• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Big warm up coming

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hard to believe a week ago it was snowing and blowing sleet around. We are up to 64 and supposed to hit 73 or more today. Week should end at 80+before a slight drop over the weekend. Guess I can put the winter boots and coat away again. Sure is a shame we lost some plants and flowers to the frost and cold. This heat should bring on a lot of things. I know the damn dandelions are sure not hurt from the cold.:hammer:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We don't put any plants in the ground that don't like the frost until Memorial Day weekend up here. Just not worth it. Of course you can can cover them up if you only have a few, but not practical for large gardens.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Once the fog burned off this morning it heated up real quick. We are at 77 already. I have been stacking wood waiting for things to dry off and it is brutal up under the tin roof. Plus I have a pissed off mama robin who don't like anybody getting close to her nest. No air moving and humid so I will finish the bucket I have sitting there and move on to planting some trees.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Same here. Switched from heat to A/C this morning as the temps started to climb quickly. Currently 80 and on its way up to approx. 86 today.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have all the windows open but if this sun keeps beating down I might be doing the same thing. Crazy 40+ temp swings are hard on us old folks.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Ended up putting the a/c on when it hit 83 inside. Too humid to do much anyway.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Ended up putting the a/c on when it hit 83 inside. Too humid to do much anyway.

Kinda close here as well . Turned on the central air to check it out .......seems like the compressors taken a crap . :hammer:
The units 11 years old , and is only a 10 seer unit . Might be a good time to upgrade to something more efficient .

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Kinda close here as well . Turned on the central air to check it out .......seems like the compressors taken a crap . :hammer:
The units 11 years old , and is only a 10 seer unit . Might be a good time to upgrade to something more efficient .

About every third year or so my compressor won't start on the first try. I have found that giving it a day it will usually start on the next try. Never know, it may work for you too.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
About every third year or so my compressor won't start on the first try. I have found that giving it a day it will usually start on the next try. Never know, it may work for you too.

Yup , did that . And , given that I was an acft. electrician ... I even tested the start capacitor to see if it would make me Curse !

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you check the run contactor to see if you are sending voltage to the compressor? I have seen earwig bugs build a cocoon in the contacts and keep them from making and starting the motor.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Bummer. ........and may I assume you cursed?
Oh Yeah ! even did a little dance as the ground was wet . The 3 labs , 1 dachshund ,and the cat were dismayed ,as they knew dinner was to be delayed due to unforeseen swearing .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you check the run contactor to see if you are sending voltage to the compressor? I have seen earwig bugs build a cocoon in the contacts and keep them from making and starting the motor.

thanks for the suggestion . Yup first thing that was checked . second was grounded , third was all the terminals for corrosion . last was the start capacitor to see if it would kill me .

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you guys stop braggen it was 0 thismorning with fresh snow on the ground .global warming m f'n a$$e i' bout sick and tired of this cold and the damnd heating bills that go with it. on the plus ide at least the sun is staying up till midnight and i don't have to give the other half of my pay check to the utility company

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Got up to 86 here today and very humid.
Kept all the windows open and a few fans going.
Wasn't too bad in here when I got home.

I'll wait until it gets positively tropical : 95 temp/dew point above 70% before I fire up the a/c for the first time.. which could be anytime now, considering Ohio weather.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
it's gorgeous here. gotta have the guy take the a/c from the extra room & install it in this one soon.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it sure cooled down after this latest round of storms went through. Thunder has died off and the rain is lightly falling instead of beating against the windows.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll wait until it gets positively tropical : 95 temp/dew point above 70% before I fire up the a/c for the first time.
Why?!?!??!

If your A/C unit is relatively new, they're pretty darn cheap to operate.

I have a 5-ton heat pump cooling a whole lotta space and it only costs me about $2 per day on even the hottest days.