• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Blowing ? What do you use ?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Who is doing this today ?? What kind of Snow Blower do you have? Mine is a older 3ph Trackless 70" inch , 2 stage , PTO driven all hydraulic unit. They were mostly used by citys and countries . I have been told that New York City has many of these . I think all have there own self drive system now and no longer make the PTO style . Hella Blower !!! I have never seen anything that could stop it . Picture from eariler this year .

Attachments

• idaho 042.jpg
    idaho 042.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 57

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a bucket only. Works ok for me. My drive way isn't that long so if I make about 5 passes I pretty much can push it all out and across the road. I would like a snow blower but don't know if my neck could handle one on the back. My wife told me just to go out and get one for the front. Well that was up until I told her how much they are. So changed her mind. I also like the bucket as I have a 6 and a 3 year old neighbor kids that just love me because I can build big piles for them. Hard not to help the neighbors with little kids that love ya. I don't have grandchildren yet and no sign in site.

murph

ps: according to the weather report about 9:00 tonight we will get freezing rain. I hate that, give me all the snow you can but that rain is a mess that is there for the rest of the year.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay and I both use Buhler Farm King blowers on our tractors. Somewhat smaller than yours, but effective here in the midwest, especially since he and I use similar sized tractors (24 hp New Holland for me).

I also use a Midwest scraper blade for ice conditions. So far that is what I have used this year. We've got several inches of snow on the ground, but we've also had freezing rain in our recent ice storm, the scraper blade combined with a hydraulic top-link does a pretty good job of getting rid of the ice pack.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay and I both use Buhler Farm King blowers on our tractors. Somewhat smaller than yours, but effective here in the midwest, especially since he and I use similar sized tractors (24 hp New Holland for me).

I also use a Midwest scraper blade for ice conditions. So far that is what I have used this year. We've got several inches of snow on the ground, but we've also had freezing rain in our recent ice storm, the scraper blade combined with a hydraulic top-link does a pretty good job of getting rid of the ice pack.

Bob ,

Do you happen to know if Buhler makes a 6' blower in a 3PH . My nieghbor is having a heck of a time trying to find one and I have no idea what to suggest in the new stuff .

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bob ,

Do you happen to know if Buhler makes a 6' blower in a 3PH . My nieghbor is having a heck of a time trying to find one and I have no idea what to suggest in the new stuff .

I am not Bob but when I was looking Buhler did have one in 6ft cause that is what is what I wanted in the back of mine if I went that way.

Buhler

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope, no 6 footer. They do make a 6'2" version though! :thumb:

http://www.buhler.com/dev/sbfk-spec.html

Got to love a smart ass :punk:

As for my observation of quality, two of my local tractor dealers sell Buhler equipment. I'd say it is "upper-middle" in the quality range, but in terms of price it has been a modest price brand (possibly because of the US$ to Canadian$ exchange rate at the time I was buying). I think their box blades are pretty good, but not as heavily built as the MIDWEST brand (Midwest also makes scraper and box blades for Kioti). But while not as heavy as Midwest, the Buhler/Farm King brand is heavier built than most of the others I've looked at like Howse, Frontier, etc. The Buhler snow blower, in my opinion, is a pretty good one. Fit and finish is good, in fact after several seasons of exposure to snow, ice and rocks the finish is held up well. I suspect it is a baked on powdercoat rather than paint, but that is just a guess.

Dave, any thoughts on the quality? You've had yours 1 season less than me, any problems with yours?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave, any thoughts on the quality? You've had yours 1 season less than me, any problems with yours?

Just an undersized and poorly located shear bolt (it was somewhere near the small chain sprocket, at the end of the transverse drive shaft). And if it wasn't a shear bolt that I broke, then it is severely undersized for the stress it experienced.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Kubota 66" (approx) blower. Other than the fact that it won't squeeze the football size rocks through it, it has been paying for itself this year. It bogs down when the snow gets icy/slushy but for the tons of powder we just had it was awesome.

I have replaced almost every shear bolt on it in the last week though but that is not the blower's fault. :hide:

The good thing is that I only paid $1000 for it and was able to drive my tractor to pick it up from the Craigslist seller (~1 mile away). :thumb:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Kubota 66" (approx) blower.
Wow...I really like the direct drive gearbox for the augers! Mine has a chain at one end of the auger shaft and I have had a chunk of ice bind in there to the point where I was worried about the strength of the chain....that was when the aforementioned bolt sheared. :blink:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Having a nice warm cab is much better. Also helps for pulling my car out of the ditch after sliding down the hill out of my garage this morning. :hammer:

WE got 8" of unforcasted snow last night and it took me 3-1/2 hours to make the 27 mile trip to work.

Attachments

• Plow 2.jpg
    Plow 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 31

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Having a nice warm cab is much better. Also helps for pulling my car out of the ditch after sliding down the hill out of my garage this morning. :hammer:

WE got 8" of unforcasted snow last night and it took me 3-1/2 hours to make the 27 mile trip to work.

Do you drive to work with the plow on?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
That wouldn't have been as much of a challenge as putting the plow away and driving the Jetta to work. :chicken:

(Brains are not necessarily my strong point.)

Roads looked fine (to the point where the county plow driver lives). After that, no plowing for the next 20 miles. I should have turned around an went home.

Today should have been canceled due to lack of interest. :blink:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Naw. I think, due to the lack of management and interest here today, that I'll be heading home at 11 and do some of the neighbors' driveways. :whistling:

It's starting to "freezing-rain" here now. :censored:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
It is nothing but an ice rink around here. Took my daughter to work, main highways are ok with a lot of sand and salt on them, the back roads are glare ice.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
A lot of the Lorenz around here. Usually on 50 to 150HP it seems. I think a lot of blue ones too [Wildcat, or perhaps Rural; either way they don't make it anymore].

I remember Dad used a Canadian built [can't remember the name at all] front mount blower. That thing could make a path like nothing and seemed to throw it a mile [every couple years sacrificing a garage window in the process too]; however, it had a single auger in the middle with wings on both sides about like an inverted snowplow, so as much as it could eat fluffy stuff 5ft deep, it was a horsepower hog, and just lousey with hard drifts - either break them up with the loader on another tractor first or attack them from all funny angles to get the auger to contact the hardest spots.

I just use the loader; actually my wife will run the PT, so I like that even better! I keep thinking it'd be fun to drop the BH and mount a blower on it in the winter, but too cheap, besides that BH is nice to get out of a sticky spot even on snow.