• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is that what you think of us Preppers?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A friend stopped by this last saturday while I was puting away 5 cases of emergency water, he said "I did'nt know you were one of those types"
"one of what types" I retorted
Those survivalist
I explained that I was more like a boy scout, not a survivalist, but that did not change the distaste he had for me at that moment.
He went on to say how we were first hand evidence of how society was breaking down and that our efforts only feed mass hystaria and even that our stock piling should be outlawed.
He went on and on about how we profit from the suffering of others
At that point I interupted him and voice a strong objection.
He says, you got weapons do'nt you?
I said yes but that did not mean that I was going to use them on poor suffering citizens.
He said defending my stock pile of goodies while others went without was just as bad as using the weapons to take what others had.
At that point I told him he had best change the subject.

It makes me wonder if others view our activities in the same light.
I want to clarify, for those whom may think that way and are willing to read this long post
I would give, donate and share my last bit of food and last drop of water with Anyone who needed or wanted it period
The weapons are for use in the event that thee is anyone who thinks that an emergency situation is license to loot rape plunde pillage and intimidate
As a last note. my friend is no longer that.
But I will still give him food or water or shelter if need be.
Tweeker

This is the classic grasshopper and ant story.

Like many here who have prepared, I have met a few like your friend. The left has Hollywood doing reality shows about extreme preppers. It is anatempt to mock them and it makes guys like you friend here feel better about their inability to be responsible for their own future. Hewould trrust the government over common sense and what instinct tells us.

Given the economic situation most Americans are in; ie; Job and income insecurity, shrinking of their accumulated wealth, and thefragility of our food distribution system, it is wise to stock up a bit for the possible lean times.

Not the end of times scenarios but the lean times. Which at least one in six Americans are now facing first hand.

Your friend would have you believe the government is there for you. When the SHTF, the government will be there most certainly, exercising it's right to self preservation by taking what it deems neccesary for it's survival.

It could mean your property

It could mean your livelihood.

It could mean you stash of food and supplies.

It could mean your life.

But they will take it. And give the proceeds to your grasshopper friend in exchange for his support.

Best advice, teach your progeney to be like the ant, put stuff away, including a value system that recognizes the differences between responsiible neighbors and grasshoppers.

I was once asked why I bought my 8 year old granddaughter a BB gun. "To teach her to properly and safely operate a firearm." was my response.

The questioner continued, "That's sillly. We don't need to hunt for food anymore, we are not gatherers but farmers. What in these days of plenty do you teach her to shoot at."

Ignoring his lousy syntax, my response was simple and direct "Grasshoppers."

Last edited:

Tweeker

Last Friday at 6:30 a storm when through my area that knocked power out for every town in every direction within 50 miles from me. No power no where. I have never ever seen that happen before. Gas and ice were in short supply. Everyone needed gas for their generators and needed ice to save perishibles when you could not run the generator 24 x 7 due to the gas shortage. One major gas station has back up power. I know folks who where in line for 8 hours and another for 4 hours. The line was over a mile long to get into the station. Everyone was well behaved from what I've heard.

Power came back on within 48 hours for some, but we still had long gas lines and no ice. The ice plant was out of power until yesterday. Some ice was trucked in but was gone in short order. Everyone wanted ice. I could relate. I had gasoline but needed ice.

I had not considered how important ice could be. I plan to look into getting a mini ice maker for personal needs. While my fridge can make ice I could not run the generator long enough to make ice of any count. I heard of some ice makers that can turn out ice much quicker than my fridge ice maker can.

While this was not a SHTF scenario, power outages which cover a large area can cripple a community. I suspect if your ex friend lived in this area and experienced what my community just went through he might change his tune.

Sounds like you got hit with a real whopper, I am glad that everyone was civil, it shows how well a community can cope when they work together without the interference from the Government. I had not thought about the importance of ice and just considered that my frozen stuff would become dog food in such an event.
Wish I was there to help
I recall that back in the 1940's there was a cooler or ice maker that operated on the heat from a coal fire, it was a small item which was primarily for camping.
I have not been able to track one down or find out how it works.
Tweeker

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I recall that back in the 1940's there was a cooler or ice maker that operated on the heat from a coal fire, it was a small item which was primarily for camping.
I have not been able to track one down or find out how it works.
Tweeker
They worked the same way a propane one works. Their refrigerant system uses ammonia and a small amount of heat warms the gas enough to make it flow and cool. Most all campers use propane or a small electric coil for a heat source.

Tweeker

They worked the same way a propane one works. Their refrigerant system uses ammonia and a small amount of heat warms the gas enough to make it flow and cool. Most all campers use propane or a small electric coil for a heat source.

Nice, thanx for the info
Tweeker

Tweeker

Just fine, working on the house today, wall prep and painting.
Its overcast but By God were still going to BBQ. :hammer:
Tweeker

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
Just fine, working on the house today, wall prep and painting.
Its overcast but By God were still going to BBQ. :hammer:
Tweeker

rock on! have a great 4th, tweek! u should post ur food in the food forum!:biggrin: i wanna see it!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If it ever came to a SHTF scenario I would be real quick to make sure this old gal is well taken care of. She makes do pretty well for her age and always makes me treats like the deviled eggs she just sent up! I take her the eggs and fruit etc. and she turns them into goodies.:clap: She wants a pickup load of mulch so as soon as the temps drop a little I need to get on it.

Attachments

• karens 002 (600 x 450).jpg
    karens 002 (600 x 450).jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 152

Tweeker

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, my EX-Friend, whom we shall call Jack, stopped by again today and wanted to enumerate on his position about preppers in light of this recent incident in Colorado.
I told him that he was severly uninformed and suggested that he check out this site, to see what good people who prep are all about.
So Jack, this ones for you.
One of these photos is what people who prep are all about.
the other is what people like the Jack Ass in Colorado are all about.
You figure out which is which, after you do, call me. :yum:
Tweeker

Attachments

• food-stockpile-by-jesse-michael-nix.jpg
    food-stockpile-by-jesse-michael-nix.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 207
  • gun-stockpile.jpg
    gun-stockpile.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 264

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Most can goods will last a few years at worse and longer at best, dried beans, pastas etc will also hold up.. Many things like cooking oils etc will keep for decades if stored properly in cool dry dark locations. Also food like I buy, gourmet MRE will keep for longer than I will live even if I lived till 100.

Now I agree with you for the most part but also prepareness requires some means of keeping what you have especially if sociatity crashes around you. Not the picture of the safe full of guns is a bit over kill to say the least. I suggest 2 high powered hunting rifles suitable for large game in your area, 2 shot guns ga you are comfortable with for smaller game and self defense, a pair of hand guns larger calibers such as 45 Colt, 45 ACP and up as well as a couple of smaller calibers 22LR to 32 for varmint and small game guns. Now I say 2 of each all same calibers due to possible failure with a backup. Same caliber and common ones at that due to the possible need to find ammo eventually. I also suggest a number of hunting knives and good set of kitchen cutlery as well as a good sharpening kit. I also suggest a good hand press such as the Lee though others out there for sure for making ammo with in a bind. Learn to make black powder so pick calibers such as older ones that can shoot it as well as guns. Also get guns easy to repair, learn to do it and get extra parts that break. Black powder is fairly easy to make but somewhat dangerous however when the SHTF life will be meaningless to many out there roaming that are left so everyone will be forced to accept a bit more danger in their lives. So food and protection are really 2 sides of the same coin as having one and not the other won't mean much.

Tweeker

I agree with you Joe, I have what I consider ample weapons and ammunition should the Zombies from L.A. head this way, I am also quite connected with local law enforcment, both of which I consider to be essential.
Tweeker

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Man I hope you got at least half a beef ground and froze for all that helper. Where is the tuna and Spam?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Now if the SHTF for real then I wouldn't depend on LAWS except those of nature, survival of the fittest. I also wouldn't stockpile lighters, matches other than short term supplies of them. I would forget about modern technological things like phones, electricity, running water as well as fossil fuels. Though many of these things may last a short while in comparison as to how long it will take the world to come back (think centuries if at all) these items will become useless as well gold, silver and other means of barter. Clothing, foods and weapons will become the driving force. I suggest learning to make a fire without these modern items (matches and lighters) and they sell bunches of fire starter kits used centuries ago that work fine.

Law and order is the first thing to go when and if it all falls down, I've seen it else where in my life on a smaller scale but if it happens now it will be world wide in my opinion. I'm hoping it won't but also believe in being prepared if possible for at least the rest of my life.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
how u gonna cook, then.......
i was a girl scout. they made us learn nature. half my friends prefer camping/nature. others, weapons. i have flints & zippos from my Pap's era. not to mention a few other things. wisdom passed on is only 1 of 'em.

Tweeker

Man I hope you got at least half a beef ground and froze for all that helper. Where is the tuna and Spam?

This is not a photo of my stock, My wife won't let me eat Hamburger helper. :sad:
I borrowed these photos from the internet just to make a point.
I do not and never will need as many weapons and ammo as are seen in the second photo. :glare:
Tweeker

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
i was a girl scout. they made us learn nature. half my friends prefer camping/nature. others, weapons. i have flints & zippos from my Pap's era. not to mention a few other things. wisdom passed on is only 1 of 'em.
Weapons.
I'd recommend a ss9mm.jpg

:brows:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter

Well man cooked for thousands of years without matches, zippos etc. Lots of ways to start a fire with stones, sticks etc. Once the fire is started you can cook on it. Now it may not be what you are use to eating with nice gravies, and the fancier foods but it will keep one alive.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
joe, i know that, geez. this isn't castaway. i think it's great to keep these items. if i can't use them, i can't use 'em. so be it.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
joe, i know that, geez. this isn't castaway. i think it's great to keep these items. if i can't use them, i can't use 'em. so be it.

The point I was making luvs is these things only last so long and at your age you will live probably longer than those items will meaning you will need to plan on other methods if not sooner then later.

For example I have an old method use in the 1800 when even then matches was hard to come by. It will start a fire pretty quick using flint and a stone. Now the piece of flint would last me a life time however probably not someone in their 40 or below. I still have a second piece of flint to go with it and fits nicely in ones pocket if needed. I've had it for years as matches get wet as do lighters and once water gets them they don't work. Disposable lighters in direct sun light can die in a couple of weeks used or not, as the butane will evaporate right out of the sealed plastic cases. I've had it happen to me in indirect sun light though it takes a bit longer it happens.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
The point I was making luvs is these things only last so long and at your age you will live probably longer than those items

shouldn't make these assumptions. people can pass @ any time. i get ur point. i got it ages ago. i know how to live via the land & how to contend w/ the elements. my Grandpa & life taught me well. i know how to run, fight circumstances like u dunno,..... too many ppl severely underestimate others sometimes.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, my EX-Friend, whom we shall call Jack, stopped by again today and wanted to enumerate on his position about preppers in light of this recent incident in Colorado.
I told him that he was severly uninformed and suggested that he check out this site, to see what good people who prep are all about.
So Jack, this ones for you.
One of these photos is what people who prep are all about.
the other is what people like the Jack Ass in Colorado are all about.
You figure out which is which, after you do, call me. :yum:
Tweeker

Goode Preppers are ready for more than TSHTF. There is the possibility of complete civil breakdown yes. But more likely is the possibility of a natural disaster interupting the flow of goods and services to areas. Can you say Katrina? Can you say Tsunami?

Prepers are ready for the calamity of a natural disaster more than WTSHTF. At the point of civilization breaking down, one can hope an armory will protect and feed them but that is a faint false one. Food and supplies will be of far greater value than 20,000 rounds for the AR-15.

Most supplies will last damm near forever. Things you wouldn't think about perhaps. But, when the local Kroger chain is gone,,,,,there will be a cold shocking reminder for lightbulbs, Toilet paper, soap, cooking oils, candles, kerosene, paper towels, cloth towels, plastic food wraps, mason jars, aspirin, medicines, bandages, isopropyl Alchohol, aliminum foil, Salt, nails, tarps,,,,,,,,,,on and on. None of these things are perishable. Almost all are important for the ongoing processes of living.

Even if your plan is to be a hunter gatherer.

Food for six months, tools and supplies for 6 years. Same shelf life. Both important.

Be ready. Be well.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i must agree, franc. i'm prepped to bolt either way. i've gone sans h2o due to main breaks. well prepped 4 those. already located the storm cellars i'd get to quickly. & i've got all these rain boots fer a reason.
we need non-perishables- not just food- i began stocking those quite awhile ago. my best friend would be a crowbar & a knife if it gets to that. i tend not to get an item that won't last thru a planned attack or a natural occurence, both.
think soap. detergent. razors. simple items like a hairbush & good scissors, unless ur a hippie. & the things on franc's list.
when/if the food is gone, u'd damn well better know how to identify an edible plant & where to find 'em, take a deer or wabbit or other animal that u can make dinner from w/ a weapon appropriate to the animal, & skin/gut it (hence, get a good knife & learn to use it), & have fishing skills.
canned soup won't save u. knowledge & skills'll save u.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Goode Preppers are ready for more than TSHTF. There is the possibility of complete civil breakdown yes. But more likely is the possibility of a natural disaster interupting the flow of goods and services to areas. Can you say Katrina? Can you say Tsunami?

Prepers are ready for the calamity of a natural disaster more than WTSHTF. At the point of civilization breaking down, one can hope an armory will protect and feed them but that is a faint false one. Food and supplies will be of far greater value than 20,000 rounds for the AR-15.

Most supplies will last damm near forever. Things you wouldn't think about perhaps. But, when the local Kroger chain is gone,,,,,there will be a cold shocking reminder for lightbulbs, Toilet paper, soap, cooking oils, candles, kerosene, paper towels, cloth towels, plastic food wraps, mason jars, aspirin, medicines, bandages, isopropyl Alchohol, aliminum foil, Salt, nails, tarps,,,,,,,,,,on and on. None of these things are perishable. Almost all are important for the ongoing processes of living.

Even if your plan is to be a hunter gatherer.

Food for six months, tools and supplies for 6 years. Same shelf life. Both important.

Be ready. Be well.

That is so true which is the need to keep some short term (about 3 months). I know based on going through Hurricane Andrew and losing every thing I owned. Luckily we didn't lose our lives as some did. It was a week before the national guard showed, a week with very limited medical care, no electricity, water or phone service for 3 to 9 months depending on in Homestead or on the fringe. Looting started and soon ended due to those that own something there. The LEO where useless and overwhelmed like every one else for the most part and was rarely seen at all till the national guard showed up.

We had water, canned goods and I took the small propane stove out of what was left of my place as well as 6 propane tanks so we could heat canned foods up at least. It took my wife and I 9 months to find a place to rent 100 miles for either of our jobs which luckily we still had as they where south and north of the storm.