• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How do you get rid of a HUGE WASP NEST

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Know the Enemy!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/yellow/pic07western.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/yellow/jacket.html&h=297&w=497&sz=42&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=gq0Rxlohz_AHuM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dyellow%2Bjackets%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26sa%3DG

The Yellow Jacket is a member of the wasp and hornet family Vespidae; in Alberta the most familar example is the Western Yellowjacket: Vespula pensylvanica. There are actually twelve species of yellow jackets in Alberta and seventeen in North America. In most of North America, yellow jacket colonies flourish during the summer and fall; they die off in the winter.

pic07western.jpg

The Western Yellow Jacket
pic00.jpg
A single yellow jacket queen begins building a nest in the spring. She lays eggs to produce workers, which soon take over the nest-building, and also begin foraging for food. Meanwhile the queen continues laying eggs, which hatch as larvae and are continually fed until they pupate; adults emerge from the pupas about three weeks later.

Workers searching for food will concentrate mainly on finding and killing other insects, such as flies and bees, within a hundred metres or so of the nest. They will continue to enlarge the nest until fall, when there may be as many as 1000 wasps living in it. In late summer, the queen produces eggs which become fertile females; these will become queens and leave the nest to mate, spending the winter alone in protected places under tree bark, in rotten logs, or sometimes in the walls of a house. The original nest is abandoned in winter; only the queen survives. She also spends the winter in a safe spot until spring. When a new season begins, old nests are not resused.

pic04.jpg

Yellow jacket wasps can be up to an inch long. They are distinctive not only because of their black and yellow, or sometimes black and white, colour, but also because their bodies have a definite waist and they fold their wings lengthwise. Like other wasps, yellow jackets chew bits of wood and leaves to make a paste, which they shape into a paper-like nest.

Yellow jackets build their nests in the ground or attached to branches. Sometimes they will make one in the walls of a building. The Western yellow jacket nests on the ground, often building a nest under porches or in cracks in structures. Unlike many other wasps, which are exclusively predators, the western yellow jacket is also a scavenger ... it is particularly attracted to garbage and anyhting with sugar in it. This scavenging makes it a pest, but it is what allows it to survive late into the fall.

pic05.jpg
pic03.jpg

If a nest of yellow jackets is disturbed, workers will aggressively defend it by stinging. Yellowjackets can sting more than once. Usually a sting is just a temporarily painful experience, resulting in redness, itching and pain.

A hollow stinger is located at the rear of the yellow jacket's body. When it penetrates the skin, venom is injected through the stinger. It takes about 1,500 stings to kill an adult man.

For people who are allergic, a single sting may result in a serious reaction, or in some cases, death. Between 0.5 and 1.0 percent of the population may be allergic to yellowjacket venom. Yellow jackets are also sometimes responsible for infection ... a contaminated stinger can inject bacteria beneath the victim's skin, causing blood poisoning.

pic01.jpg
pic02.jpg
pic09.jpg

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I just noticed that I had left the :poke: out of my post...:whistling:

Choosing to let the bug guy handle it is a good move....:wall:

In the more tropical areas of the country...Fla and So. Cal as an example, they do not die off in the winter. The nest numbers diminish some as the colony splits.

That one has been there for a while. Guess you'll monitor a little more closely and knock'em down when they're small.

Had one that filled much of a wall cavity once. There had been a hole made in the siding which allowed them to enter and exit. You could hear/feel the wall buzzing. Wild!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ckets&um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&sa=G

...Yellow jacket wasps can be up to an inch long. They are distinctive not only because of their black and yellow, or sometimes black and white, colour, but also because their bodies have a definite waist and they fold their wings lengthwise.

... western yellow jacket is also a scavenger ... it is particularly attracted to anything with sugar in it.

If a nest of yellow jackets is disturbed, workers will aggressively defend it by stinging.
Fogtender, thanks! That's exactly what I have. All year there are a few overlooked apples rotting in the tall grass, that attract these guys.

And there are a couple of family pear trees down in the back of the apple orchard, of a variety that sweats sugar all over the pears, leaves, everything, when they are ripe. There are always yellowjackets visiting those pear trees at harvest. We seem to get along. I've never been stung, but my wife was one time when she got one up her sleeve and swatted it. At least his friends didn't join in.

Choosing to let the bug guy handle it is a good move....:wall:

Today I phoned and the dispatcher said the guy got the nest removed, with a 30 day guarantee to get the rest if they come back.

Mission accomplished!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Fogtender, thanks! That's exactly what I have. All year there are a few overlooked apples rotting in the tall grass, that attract these guys.

Today I phoned and the dispatcher said the guy got the nest removed, with a 30 day guarantee to get the rest if they come back.

Mission accomplished!

Glad nobody got stung.

Funny that I have been around them all my life, been stung a lot over the years and never knew they were part of the wasp family, always figured they were bees... Too busy trying not to piss them off.

We have had them pretty heavy in the last few years and they eat all the mosquitos really well, so much in fact that we haven't had a big issue with the blood suckers...