• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First cutting...Finally!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Got all 10 acres of hay cut this afternoon. It's only about three weeks late because of the weather. :evil:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Better late than never! Imagine buying it instead..

That's what we decided to do this year for the first time in living memory. We have so much left from last year and when you can buy it at $25 a roll, it hardly seems worthwhile fertillizing, cutting, baling and stacking it. It's a gamble, we'll wait and see??????

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
That's what we decided to do this year for the first time in living memory. We have so much left from last year and when you can buy it at $25 a roll, it hardly seems worthwhile fertillizing, cutting, baling and stacking it. It's a gamble, we'll wait and see??????

You have to be freaking kidding me?!!? Hay around here is going for $6.50 per small square bale and $85 for 1500lb rolls!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You have to be freaking kidding me?!!? Hay around here is going for $6.50 per small square bale and $85 for 1500lb rolls!

It was up there over 2 years ago. Right now you can get just about all you want at $20 - $25 a roll (approx 1200 lb) in East Texas.

Barnyard Bob

The price and quanity sure changes every year in this country, Ive found it better to cut and bale no matter what! My grand dad always had three years on hand if possible and fed the oldest first. BTW you do need something to feed it to. :brows:

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I've got a dumb question. Bare with me here, but I have to ask. The large round bales of hay, are they one ton bales? The reason why I ask is I am currently pricing out hay for the future and I saw a ad for horse hay. It priced hay by the ton, so I was trying to figure out how many tons a large round roll was.

Second question, If I free feed two horses on a large round bale of hay, approixmately how long would it last?????

Barnyard Bob

CG; Large Round bales can run from 1000lb + or - to 1500lb + I normally estmate by the bales vertical size, horse hay is most often some type of grass and alfalfa mix. the answer to your last question, depends on the size of the horses, but I would guess 10days to two weeks in a moderate climate and of corse less in a cold one.
BTW be sure to check for white mold dust under the first few layers of the hay. Good Luck! :smile:

Forgot to add, Horses will waste quite alot when feeding free choice, use a good bale feeder or a good pitch fork!

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
rate of use depends on size of critter, breed, (easy keeper old stock appy vs. warm blood) how active it is, (pet vs. working animal) and manners. (does it pull all the hay out, spread it into a finely trampled mass and whizz all over it, or does it eat quietly at the feeder and not waste a lot?)

4x4 bales of brome or orchard grass run about 800 pounds.
4x5, 5x5, 5x6, and 6x6 bales get progressively heavier up to a ton.

white mold isn't really going to make a gelding sick, so long as there's a way for it to air out as it's flaked off, as long as there's not lots of it in there -- but if you're feeding it to a mare, it can cause her to miscarry.
the mold comes from baling the hay too wet. (still damp from dew, not raked, then turned and fluffed again, etc...)
when feeding small bales, I generally estimate 1/2 bale per horse per day for non-working animals - for an average of 50 pound bales. This covers variations in weather, since they'll eat more when it's really cold.
with free feeding big bales, expect to lose 1/3 - 1/2 of the hay to waste, unless you're in there twice a day forking it back into the feeder before the idiots trample/whizz it into mulch.

Even with a feeder, in the past I've forked it full each day instead of leaving the whole bale in it.

what kind of horses?
quarters, warm bloods, old stock appys?

sorry if it sounds like I'm lecturing - and telling you lots of stuff you already know. ;)

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Thanks Barnyard bob and Erik.

Erik,

I am looking at getting a couple of quarter horses next year. I had horses when I was growing up, but with college and life I had to sell them. We go camping and snowmobiling a lot so I was trying to think of a way to free feed the horses. I was thinking of getting a round bale feeder and placing it under a lean-to barn so it keeps the hay out of the weather. Back in the day we use to estimate 100 small square bales per horse per year. I am not familar with round bales, so I wasn't sure how long a large round bale would last and how many I would need in a year.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
you planning on buying young and training them yourselves, or finding a couple 5-6 year olds someone else's kids are tired of caring for? ;)

If you really want the convenience of the round bale feeder for weekend trips and such, I'd make the lean to big enough you can put a wall in it and build the round bale feeder into the wall - that way you don't have to go into the paddock/dry lot to add a new bale, and you can limit some of the mess by limiting how much of the feeder they can get to.

good luck!

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
you planning on buying young and training them yourselves, or finding a couple 5-6 year olds someone else's kids are tired of caring for? ;)

Right now with being time limited and wanting to ride right away, I am looking for one horse that is completely kids broke for by boyfriend and another horse for me. I dont have time to break a horse so I am looking for one that is at least green broke or has 60-90 days on it. I want a registered mare for me so I can breed in the future. the other horse doesn't necessarily need to be registered.

thanks for the imput on the feeder. We havent built a barn yet, so I will keep the feeder idea in mind.

American Woman

Site Supporter
The feeder is a good idea. Horses will eat as long as the hay is available to them. We are supposed to have our hay field cut soon also. It's WAY over due :rolleyes:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
thanks for the imput on the feeder. We havent built a barn yet, so I will keep the feeder idea in mind.

I assume the barn is going to wait for next spring - maybe you should have a forumsforums barn raising party? ;) (24 x 48 pole barn can be put up in about 3 days after the poles are set - without killing all the help)

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I assume the barn is going to wait for next spring - maybe you should have a forumsforums barn raising party? ;) (24 x 48 pole barn can be put up in about 3 days after the poles are set - without killing all the help)

now that is the best idea I have heard of in a long time. I will buy the food and beer, any takers?????? rep points for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
let me know when and where, and I'll try not to schedule any vacations at the same time. ;) (I'll even bring tools and my own tent) Any excuse to spend a few days in Colorado (away from Denver metro) is a good excuse! Pole barns are pretty quick and easy to put up, but you'll want someone lighter than me up on top of the purlins setting steel for the roof.