• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Trailer Suspension

akmountaineer

I just bought a Thiokol tilt trailer, and as I was driving away, I noticed the driver's side front tire was intermittently losing contact with the ground. An inspection of the suspension revealed why. The spring mount is actually contacting the frame and making a large dent. Any ideas on the cause of this?

Attachments

• 20160504_175840.jpg
    20160504_175840.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 217

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Someone probably picked the rear of the trailer up with forklift and the rear axle dropped causing the front to get stuck over center. Use a big pry bar in between the frame and spring to get it back on the correct side. Could also put a jack under the front of the rear spring and lift it up until in comes free, might have to 'bounce' on the trailer to un-stick it.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This happens often with three axle trailers too. I weld a tubing stop above the spring eye which limits the travel of the spring and thus the walking beam to prevent the over center situation. Be sure you have the shackles in the correct position first.

akmountaineer

Thanks for the input everybody. It's nice to know that it's an easy fix for a change. I would have thought that bouncing down the road would be enough to reset and balance the suspension for the two axles, but I guess once it gets so far off it just gets stuck.