• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hottest October day ever?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We were warm last week followed by 5 days of hard rain. Now it windy and getting colder for the weekend.:hammer:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I was wearing shorts this past monday and tuesday. I put those away and hauled out the rain jacket for two days. Rain turned to wet snow all day yesterday. Now it's -4 C. Gonna be a good day for bird hunting when the fog dies down.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its been running 10 degrees (F) COOLER than normal here for the past few weeks. We've already closed down our pool and only were able to use it a couple days the entire month of September.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Unseasonably cool here too. Miserable today, 44 F and raining/ drillzing; and I just picked up some trees I need to plant. Have to wait for better weather.

Good pics in that link Galvi. Kewl pic of the London Bridge and I especially liked the pic of the fish and chips. :D

Attachments

• RiverThamesLondonBridge.jpg
    RiverThamesLondonBridge.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 71
  • LondonBridge.jpg
    LondonBridge.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 72
  • fishandchips.jpg
    fishandchips.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 69

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice pics Galvi and thanks for sharing the info.
I think it was only hot during a season one time while I was living over there.

Pssssst Doc, that isn't London Bridge, it's Tower Bridge.
If you ever get the chance to visit London, I wouldn't make the mistake of calling it London Bridge.
Dat's in Arizona. :wink:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
-and while I'm at it, I'll just say that as an American tourist/prospective future Yorkshire lass, visiting London before Steven and I decided to wed.. there was one day that will forever stick with me.

He was taking me around all the London hotspots.
Standing outside the palace in the queue, there were the usual tourists, a lot of them from here in the US.
There were a crowd of them talking about getting pics of BuckingHAM palace.
Heavy on the ham.
I learned to pronounce it bucking-um real quick after Steven uttered "bloody Americans":yum:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
correct PG,it is indeed Tower Bridge...but we still do have a London Bridge,there have been many forms of London Bridge over the past 2000 years and have had to be replaced to keep up with the needs of modern day travel,but all have been in the same place.

The London Bridge that is in Arizona was designed by John Rennie and was completed and opened on the 1st August 1831...this served London well until the late 1960's hence the sale of it to Robert McCulloch,the existing one was completed and opened on the 17th March 1973,but to be honest it no longer stands out as it is just designed for modern day use and not for looks.

Tower bridge is by far one of the most amazing looking bridges in the world.

That's my History lesson for today...class dismissed:yum::yum::yum:

pictured is the London Bridge that stands today....it is just a bridge.

Attachments

• London_Bridge_Illuminated.jpg
    London_Bridge_Illuminated.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 53

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for running up there and snapping the pic for us!:whistling: Now let's have some more fish and chips!:brows:

Lia

Banned
They do indeed still have a London Bridge. Good post Galvi...

I once lived in London, for around 10 months or so. I loved living there, hated the job I was doing tho; cried myself to sleep nearly every night with depression. Since then I've never repeated the mistake of working for a boss; now I work for myself. I was young and naive, lol. But, living in London does have distinct advantages against those disadvantages that are obvious, such as the cost and the volume of inhabitants (altho few actually live in London, but more in surrounding area's).

One, for example is that I found that even in the dead of winter, one could walk across London Bridge during the evening and not feel cold in the slightest. Its the perfect evening walk also, at whatever time of year, and especially when tourists are not so thick on the ground. I was continually amazed at how warm it was too be in London (in the heart of it), at any time of the day or night. The evening balm and the lights around the Houses of Parliament, Piccadilly Circus (altho that seems so much less exciting now, I hardly recognised it recently when up there), etc, are enthralling. Theres a kind of surreal ambience to it.

The fish and chips did indeed look good. But, in all honesty, I would have to say that it is rare to find a fish and chip shop over here, where the chips conform to anything of such a description. They are often refried, overcooked, or just a mushy mess, worse than the mushy peas sometimes. And often the smell of cheap cooking oil prevades them. One could, in my experience, search the length and breadth of the Uk, and be lucky to find chips that are edible. Just my opinion...

One would be extraordinarily lucky now, to even find a fish and chip shop that is even run or managed by a brit. To give them their due, some chinese F&C shops do seem to have got the recipe down right, but they are few and far between. Galvi, do they still have the 'Pie and Mash' shops there now?

The Pie and Mash shops would serve Eel Pie and a huge dollop of mash, with a greeny white sauce, I don't know if they still do so. My Mother tells me that in the 60's one would literally take ones plate to the shop and it would be served up on it, as a takeaway. lol. The vision of such is hilarious I know, but she swears that that was in vogue, in London at that time.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the history lesson. :D
So, now you got me wondering what are the origins of the nursery rhyme "London Bridge is falling down"

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Indeed, our season has been exceptionally cool for the last couple of months. I only got my Jet Skis out once this year. :sad: I only got to open, clean, and close the pool. I never got to use it myself.

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in England and Wales on our late honeymoon. We stayed just off of Knightsbridge (sp?) in a really old hotel that didn't even have an elevator (I was told 'no lift', but didn't know what that meant). :doh: Our hotel was either attached to Herrods or one building away. Anyway, we were within walking distance of most of the sights. Galvi's pics bring back good memories.

Hey Galvi, in downtown London is it still almost impossible to find a place to eat after about 8pm? We had to walk down to the Hard Rock by Hyde Park to eat most nights. Of all things, and I've mentioned this before, we met an American fella who played and sang, impromptu, at the begging of the small crowd there one night. I though he was exceptionally good and that he should have tried to make a living at it. It turns out the guy was Richard Marx.

I'd love to go back again some day. We rented a car and drove everywhere. I still have about a dozen unpaid parking tickets (from 1990). Hopefully they've forgotten about them. I'm told I'm lucky I never got booted; that had to be explained to me as well. The other couple with us bought a "Euro-rail" (I think that's what it was called) pass and took the train everywhere. We wanted to see the countryside; they wanted to travel. Oh, BTW Galvi, is it always windy at Stonehenge?

Lia

Banned
Indeed, our season has been exceptionally cool for the last couple of months. I only got my Jet Skis out once this year. :sad: I only got to open, clean, and close the pool. I never got to use it myself.

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in England and Wales on our late honeymoon. We stayed just off of Knightsbridge (sp?) in a really old hotel that didn't even have an elevator (I was told 'no lift', but didn't know what that meant). :doh: Our hotel was either attached to Herrods or one building away. Anyway, we were within walking distance of most of the sights. Galvi's pics bring back good memories.

Hey Galvi, in downtown London is it still almost impossible to find a place to eat after about 8pm? We had to walk down to the Hard Rock by Hyde Park to eat most nights. Of all things, and I've mentioned this before, we met an American fella who played and sang, impromptu, at the begging of the small crowd there one night. I though he was exceptionally good and that he should have tried to make a living at it. It turns out the guy was Richard Marx.

I'd love to go back again some day. We rented a car and drove everywhere. I still have about a dozen unpaid parking tickets (from 1990). Hopefully they've forgotten about them. I'm told I'm lucky I never got booted; that had to be explained to me as well. The other couple with us bought a "Euro-rail" (I think that's what it was called) pass and took the train everywhere. We wanted to see the countryside; they wanted to travel. Oh, BTW Galvi, is it always windy at Stonehenge?

Knightsbridge was the correct spelling. And, I don't think that Galvi would know this but no, its rarely windy at the Stones. I live close to them. Perhaps you came at the wrong season, or it might have just been one of those weeks, out of character, when it was windy. btw, did you also visit the 'Burial Mounds on Salisbury Plains? Very interesting.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Knightsbridge was the correct spelling. And, I don't think that Galvi would know this but no, its rarely windy at the Stones. I live close to them. Perhaps you came at the wrong season, or it might have just been one of those weeks, out of character, when it was windy. btw, did you also visit the 'Burial Mounds on Salisbury Plains? Very interesting.

No, we didn't go there. I think we went on to Avon (just to say I've been there) and maybe on to the southern part of Wales. We generally just took the M4 (I think that's the number) from London to Wales. I was supposed to spend a semester studying in Camarthen Wales but I was one of those who had their student loans canceled by Reagan. IMHO, Wales was 'prettier', but the people were not nearly as friendly. Hell, in London, if you ran someone off the road in a round-a-bout, they pretty well shouted "Good driving chap!" to you.

Lia

Banned
No, we didn't go there.

Actually, the burial mounds are all around the stones. I think I might have a video or two of them that I took at one time or another, but wouldn't know how to download them to the forum. I have got some stills also, and when I get the time and can find them I'll post them here.

I think we went on to Avon (just to say I've been there)

Ahh, right, well, dozens of towns there, in the county of Avon, and one big city, Bristol. I detest driving in Bristol. They're suicidal b's who drive there. I almost got sideswiped by an Artic-Lorry there once.

...and maybe on to the southern part of Wales. We generally just took the M4 (I think that's the number) from London to Wales. I was supposed to spend a semester studying in Camarthen Wales but I was one of those who had their student loans canceled by Reagan. IMHO, Wales was 'prettier', but the people were not nearly as friendly.

Yes, much of Wales is breathtakingly beautiful. Wales is a 'nation within a nation' really. Their government is not totally independant of the mainland. Yes, it is said that the Welsh have a reputation for being unfriendly, especially to tourist, and will quickly switch to the welsh language in an effort to exclude one. I've only been there twice, and unfortunately, was taken ill very ill both times. Must be the air, or summat... ://

Hell, in London, if you ran someone off the road in a round-a-bout, they pretty well shouted "Good driving chap!" to you.

Are you sure they weren't waving to you with their middle finger? lol. I've never heard of british drivers taking such an atitude. They're are usually more likely to flip one off.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
With your driving one could understand them flipping you off!:w00t2:

Well, after about day 2 of driving in GB, I quit changing lanes; I just conquored another lane. I treated round-a-bouts the same way. Being polite and not forcing the issue gets you nowhere, at least in my experience. I also got tired of motorcycles passing me on the right and left in downtown London where there are stop lights. You'd stop at a light, motorcycles would surround you and completely cut you off to the point that you couldn't make it through the light even if you were the first car in line to start. I suppose it was about day 4 that NO motorcycle passed me on the right side (between me and the curb) coming up to a stop light. They could either ram the side of my rented Fiat Uno or take the curb; the hell with waiting through several green lights to go! Now that did get me some loud babbling of sorts that I couldn't understand. To which I'd memorized "Je ne parle pas anglais" on the flight over. I believe that's French for "I do not speak English". :wink: