• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Silly City folks move to the country, expect to change the country...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK first off I'm an ex-city/suburban boy and my wife is an ex-city girl. But 20 years ago when we went looking for land we decided we would be the ones who had to adapt to rural ways. We've never asked the surrounding farmers to change for us. But we've seen some neighbors move it, expect farmers to alter their ways, and then these same neighbors would move away after failing to change the country habits.

So to all the silly city people I offer this story. It warms my heart :yum:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397625,00.html

REDNECK STONEHENGE

HOOPER, Utah — A farmer has erected a fence in his backyard made of three old cars sticking up in the air to send a message to new neighbors that he can do whatever he wants on his farm.

"This is just a fun way for me to say, 'Hey boys, I'm still here,'" said Rhett Davis. "This is my redneck Stonehenge."

Davis came up with the idea after neighbors who recently moved into homes next to his hayfield complained about his farm.

"The people who bought the homes say, 'Well, we love looking into your yard and seeing the horses and the cattle, but we don't like the flies, and we don't like the mosquitoes,' and when I cut my field to bale it, they say, 'We don't like the dust in the air,'" Davis said.

Davis said he offered to pay half the cost of a fence between his property and the others and to build it. He said his neighbors declined the offer, saying it would block their view.

Neighbors declined to comment to the Standard-Examiner of Ogden.

Davis said after the neighbors declined his offer, he used a backhoe to dig three large holes on the edge of his property, then took three cars that had competed in demolition derbies and planted them nose-first into the ground.

He said the cars were planted out of humor rather than spite. He said it's important that new residents moving into the area realize that Hooper remains a farming community.

The area has grown recently with new residents who desire a country atmosphere but don't want the smells and noises of farm life, Davis said.

"I respect that they're here and spent a lot on their homes, but on the other hand, give me a little bit, too. I've been here since I was 7 years old," he said.

Davis said he doesn't intend to keep the cars up permanently.

"I've talked to my neighbors and worked things out. I really just thought this would be a funny thing to do," he said. "These can come out just as easy as they went in."​

Attachments

• 0_61_080408_stonehenge.jpg
    0_61_080408_stonehenge.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 1_64_080508_rhett.jpg
    1_64_080508_rhett.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 0805080929_M_080408_stonehenge2.jpg
    0805080929_M_080408_stonehenge2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 0805080929_M_080408_stonehenge3.jpg
    0805080929_M_080408_stonehenge3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 89

American Woman

Site Supporter
OK first off I'm an ex-city/suburban boy and my wife is an ex-city girl. But 20 years ago when we went looking for land we decided we would be the ones who had to adapt to rural ways. We've never asked the surrounding farmers to change for us. But we've seen some neighbors move it, expect farmers to alter their ways, and then these same neighbors would move away after failing to change the country habits.

So to all the silly city people I offer this story. It warms my heart :yum:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397625,00.html

REDNECK STONEHENGE

HOOPER, Utah — A farmer has erected a fence in his backyard made of three old cars sticking up in the air to send a message to new neighbors that he can do whatever he wants on his farm.

With that many neighbors the poor guy ain't in the country anymore....
Really....it looks like a typical redneck's yard...except ours has a broke down motorcycle wait'in on Redneck to restore it one day.:glare:

Trakternut

A number of years back, a housing development started to creep toward a large hog farm which had been there for many years. The "city folks" wanted the county to force the hog farm to move because of the smell. We don't move farms in North Dakota. If ya don't like the stink............don't move close to one. :shifty:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We don't move farms in North Dakota. If ya don't like the stink............don't move close to one. :shifty:

Same with Indiana. But that doesn't stop the new neighbors from complaining. My 'neighborhood' is surrounded by farms, almost all my neighbors are refugees from Chicago/suburbs and they move out here to get away from the high taxes, crime, etc. But SOME of them think that the regulations of the city need to be imposed on the farms. Those folks usually live out here for a few years and then move. But while they are here they stir up endless grief, or try to. I try to warn them about the dust from soybean harvests, but it never fails that someone will hang laundry or leave their windows open on a day when a soybean field is harvested :biggrin: It still amazes me how much dust comes off the fields, and how far it can travel on a breeze, when soybeans are harvested.

One of my 'neighbors' is a hunt club. As the population has moved down here over the years he's gotten grief. Not from me, because one of the reasons we purchased our property was specifically because it was suitable for shooting. But others complain about the noise and 'ohmygosh' the guns across the creek!

urednecku

Site Supporter
A number of years back, a housing development started to creep toward a large hog farm which had been there for many years. The "city folks" wanted the county to force the hog farm to move because of the smell. We don't move farms in North Dakota. If ya don't like the stink............don't move close to one. :shifty:
Same here. Years ago, a man built a cattle receiving / shipping yard several miles outta town, so as not to be too close to anybody with the smell. (Turned out for several years, he was the largest cattle shipper east of the Mississippi River. Not sure about now.) YEP, people moved close, & wanted him to close down. The county told em quick, "he was there first!"

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Same thing goes on here. Mass influx of ex city dwellers wanting to "rough it in the country". People like the Skurka's (change my views to adapt to my new home) are generally warmly welcomed. People who move here with the intent of making everything " like back in Jersey" have a pretty rough time of it. As it should be.

The locals call them city-its.

They love the low property tax rates, so they come and build McMansions. And bring their neighbors. Who do the same. Then, newsflash! All property values go up, as do property taxes.

Then they cry foul...

The Tourist

Banned
All true. This happened to my Dad's suburban house.

In the mid-1950s the neighborhood we lived in started to change, and my family became one of those known in Milwaukee as "white flight."

At that time there was a very rural little town called Fussville, which was situated amongst Milwaukee, Germantown and Menomonee Falls. For reasons I don't know, most/all of the farmers in that area all sold out at about the same time, and the entire area was sub-divided by land speculators.

It was annexed by Menomonee Falls shortly after.

When my Dad retired, he remarked about the same things mentioned here. Population density. Taxes. Mandatory water restrictions. New multi-lane highways.

He then settled on the side of a mountain in Ashville, NC.

That's one thing I inherited from my Dad. I'm not a people person, and I like them less when they come in droves.

Bamby

Kind of reminds me of where people bought property near existing shooting ranges and then proceeded to attempt to close them down. I believe some may have been successful in it also.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
This is a widespread problem. We have lived in rural areas for over 35 years and have seen a lot of it. I don't understand why people move into a rural area and insist on bringing the city along. If they want paved roads, shopping malls, and all the conveniences, why don't they stay in the city?

Friends had a cattle feedlot in northern Colorado. When housing developments cropped up around them, they were forced to move their operation about 30 miles and completely rebuild.

This area is open range, which means if you want to keep cattle from grazing on your property, you must fence them out. A former city dweller bought a few acres a couple of years ago and got upset when the neighbor's cattle came onto his property. He left his gate to the highway open and chased the cattle through it. After a law officer talked to him, he closed the gate. The rancher tried to work with him to put up an electric fence, but it didn't work too well. The rancher moved his cattle elsewhere after a couple of them mysteriously died. He suspected poison, but couldn't prove it.