• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

electric horse fence and dogs?

we have our pastures fenced in using braided poly rope and a solar charger...it has served us well for years

we also have an underground fence around the yard for the dogs...our one knucklehead dobe found "his spot" where he can race thru the fence and tolerate the shock.

We'd like to fence in that side of the yard with and extension of the horse fencing and have 3 lines closer to the ground - maybe spaced about a foot apart.

Any reason why we shouldn't do this? From what I've read, they may touch the new fence once, and that will usually take care of it.

Cityboy

Banned
we have our pastures fenced in using braided poly rope and a solar charger...it has served us well for years

we also have an underground fence around the yard for the dogs...our one knucklehead dobe found "his spot" where he can race thru the fence and tolerate the shock.

We'd like to fence in that side of the yard with and extension of the horse fencing and have 3 lines closer to the ground - maybe spaced about a foot apart.

Any reason why we shouldn't do this? From what I've read, they may touch the new fence once, and that will usually take care of it.

It'll work. One touch of that wet nose on that electric fence and they'll get the message.
electricf.gif
<------(I love that smiley)
icon10.gif

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Works great once they touch it they will not push it again as long as you leave the fence up. As soon as you remove the fence they will be gone again. They easily recognize the fence as the one that hurt them.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
we turn our fence on for about a week every 3 or 4 months and that seems to be enough to remind the pups they don't want anything to do with it. Depending on the body part that comes in contact, the reinforcement may last longer. (the one who decided to "mark" the new thing didn't get within 5 feet of it for about 2 years)

urednecku

Site Supporter
I have had dogs that would just crawl right under. First time he yelped a little, after that he would just go on thru. I guess it depends on the dog and his will, and pain tolerance. My uncle tried one of the 'hidden' fences on some of his cur (cattle) dogs, one of them just dug up the wire & chewed it in two, while wearing the collar.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter

Where the dog races though the underground fence, cut into it and lace a large "Zig Zag" out about four rows, and then let him run though it, it won't stop the shocking for long enough that he will get the picture and not do it again.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I had to leave my dog at a friends house where there were short walls around the property. It's a awesome spectacle of grace and power to watch him clear a 5ft fence/wall...before I gotta start yelling at him.:evil: So I set up a 'Red Snapr' electric fence with easy in/out plastic posts. The first time he saw it, he approached cautiously and gave it a sniff. ZAPPP!!!! Lots of running and yelping with his tail between his legs. He stayed clear for most of the rest of the day, but in the late afternoon he got a little careless. He was wrestling a chew-toy a little to close to the wire and his tail and butt brushed against it. ZAPPP!!! Same result as last time...except....he shat himself horribly. :pat: Oh what a mess, all over his backside, tail, and down he back of his legs! We both paid for that one. But since then I don't even have to turn the wire on. He knows the yellow and black of the Snapr brand wire and won't go near it. I can even lay a bit of it across a doorway threshhold or even tape it across the top of the door frame. He will not cross.