• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for a good "Camper Cat"

A PB300, 260, or BR400, can easily take a camper. I have hauled many heavy loads on the rear deck, and just look at any catskiing outfit, they are carrying 3500+ lb on the rear. Same for towing I have hauled 20,000 lb. plus loads with three cats hooked up, and smaller loads on small trailers, and it is a pain unless you have a second cat to assist on the corners. I would stay away from a Tucker on the BC coast. You will need a BR, or PB to build road before a Tucker can make it where you want to go on the coast after a big dump. Ideally you want to look for a winch cat, the winches are roughly 3500 lb. so a camper will be easy for them, and they have beefier suspension . I am a big fan of the BR's, as they are easier to get parts at any hydraulic shop, or heavy truck shop. The PB's can be a little harder, but there are dealer in Kelowna, and Calgary that stock most. The PB's deck is set up better and will be easier to install a camper, and the deck is already set with a deck lift cylinder.
Again, stay away from a Tucker, if you are playing on the Duffy, or up at the meadows you want a BR, or PB.

Yeah, I'm always amazed when I see the cat skiing setups with 10 people in the huge cab way up high. That's gotta be over the payload of a PB300 for example (3500 lbs from what I've read) So it seems possible. Maybe a floating subframe on drop out springs like these overlander guys do on the Fuso campers:

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/off-road/extreme-rigs/the-overland-fuso-truck-camper/

I'm interested in a BR too, I don't move around that much. Last year it was one trip up and two months later, one trip down. This year, likely a bit more moving around with the "Mountain Ranger's" on my tail. Yee haw

Not to push the pop-up overly hard, but -- How about an Alaskan Camper? Warm, but with much lower center of gravity. Either bed mounted or put some skis or tracks under it? I'm just having a hard time seeing a Chinook on the back of PB300. I suspect the weight distribution is just too far to the rear.

Didn't know they had hard sides. That could work, sound like they're good and warm. Pretty small tho, wouldn't be able to have a cab over bed

rodre

Conservation Officer hassling you for having a camp for 2 months and then chasing you around reminds me of those old Kokanee beer commercials - I swear only in BC...

I think the low center of gravity is important to be able to climb grade so you probably wouldn't want it to be too high.