• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi Muskeg Carrier front diff and susp

CASNOW40

Hi all, I have a muskeg carrier that was a previous drill rig. I am wanting to repair and fix it up to working order. I took the cab off and just got the tracks off which will need to be replaced. I need help identifying the year and possibly any info I can. I am about to take the front diff top cover off and check the carnage!:unsure: I would also like to have a service and repair manual or copys of one for the fix. I am mechanically inclined and just need some experts advice please.
Thanks to all!

mud cat.jpg

mud cat 1.jpg

mud cat 2.jpg

mud cat 3.jpg

mud cat 4.jpg

mud cat 5.jpg

mud cat 6.jpg

mud cat 7.jpg

mud cat 8.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Your pics are all thumbnails. Folks won't be able to help much without full size pics.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the tag may be gone but if you had the serial numbers the fourth and fifth digit is the year. Also on the front of the machine on the bumper on the flat
Right infront of the track left side standing infront the serial should be stamped may be under many coats of paint though about 1/2" letters

If you need any parts for it we stock most www.mn-outdoors.com

CASNOW40

this should work

Attachments

• mud cat 1.jpg
    mud cat 1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 538
  • mud cat 5.jpg
    mud cat 5.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 548
  • mud cat 7.jpg
    mud cat 7.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 561
  • mud cat 8.jpg
    mud cat 8.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 541

CASNOW40

Any help on the info for the wheels being different, some have a bolt together wheel and some dont. and info on taking the sprockets off for repairs.
Thanks all

Attachments

• mud cat 12.jpg
    mud cat 12.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 523
  • mud cat 11.jpg
    mud cat 11.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 525
  • mud cat 9.jpg
    mud cat 9.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 614
  • mud cat 10.jpg
    mud cat 10.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 551

CASNOW40

im not too worried about the diff. I think with some good solid cleaning it would look real nice! All of the rusty stuff is just a kind of silt almost. it just wipes right off! Any objections to this?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is much better. Folks can see what you have now. There are a bunch of Bombi people here.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, you would want to put the solid wheels at the back if they are not there now Because a flat there is is not good.

It would be good to put any more solids you have right behind the sprockets
They take a lot of the abuse. Air tires In between are fine or get them filled
With tire fill.

Your diff has some wear on the internal pinions they may make some noise but will work, as long as all the others gears have all there teeth.

To remove the front sprocket hubs you need to pull the tracks off but not the outer rail just take the four bolts on the outer half moon plate out rotate it up and it will clear the rail. Behind the round end plate with six bolts it the end of the axle pull this out. There may be round disc with a nut and two holes this is attached to the axle by a pull rod this will all come out you may have to wiggle it
And remove a snap or round wire keeper before hand

CASNOW40

I cant find any info on the muskeg for a serial number or makers tag. Do you know the approximate year maybe? Also a buddy of mine has an older muskeg from the mid 60s and his engine is rear-facing. Why did they change this? and also should I reverse mine or leave it the way it is? My plans are to use either a 6 cyl perkins diesel or a sbc 350 tbi any thoughts?. I also need the specs on the tracks for it so i can get the belts. length width holes. and suppliers for the belts that i need. Most of my grousers are ok but many will need to be replaced.. i have another set tracks i can use..
thanks all

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Bombardier made both a Carrier like you have and a center engine Tractor. Personally I prefer the Tractor stye because it's easier to get to the diff but you lose deck space on the rear, hence the name Carrier for the front engine model. Weather you change it, depends on your intended use.
Here's a link to the Carrier and if you navigate around that site, you'll find the Tractor.
http://www.safetyoneinc.com/specsheets/bombi.muskplus.1.html

mn-outdoors.com has the parts you need. Thier banner is sometimes at the top of the page.
We love pictures ! Would love to see and hear how you're doing with the project. There are several rebuilds of Muskegs on this site if you use the search.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Pixie you forgot the jimmy skidder front mounted engine with center mounted operators station,winch in the rear and a blade in the front. powered by a 3 -53 detroit diesel

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
You're right, Don.... I never remember that one because it's fairly rare.
Seen a 4-53 in them, too...

CASNOW40

I have some more pics of the parts machines and the parts,(drive sprockets, boggies,etc..) This appears to be a 5 man cab i think? is it a muskeg? Also, I am sealing up my diff and have a buddy with one that said to run a mineral gear oil in the diff because it wont mix with water if it gets in there and will work as a gear oil also. Any thoughts??
The first pics are of the spare drive sprockets. Do you guys think these are usable?

Attachments

• muskeg7.jpg
    muskeg7.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 448
  • muskeg8.jpg
    muskeg8.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 449
  • muskeg1.jpg
    muskeg1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 447
  • muskeg2.jpg
    muskeg2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 487
  • muskeg6.jpg
    muskeg6.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 451
  • muskeg5.jpg
    muskeg5.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 439
  • muskeg4.jpg
    muskeg4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 470
  • muskeg3.jpg
    muskeg3.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 453

CASNOW40

Here is some more of the big cab. On top are the side rails for the spare machine..

Attachments

• muskeg9.jpg
    muskeg9.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 421
  • muskeg10.jpg
    muskeg10.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 423

CASNOW40

Why does my track have the grousers straight across on the belts all the way and on the classifieds forum theres a set of tracks off a muskeg that are staggered?? thanks

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The staggered tracks are older. You can use them by matching the sprockets to them.
Those sprockets look very good.
All the cabs in your pictures are Muskeg cabs.

What are you going to do with the machine ?

Nathan R

Let me know if you don't use that cab, I am in need of some parts and it looks like a match to my skidozer cab.

CASNOW40

ok, that would make sense, i'm glad to hear that the sprockets look good, they had a couple chips and cuts but didn't look real major to me.. I think i'm just going to bite the bullet and get belts for mine.. Its going to be the best in the long run. Mine's going to be designed into a rig for off-road recovery. I have 2 buddys with them for the same use. I would either like to put the yellow 5 man cab on mine or I have a "cherry" 87 chevy crew cab body to adapt on it. The measurements appear to be perfect so we'll see.:brows: I am debating on what to use for a power plant. Have access to a TBI 350 chevy or maybe a much more expensive 4bt cummins. I'd rather just go with a 350 due to parts being cheap!

CASNOW40

Ive been up working late! And discovering more damage:sad:.. Any ideas?
The shaft doesnt appear to be junk but what do I have to do about this?
Thanks, I know im kind of being a pain guys.

Attachments

• mud cat 13.jpg
    mud cat 13.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 377
  • mud cat 14.jpg
    mud cat 14.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 368
  • mud cat 15.jpg
    mud cat 15.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 376
  • mud cat 16.jpg
    mud cat 16.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 361

CASNOW40

So I have done what boggie said and removed the four bolts then tried to pull the axle out over the rail and it doesnt want to budge.. ?:unsure:

Attachments

• mud cat 17.jpg
    mud cat 17.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 368
  • mud cat 18.jpg
    mud cat 18.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 363

J5 Bombardier

Welcome to muskeg suspension, where lack of grease can cause heartache down the road.You might get some ideas from the thread "Bombardier Muskeg Hull Rebuild". Either way the rails should come off,bolts removed from each end and torch(heat) ,porta power the rail off the axle ends. Hard to tell if the axle is twisted off from pics,but same thing, the beams tubes may have to be zip cut with a grinder to open the tubes to get them off. I had to zip cut the under side of the hull to open up the tube to get my damaged axle out. The funny thing if there is any concerning this job is my replacement axle came from an early muskeg hull and it slid right out with a few taps, somebody took care of it. I would just make a new replacement axle if i was to do it again. Keep the pics coming
J5 Bombardier

CASNOW40

I would really like a type of service and repair manual to explain what all is there exactly.. Or do i just remove the bolts off of the rail then pull the rail off? Is this what you are saying I need to porta power off?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
If it was me... I'd undo the 6 bolts at the end and pull the drive shaft out. Then the rest of the assembly might come apart better.
I have a similar Muskeg that I got for parts and I can't get one of the beam tubes apart ( side rail won't come off)....I've tried all kinds of wedges and sledges....but not a porta-power. I haven't tried to get the sprocket axle apart.

I don't believe there is a service manual.... just an exploded view ( love them :smile: ) in the parts book.