• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Artesian Well Help

79bombi

Site Supporter
I am remodeling a rental home that has an artesian well. I have a puddle of water in the gravel near the well when I dig down a couple of inches after it has been dry for a while. I thought it might be the unconnected tap the county put in this summer but the water tested negative for chlorine. So I thought the well might be leaking then someone suggested there might be overflow from the well. Sure enough it is artesian. I dug up around the conduit coming out of the top and it is just electric.

Anyone think the artesian overflow is underground below the well surface? If so I might try to pipe it away from the house.

gibbswell001.jpg

gibbswell002.jpg

gibbswell003.jpg

Trakternut

I would certainly pipe it away. Ground water with that kind of pressure can destroy foundations and surface concrete, as well as create a wet mess. By draining it away, you're giving that water a place to go, preserving what's nearby the well.

79bombi

Site Supporter
What I don't know if the water is coming out of an overflow vent below ground. The conduit coming out of the top only has the electric line coming out of it. I am considering digging down farther to see if I can find a overflow vent.

Trakternut

You have a submersible pump, meaning that the actual pump is down at the bottom of the well. The conduit you see is carrying the power wires down there to run the pump, most likely.
Is there a lot of "groundwater" in the area? This is water that occurs naturally in the ground ( go figure, huh? :doh:) and it migrates around through veins of gravel, sand, or loose clay. If you've had a lot of rain, you'll have more ground water because of runoff water soaking in. That stuff is always looking for a place to go. You've probably got a rusty conduit, which is allowing groundwater to enter the conduit pipe and rise to the surface. I'm betting that if you pulled your well, you'd find the water level in the well itself to be higher than normal.
Just guesses, somewhat educated.

79bombi

Site Supporter
You have a submersible pump, meaning that the actual pump is down at the bottom of the well. The conduit you see is carrying the power wires down there to run the pump, most likely.
Is there a lot of "groundwater" in the area? This is water that occurs naturally in the ground ( go figure, huh? :doh:) and it migrates around through veins of gravel, sand, or loose clay. If you've had a lot of rain, you'll have more ground water because of runoff water soaking in. That stuff is always looking for a place to go. You've probably got a rusty conduit, which is allowing groundwater to enter the conduit pipe and rise to the surface. I'm betting that if you pulled your well, you'd find the water level in the well itself to be higher than normal.
Just guesses, somewhat educated.

I have uncovered the conduit where it goes into the ground and stops leaving the bare cable. There is no water coming out. What caught my attention originally was the ground was wet after 2 weeks of very dry weather and the surrounding area was dry.

79bombi

Site Supporter
Do you mean the 135 gas station? The Twila who had the catering company with her sister? There are very few places in this county that I have not eaten.

79bombi

79bombi

Site Supporter
So..... whatever happened to the well? :unsure:

I need to dig up the casing to see if it is leaking where the water comes out. If it is not leaking then I need to put a drain in to get the water away from the house. This project has been delayed as I am constructing a timber frame woodshed that is taking longer than expected to erect. Pics coming soon on that project.

wolfman

My guess would be a leak in the pipe from the pump to the house, probably in the fittings close to the point where the water line goes through the casing. A pin hole is all it would take to keep the ground wet.