• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB Tucker 1644 Cab or parts machine with cab

Archmage

I have a Tucker 1642 and would like to turn into a 4 door, so we can take the whole family comfortably. I am open to suggestions if anybody has ideas, thoughts, or knows of anything that can help. I am located in the middle of Colorado, but don't mind traveling for the right parts or paying shipping.

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
welcome to the forum!

There is a guy on here named Blackfoot Tucker. Check out some of his older post. He recabbed a machine and did a phenomenal job!

Archmage

I am located in north west Eagle County. We have large cattle ranch that I like to cruise around on in the winter. I would like to fab a extension but do not have a lot of experience with sheet metal. If I could find somebody to that would build one in Colorado I would be very interested. I had thought about cutting the back wall off and ordering doors from tucker or finding some used ones. I want it to look as close to factory as possible.

Here is a photo of my machine from a couple years ago. Currently I am rebuilding some of the idlers and tracks. It runs like a top though.
840 some hours I believe. My family purchased it new from Tucker back in

Attachments

• Tucker.jpg
    Tucker.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 381

teamster

I cut the cab off of my 1642 to build my custom cab. Check out "100 Mile Tucker Modifications" I have the part of the cab and the 2 doors, less the door handles. The cab has the rear window in it and both doors have sliding windows. I'll give you any or all of it if it will help you out and if we can get it from Alberta to you. I gave a fellow near Denver the aluminum cleats of my Thiokol and I think the freight cost him $400. I can take photos if you want. Let me know if it will work for you. The engine hood is there as well if anyone wants it.

Archmage

Yes, We have lots of private land backing up to the flattops. I would like to make some friends with other cat owners and possibly go out for a nice day of Tuckering... :w00t2:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Arch, (Can I call you Arch?)

First, welcome to the forum!

In my opinion cab conversions run the gamut from beautiful custom creations, with limo-like interiors, to scabbed together Bubba and Billy Bob hack jobs. The machine my snowcat buddy and I re-cabbed was converted from a 1642 to a 1643. We tried to follow the basic Tucker design, though with improvements to enhance comfort and functionality. The basic fabrication is not particularly difficult, but it is very time intensive to get everything right without "cheaping out" or taking shortcuts. I'd estimate we had at least 200 hours in the cab conversion alone.

My honest opinion is you'd probably be ahead by trading your 1642 in on a nice 1644. Right now, the only used 1644 I'm aware of is at the Tucker factory. It's a 1980 model, 318/5-speed that was owned by an electric utility in Montrose, CO. That said, your 1984 model has some design improvements that are, in my opinion, more desirable than what came on the 1980 versions. Specifically your carriers have damper wheels in lieu of the hyfax and bracket system, and you have a tilting hood instead of the butterfly style used in 1980. Perhaps you could work a deal whereby those parts would be swapped? Either way, I'd highly recommend you call Jeff Godard at Tucker to see what that would cost.

That number gives you a baseline to compare against the cost of having your machine converted. Based on personal experience, there's quite a bit to it. You remove the roof and bed and basically cut off the cab behind the front seats. You'll have to build the cab structure and a new roof, including some type of roll bar for protection, as well as supports for the floor, and a new floor for additional cab area. You'll have to shorten the bed, and sideboards as well. As the owner of a 1644, and as a guy who's 6'4", I'd suggest making the cab 6" longer than stock so rear passengers have some legroom. That means either shortening the bed that much more, or stretching the frame. That's really not that big of a deal (we've done it), however it also entails getting the rear driveshaft re-tubed and lengthening the rear steering arm, in addition to some minor fuel line and wiring modifications.

But you're not done. After the cab and bed mods are finished you'll need to get it painted, and it's likely you'll decide to get the whole cat painted so it all looks the same. I seriously doubt you'll be able to match either the seats or the upholstery, so you may end up replacing the front seats as well (maybe new seat mounts in front, too) and get it completely reupholstered. I think you could easily spend $10K by the time you're done, assuming you do a first class job.

Archmage

I am currently working on my under carriage at this time. After I get it put back together I will take some more pictures. I am very interested to see what this cat would be worth compared to the 30k asking price for the 1644 at Tucker. What can I say, the old saying a day late and a dollar short. If I would of know this Tucker was in Montrose, I would of bought it there. But I do not believe that machine is work 30k and after talking to tucker they say it needs at least 5k in undercarriage repairs to be pristine. Anyway I would like to get a decent Idea of what mine is worth before I jump into anything. Thanks for the info everybody!!!

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
I was just thinking the same thing!! One, I can't believe that machine came from Montrose! That's my stomping grounds! Two, an extremely nice 1744 just sold here for less than that. I'd imagine you could do much better than Tucker's price.

I will say this.... Finding what you want may not happen fast. What you pay for at the higher end places is getting the machine you want right now. I looked two years for the machine I wanted and never did find it. I admit I am kind of picky and I wanted a blade which significantly complicates the search. I finally had to have someone build it for me!

Archmage

I called and they said they got out building cabs.... I wish somebody would just sell me a decent 1644... already.... :)