• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

VIDEO >> BMW debuts self driving Motorcycle

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It stops, stands and drives by itself. All based on the controls that come from an internal computer and onboard sensors. No remote operation. This was apparently a surprise announcement to the press, media expected only announcement but not a demonstration. It should also be noted that Yamaha has been working on a similar system and has already debuted their version of a self driving motorcycle.

I'm curious about the size of the onboard computer. Does it occupy any space inside those luggage boxes or is it buried inside bike as a miniaturized system?

BMW's RG1200GS is pretty much the alpha dog in the adventure touring category, capable of circling the globe, crossing deserts and mountain, and seen fully equipped with those luggage boxes on the road. So is the computer and, I'm presuming a gyroscope to balance the bike, buried in the luggage? If not then what sorcery do they use to get this thing to stand by itself?

VIDEO LINK >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=XExaWApSnWY

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/self-driving-bmw-r1200gs/

While the debate over electric motorcycles as the future of two-wheeled mobility still simmers, BMW is already thinking ahead unveiling their most recent project dubbed “Ghost Rider.” A fully self-driving BMW R1200GS controlled only by the algorithms inside its computer.

The German manufacturer surprised journalists last weekend with a live demonstration of the experimental self-driving BMW R1200GS at a track. As if guided by magic, the autonomous motorcycle doesn’t require a rider to navigate and can move itself freely with no aids, going around corners and even stopping without falling to its side.

According to BMW, the aim of the technology is not fully-automated motorcycling but the extension and refinement of driver assistance systems. “For example, less experienced drivers could be assisted by the electronics to avoid dangerous spots or to avoid them in a timely and targeted manner,” explains BMW. The potential of the technology is vast as a safety system, decreasing the probability of a collision or intervening in a slide among other scenarios.

Attachments

• bmw-r1200gs-self-driving-adventure-motorcycle-2a-768x512.jpg
    bmw-r1200gs-self-driving-adventure-motorcycle-2a-768x512.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 141

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Never been a huge BMW motorcycle fan. Not because of the bikes. They are indeed top of the line in workmanship and function, in some instances. It is the people who tend to buy them. Most of them I met over the years were pricks. Can't say it any clearer then that. Always looking down their noses at the Harley and Japanese bike crowd. Sort of like those that drive their cars, come to think of it.

As for self driving. Anybody that would ride a self driving motorcycle putting their life in the hands of a computer, should have their heads examined.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have this image in my mind of a camera mounted on the handle bars and Bob sitting at home touring the Great Lakes! :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sort of like those that drive their cars, come to think of it.
Hey, I drive a BMW. Not because I'm an asshole, just because it's fun to drive. Mine is 15 years old and to this date, the model I'm driving is still considered one of the best vehicles ever made.

As for self driving. Anybody that would ride a self driving motorcycle putting their life in the hands of a computer, should have their heads examined.
When I was watching the video, everything that was running through my mind was military applications. Carrying supplies to infantry troops quickly or if you need a very quick troop movement of already deployed troops, send these things to them.

Bamby

It could be used to deliver pizzas, lunches, and to go orders up to customers door more or less and I can't see it expecting a tip either another big plus.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey, I drive a BMW. Not because I'm an asshole, just because it's fun to drive. Mine is 15 years old and to this date, the model I'm driving is still considered one of the best vehicles ever made.

Exceptions to every rule my friend. :wink:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This Video is a failed attempt at an accident proof motorcycle. It is pretty funny, but it is not faked and the guy on the bike was actually hurt, so not really funny. But hard not to smirk.

LINK TO VIDEO ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTg7PUSVidI