• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

We pour tomorrow!!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Ya All !

Been Kinda busy up here at the ranch ,since returning to Idaho . I laid out the new location for the new barn/shop and have been busy grading out the pad, digging footings, and laying out the steel rebar.
It ended up being 40' x 60' with 10' sheds on each side .After about 10 days of prep work we are finally ready to pour concrete footings in the morning . Concrete is coming from 54 miles away . All the new concrete block is on site and a big pile of gravel is sitting and ready to be spread soon .
Ended up putting in a nice hobby room with a full bath for the wife. I added a under floor drain system for the horse stalls which should work well for keeping the stalls nice and dry .
I'm looking at different heat sources and will more than likely go with two complete systems to heat the barn and shop areas as needed.
I'll try to grab some pictures as we go so it will be easier to watch the progress .
I'm hoping to have complete "close in" by the time the snow flies .

I have 370' lf of footings to pour tomorrow .The footings are 8"x20" thick so we are going to use quite a bit of concrete .

More Later!!!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Neat project Al! I thought we were accomplishing something just getting the garage painted and doors rehung!

370lf Wow! Does each stall get footings all around?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry about no pictures ,but I am on the lap top and do not have the ability to show them from here . I am taking pictures so you should see a start to close in all at once ,when I get back to my main computer .

Well 16 yards of concrete later ,the barn footings are done. When I transit shot the finish grade on the poured footings this morning , I was within 1/4" in 60 feet on the entire lenght. That made is very easy to set the concrete block corners exactly level .

I used geometry to pre determine the diagonal lenght across the barn pad to have the barn absolutely square .It saves a lot of time needing to recheck the diagonal distance until you achieve the same measurement.

To aquire the diagonal distance on a square or rectangle ,the math formula is to square the lenght ,then square the width add the two sums together and square root that to give you the diagonal measurement .In my case , a 40' x 60' rectangle will have a 72'-1 5/16 " measurement on the diagonal .:clap:

Someone asked if I placed a footing on the horse stall perimeter? Yes I did . Since I am putting in sub drains in the stalls I wanted a good footing for the wall supports .The sub drains will be down about 18 " below the finished floor height in the stall floors.It will be made up of layers of Clay , clean 1 1/2" gravel layer of 6" thick compacted followed by a pourous finished material . A straw or sawdust base will go over this , which will get changed on a regular basis .

I should have the block walls all in place over the weekend and then its on to underground plumbing and placing underslab gravel in preparation to pour the Concrete slab.
More later !!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
95 degrees here today ! Its setting heat records around here . I worked to about 11:30 AM and than took a break until 6;00 PM this evening and worked to 9:00 . One more wall to go . I hurt in places I did not think was possible!