• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What's the right age for a kid to have a cell phone?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Grizzer :)
I'd say 13 is a little young, but I know she wants to be part of the in crowd.
Seems like every kid you look at nowdays are on the cell, standing there texting or with a phone to their ear.
It's almost become ridiculous.
I went to my niece's choir concert last week, and there were a line of girls sitting there in the front row, cell phones in hand, texting.
If I had a daughter, she wouldn't have one until she was either 16, and/or had a job.
Why does a 13 year old need a cell phone for anyway??
Just my opinion dear :)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My feeling is when they can afford to pay the bills.

That said my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and needs insulin injections 4 to 5 times a day so I bought one for her. She does not abuse her phone. She is 12. Her school does not allow the phone to be "on" at school. I have an arrangement with the principle for her to have the phone, she is allowed to call me from the nurse's office.

My daughter has a 13 year old friend who spent the night last night, at midnight she was on her cell phone with a boy (who was on his cell phone). Today she told me that her cell phone & charger is kept in her bedroom and she often makes calls to her friends late at night.

My niece is 13 and has a cell phone. My brother told me that "texting" caused their cell phone bill to 'explode' and he had to upgrade his daughter to an 'unlimited' plan. You pay for both outbound & inbound text messages. He could control his daughter's outgoing text messages but not the inbound messages.

When I got my daughter her phone I put the charger in our "mud room" and made a rule that the phone doesn't go into her bedroom.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My feeling is when they can afford to pay the bills.

That said my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and needs insulin injections 4 to 5 times a day so I bought one for her.

Yes when they can afford it on their own. There is exceptions such as in Bob's case. When our oldest daughter was 16 and our second daughter was 14 we got one for them to share. Our youngest would use at school functions to call us to come and pick her up. The oldest because her car was not the best she has it with her with the car.

murph

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
That said my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and needs insulin injections 4 to 5 times a day so I bought one for her. She does not abuse her phone. She is 12. Her school does not allow the phone to be "on" at school. I have an arrangement with the principle for her to have the phone, she is allowed to call me from the nurse's office.

Bob ,I think your situation is the exception to the standard rule . Of course Mary Ellen should have one .

Anyone else can have one when they move out and pay their own way .

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Emergency situations, of course make sense.
For a kid to have one just because everyone else does so they can be part of the crowd, I wouldn't go along with-not at such a young age.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Perhaps at the same age that you are willing to allow the child to go on an unsupervised date.

Cityboy

Banned
Both my kids have them, ages 12 & 16.

Why? So the family can communicate when necessary. Things happen fast in the world today and I want the ability to communicate with my family immediately if I so need or desire.

They both know better than to use them for any other purpose than family to family communication, and mobile to mobile calling is free on our plan.

So I'd say it depends on the reason for the phone. Bullshitting with friends is not a reason I would pay for.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I got one for my 6yr old niece a few months back. Showed her how to dial (ain't that obsolete!) 911.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
How did we all survive childhood without cellphones?
How did we all survive childhood without a lot of things kids have these days?
Oh silly me, of course- those were simpler times.
We actually played outside, got exercise-ate relatively healthy (remember when treats and going to McDonald's for dinner was a rare thing? I do)
It was cool to have a certain type of bike for example.

Getting back to the matter at hand.
If a young kid wants a cell phone for emergencies, of course it's a good idea.
They are a Godsend for that purpose only.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is a phone called the FIREFLY that is designed SPECIFICALLY for young kids. No texting abilities. It has a 20 number memory, and a pictogram button set with a MOM button and a DAD button. I gave her the "original" Firefly.

I bought one for my niece a couple years ago (after clearing it with my brother & his wife). It worked out well for her for a while, but it did not have the "cool" factor of the flip phones, nor the expense, nor the features like "texting." It is a good "safety" phone. It also prevents callers from calling the phone unless the parent programs the phone to accept calls from a number that is in the authorized phone list. The parents MUST program the phone before giving it to the child, but if the phone is a "lifeline" type phone, its great. If the phone is a gift so the kid can be "cool at school" then it is not the phone the child will want.

They have recently expanded their product line so now they have a few different options. One thing I like about the Firefly phones is they are a pay as you go, no contract phone. It can teach the child how to budget without saddling the parents with a contract. They now have Firefly phones with built in MP3 players, texting, etc. Still a good option.

http://www.fireflymobile.com/

In the case of my daughter, I simply gave her one of my corporate telephones because it was easiest for me to do it that way. If I did not have a bunch of other phones under a corporate rate contract, I probably would have given my daughter a Firefly phone.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember when I was very young, using my granny's outhouse in southern Indiana.
Fun times! lol

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
This thread suddenly seems to be heading for the...well, you know...:toilet:
Thanks, REDDOG. :pirate:

:yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
^ I see you've got all the necessary equipment there to keep it and yourself sanitary.
The one I used as a kid, looked much like this.
It had spiders in it, and we had to use a flash light- eeeeek
My Granparents got indoor plumbing in the mid 60s.

Attachments

• 24831744_a1de357be5.jpg
    24831744_a1de357be5.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 68

Gatorboy

If a young kid wants a cell phone for emergencies, of course it's a good idea.

That's just an answer to help convince yourself to buy one. If an emergency arises, there are plenty of people around with a cell phone, or a house nearby to use their phone, etc.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That's just an answer to help convince yourself to buy one. If an emergency arises, there are plenty of people around with a cell phone, or a house nearby to use their phone, etc.
Tell a child who gets abducted by some pervert that.
Or a kid who gets beat to a pulp by a bully and left alone crying.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
How did we all survive childhood without cellphones?

GB, By today's yardstick, How did we all survive childhood at all?

bacon, seat belts, rare burgers, fries, car seats, candy bars, Hohos, BB guns, pea shooters etc etc