• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My Days are numbered !!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thats right :clap:. I am leaving California for good after having a home here for 55 years .Its time to go . With Dad's Passing we have decided to pack up the house here and move pretty much everything to the Idaho Ranch . The housing market sucks right now so we intend to long term leased the house out and see if the selling market improves in time . Rental incomes have not dropped a dime here so it should work out fine . I have contracted with a company to maintain the house for me .

I still find myself trying to phone Dad's place to see how he is feeling and then I realize he has passed away .

So now its time to get serious about starting that new cattle ranch for the wife and I . Its something she would like to try . I'm just happy with my Elk so she gets to be the Lady boss on this one .She gets to hire the hands to help and set it all up . I'm drinking coffee down at the local cafe and play in my shop !! Not quite sure how much time this will leave for Panama vacations ,but time will tell .

Next month we head up to Carson City to inspect a herd of wild Mustang horses that have been broke to ride . The wife is hoping to find one or two that meet her requirements . Me .... I'll just stay with my good old Polaris 500 ATV .
I figure we have about 3 months of packing , yard selling , and getting everything ready for the big move .
Its still hard to believe that I am leaving .

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
New beginnings Al!!
Sounds like a dreamy step into something fantastic to me!!
Hugs and good luck on the new adventure.
:smile::smile:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds exciting Al. Lots to do for sure. I used to keep two places a couple of hours apart. One on the river and the other in a suburb of Columbus Oh. Sure was nice to quit that and move to one place. :thumb:
I wish you well in getting everything together for the move. It's going to be mighty hectic for you for the next few months, but in the end it will surely be worth it.
Cheers :beer:

American Woman

Site Supporter
Congratulations on your new freedom to make a change. It sounds like your better half is excited about getting a much need change too :wink:

Trakternut

Congrats, Al!! Forget about Panama. Them cows are a 24/7/365 proposition. I see your other half plans on hiring help. That's good, but be assured, you'll get roped into helping out, too. Thing about hired help is, that there's damn few of 'em that'll look after things as well as you would in your absence. While they ride herd on the cows, you'll hafta ride herd on them! Full time job!!!
Anyway. Glad life's finally making turns for the better for you. You deserve it!!!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Congratulations Al. I think that will be just about the perfect thing for you. You will still pop in here now and then right?

murph

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Awesome, Al. Congratulations.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, though. Did you post something elsewhere? I must have missed it. My condolences to you and your family on that.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I am with Av8r here... I missed the passing somehow...

Congrats on making the move! I think it will work out GREAT for you.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, though. Did you post something elsewhere? I must have missed it. My condolences to you and your family on that.

I am with Av8r here... I missed the passing somehow...

Yes ,Dad Passed away on the 3rd of Jan . I'm still walking around in a daze . I am so use to calling or going out to check on Dad ,that I find myself still thinking I need to do that . Then reality kicks in and I realize he is gone .
The cattle are more my wifes idea . I had always planned on having a couple steers to fatten up each year and supply fresh meat to friends and nieghbors . I am still hoping for something like that . I figured if I got a Mother cow for breeding , we could take the calves as they became yearlings . Problem is I know the wife is going to name each one of them and then we are going to have another new pet running around.
Oh well , I guess we can name him "spot" or something like that and teach him to roll over , shake hands and fetch a ball . I just hope he does not dig holes in the front yard .

cabinboy

Hey, AL this is great news that you and the wife are opening the book of your lives, to yet another new and exciting chapter. We will be looking forward to hearing about the new challenges of life on the ranch,and what ever it throws at you two. good luck and enjoy!!:flowers::unsure::flowers:

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about your dad.:sad:

Hope the ranch thing works out.

You can help the wife name the cattle! ( we'll call this one ribeye, and that one porterhouse...) She should appreciate the help!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Time for a change! You've been wanting to do this for a while now so take full advantage of it! Kick those feet up. Relax! It's time you enjoy yourself. Good luck! And don't forget about us when you make the move.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
This sounds like a real exciting venture. Are you going to get into it big time as in a couple of hundred or plan on keeping it small?

Now we know why the investment in the meat packing equipment.:whistling:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Are you going to get into it big time as in a couple of hundred or plan on keeping it small?

I don't think it will be that big . I'm thinking under 50 Cow/Calf pairs when we are at full production . We are in the process of buying two more adjoining small ranches to increase ours and this will give us additional pasture land we need . We can only get one cutting a year because of the short growing season but the grass is excellent quality . I believe my wife intends to market them as "Organic Beef" which brings a pretty high price per pound here .

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
50 pair should be enough to keep one busy part time. The organic angle as it adds to the price is a good one.

Growing up, we had twenty cows and that was more than enough to keep my mother, sister and myself busy. We had to shovel the chopped up had from the hay mound in the upper level of the barn to the cattle below and when it was cold you could push it down for hours at a time and they never did seem to get enough to eat.

Kind of miss that type of life, but have checked into buying calves in the spring feeding them the excess garden produce and vines, but there is no way to make any money doing it that way as the spring price is way to high.