffering like my wife has. I hope some of them read this. It was really worth the effort, for our family. Just wish it had been discovered years ago....

Best regards, Kirk

Pretty Flamingo

I am pleased it is sorted out for you, but a shame that it has taken so long to get a grip of what was causing it. Thankfully I have never suffered but people do say it is hell. Food is so important and when they say we are what we eat, it is so true. There are gluten-free breads on sale should she want them, but she will need to read labels for other foods that may have gluten in.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm glad to hear you've found a cause !

More and more ills are being traced to wheat gluten. I read in the book "Wheat Belly" that when testing was done on GMO wheat, they did not test for any changes to the protein component of wheat and gluten has lots of protein.

I feel much better after 4 years of low carb. I only just started having an occasional slice of toast. Love toast !!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm so glad that she has found something that appears to be helping. Those headaches are debilitating.

A friend of ours, a migraine sufferer for years, tried the gluten free diet on her own initiative. Five years later she's still migraine free. She said that it took about 3 months for them to disappear entirely but they became less frequent almost from the day she stopped eating gluten.

I hope this gives your wife some encouragement and hope.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Glad to hear that Kirk. I suffered from them for years. That suddenly went away when I was 61 and have not returned in almost 3 years. Doc says who knows? I sure as hell don't.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
well, that's good. props fer taking the initiatve to reashearch by urself. while physicians can diagnose so many ails, they cannot diagnose things 100% of the time.

as a Chef, plz hear me on this: there is gluten in many foods u might not think there would be. as for the bread that was mentioned, they have 'em in the freezer section at a few places & by the bakery section at others here, as well as in the specialty shoppes, here. most're made w/ various non-wheat grains.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
That is great news . My wife also suffers terribly from them . She has tried everything . The Chiropractor said she had a whip lash in the past . Who knows . I feel so bad to see her hurting and not being able to do a damn thing to stop it . She usually starts throwing up and that releases the pain a bit and then she is wiped out for a day or two . I'll tell her about this !! Thank you !

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is great news . My wife also suffers terribly from them . She has tried everything . The Chiropractor said she had a whip lash in the past . Who knows . I feel so bad to see her hurting and not being able to do a damn thing to stop it . She usually starts throwing up and that releases the pain a bit and then she is wiped out for a day or two . I'll tell her about this !! Thank you !

This is exactly the same story as my wifes. She was struck from behind by and air born 4 wheeler at a race event. That was 25 years ago, and she had them well before. Since around puberty or 9-12 years old is when she was first effected. Try the Gluten free thing. It LOTS cheaper than persciption drugs, OWI's and wrecked cars are too...:ermm:

Regards, Kirk

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear that Kirk. I suffered from them for years. That suddenly went away when I was 61 and have not returned in almost 3 years. Doc says who knows? I sure as hell don't.

I've had medically documented migraines since I was 18 years old. I know certain things that will always trigger them like strong perfume, cigarette smoke and some other smells. Otherwise, after taking part in more migraine studies than I can recall, the team of physicians at Johns Hopkins and Harvard concluded that, in my case, it's genetics.

My father, grandfather and great-grandfather had bad headaches (that made them mean as hell - hmm, never does that to me :whistling:) until they were between 50 to 55 years old. I'm in that age range now and can't wait for them to ease. I still get 2 or 3 a week and 1 every couple of years that puts me in the hospital. Unfortunately, it's this genetic issue that seems to have manifested itself in a far worse manner in my oldest daughter who has had to endure 2 open skull brain surgeries. She gets the blinding, put you in the hospital, headaches almost on a monthly basis and run of the mill, wanna kill yourself type, several times a week. It amazes me that she's taking the hardest classes, making up for a lost year spent in hospitals, and is maintaining her lifetime perfect 4.0 GPA.

I honestly think I could hold still for minimal invasive surgery with no pain blocking easier than I can take a full blown migraine. I assure you that broken bones, ripped ligaments and destroyed joints don't hurt nearly as much. Generally, you can get into a position where the pain from those injuries go away. If there is any position you can assume that eases a migraine, I've not found it. My right shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago seems to be a fail. It hurts like hell now and I am having another MRI on Friday to see if I have to go right back under the knife. Still, I'll take this pain over a migraine any day of the week. Kirk, I truly know how much of a relief it must be for your wife to have even a little break from migraines. I sincerely wish her all the best with all my heart.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I assure you that broken bones, ripped ligaments and destroyed joints don't hurt nearly as much.

I'd agree with that. I've only had about 4 of them in my life but the last one, about 20 years ago, was so damned bad that if I could have got out of bed and reached my gun, I would have gladly shot myself. It was that frickin' bad. Jeez, I've never felt pain like that in my life. :hammer::hammer:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
all i know is i had one last night wished i had a giliting so i could seperate the part of my body that was hurting so much never had a haedache that bad