• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1999 Merc Sabel continuing electrical problem

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
It must have been a year ago by now I reported the crazy ass shit this car did. (Wipers turning on - speedometer working and not - head lights staying on with the switch turned off.)

All has been fine since I pulled out the fuse that controlled "DAY TIME Running Lights." That is a circuit turns on the headlights during the day - even if the dash switch is off. That worked well.

Until now.

Well, Friday the 25 was another incident. I ran out of beer - and got a sober driver (not Diana) to drive me and my car to the beer store. It was dark out.
NO freaking headlights. ( they sure worked for a year) So, it's like ok - park it - can't drive it. Then with the parking/headlight switch turned off and the key out of the ignition - the parking lights stay on. GGGGRRRRR.

I had to disconnect the battery. The next day, I take my car to the shop - where I have test equipment - Like a simple fuse tester. You clamp one end on the negative post of the battery, and use the sharp end to check for conductivity. A light bulb in the tester lights up. I found 2 fuses blown. a large 40 AMP and a mini 15 amp. Now this is were we enter the twilte zone. I Pulled every damn fuse - in that car to get the parking lights to turn off to ZERO Avail!

Then I started un-plugging relays. I finally unplugged the relay that shut off the freaking parking lights.

Next - I went to Oriely <-- you know what I mean- Auto Parts. Got two new fuses - and a new relay. Didn't want to look like an ass and install them in the parking lot there - so I went back to the shop to put them in.

Plugged everything in and everything worked!

But as I was pulling out of the shop's driveway and heading down the highway - SMOKE was pouring out from under the hood. My heart was racing, and I thought I was gonna be one of them people that sit and watch their car catch on fire on the side of the road!!!!

I pull over on the side of the highway - Open the hood - No additional smoke. HMMMMM. I watch several cars go past me and no one stops.

OK... time to start it up... I do.. and I back up 50 FT to the driveway I left from. Park in an area that I think is safe - that if the thing catches fire won't spread.

No additional smoke. So at this point I just want to get home. I grabbed a large pair of side cutters - just incase I have to cut a battery cable.

The next day I found that the 40 AMP fuse is blown again.

Apparently whatever that fuse is hooked up to is the problem.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like furd technology at its finest!!! JK

That's the thing with vehicles nowdays. You try and keep them past the warranty period and you almost have to be a computer tech/electrician just to work on them.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I found out that the 40 amp fuse is for the motor that runs one of the cooling fans behind the radiator. That motor is what "smoked" I find it odd and strange that the fuse would let it heat up so much. But then I need to mention that the auto parts store was out of regular fuses - and I had to purchase a "smart fuse" A smart fuse dosen't BLOW like a real fuse LOL!!!
A real fuse CUTS the circuit. A smart fuse still provides power to the circuit.
I'll never buy one of them damn things again.

So as of now - I'm running the car - and no problems.
(other than losing a cooling fan)