• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 1544 on ksl.com

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Not mine, no affiliation....

"Monster" Jeff has listed a Tucker 1544 on ksl.com. Here's a link:
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54170622

It looks like a mid seventies machine and obviously has some custom touches. Looking past the paint, graphics and upholstery I wonder how many hours are on it. The odometer showers 10,652, but is it accurate? For the sake of argument, if you assumed an average speed of 5 MPH, that would work out to 2,130 hours.

The grousers look unusual in that it appears there are sections of flat bar welded to the top of each grouser. I wonder why? The carriers have some Tucker idler wheels and some are R & K branded ones, which was what Tucker used in the early days of rubber belted machines.

In my opinion (disclaimer) Jeff tends to embellish the condition of items he is selling, so anything written, or said, I would employ the strategy of Ronald Reagan "Trust but verify".

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Interesting... My suspicion is that's who Jeff acquired the Tucker from, and the seller hasn't deleted the ad, yet. Note the price difference; Craigslist listing: $18,500, ksl.com listing: $22,900. Jeff lists the location as Bluffdale, which is a suburb of SLC. Duck Creek, the location in the Craigslist ad, is high in the mountains east of Cedar City, UT. At least a four hour drive.

I did note how the engine magically "grew". Craigslist ad says "318 V8 Chrysler", yet Jeff says "Mopar 360 V8".

BTW, the Craigslist ad says "1980 Tucker Sno-Cat". That's not a 1980 machine. I've owned three 1980 Tuckers (two presently) and there are many differences between that machine and all of the 1980s models I've had.

Please don't interpret my somewhat negative comments as reflecting badly on that machine. I haven't seen it in person, and from the photos it looks nicer than the vast majority of the other machines I've seen Jeff list on ksl.com. A 1544 is a nice machine and though I'm biased, I like the four door cab configuration the best.

It seems prices of used snowcats in general have come up a fair bit and right now is peak selling season. One line I use is that the cheapest snowcat is often not the best value. I recently priced/bought some parts from Tucker and parts prices are up substantially as well.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My 73 had 10420 miles and 1309.5 hours so about 8mph average. Original hour meter and the cat made the same trip up and down Mt Greylock it's entire life.

You can see from my thread that this cat was gently used and it needed a lot of table and carrier work. If the cat hasn't been rebuilt yet it will need it.

Intetesting grousers on it and the gauges have been replaced it looks like.