• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

State/County Fair Food . . . what do you eat?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What do you eat when you go to the County Fair?

Went to the Porter County Fair early today. Eating my way through the fair. No little kids so no need to ride the rides, play the dumb games. Visited the OLD IRON tent, which was the highlight for me.

But when it come to food, these where the foods we ate today:

• Deep fried red velvet Oreos
  • Deep fried cheddar cheese balls w/Jalapeno Ranch dip
  • Fried Vegetables
  • Funnel Cake
  • Lemonade Shake Up (actually had 2 of those)
  • Beef tips, mushrooms, onions over potatoes
  • Brisket (probably the best brisket I've ever eaten anywhere, and my wife makes a damn fine brisket)

I wanted the bacon wrapped smoked turkey leg ... but they were sold out.

Highlights:

Honestly the Smoked Brisket, which had a salt crust on the top, was simply astounding. Never had brisket like that and I've eaten brisket all across the southwest. This was juicy, melt in your mouth, and had a nice smoke pink smoke ring. And the top had some sort of a salt crust/salt rub that did not make the meat salty but gave a nice burst of salt flavor. Simply amazing, especially since it came out of a trailer in a foam container.

Funnel Cakes, classic fair food. I like them much better than elephant ears.

Deep Fried red velvet Oreos was fun fair food. Dusted with powdered sugar. Good stuff.

I think we will be at the Lake County Fair in about 10 days . . . got to find the Bacon Wrapped Turkey Leg before they run out :hammer:

Umberto

Went to the Porter County Fair early today. Eating my way through the fair. No little kids so no need to ride the rides, play the dumb games. Visited the OLD IRON tent, which was the highlight for me.

• Fried Vegetables
  • Funnel Cake
  • Brisket (probably the best brisket I've ever eaten anywhere, and my wife makes a damn fine brisket)

Highlights:

Honestly the Smoked Brisket, which had a salt crust on the top, was simply astounding. Never had brisket like that and I've eaten brisket all across the southwest. This was juicy, melt in your mouth, and had a nice smoke pink smoke ring. And the top had some sort of a salt crust/salt rub that did not make the meat salty but gave a nice burst of salt flavor. Simply amazing, especially since it came out of a trailer in a foam container.

Deep Fried red velvet Oreos was fun fair food. Dusted with powdered sugar. Good stuff.

I think we will be at the Lake County Fair in about 10 days . . . got to find the Bacon Wrapped Turkey Leg before they run out :hammer:

Your wife from Texas?

Here we have what is called an earthquake Fair Burger - huge and covered with grilled onions.

They sell a lot of scones, too, but would rather make my own.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife's family moved around a fair bit. She lived in Kansas, Indiana, Texas and New Mexico.

She learned to cook brisket and bbq while in Texas.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
The Michigan State Fair closed down years ago, I loved going there, especially for the food. I always headed for the hot dog stand first, then the funnel cake, then maybe a cotton candy for me and my girl, when I had one.

They reopened the fair not long ago, but it is now miles away from here and not near as nice as it once was.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
There's an interesting show on discovery, "Deep Fried Masters" about fair food.

DEEP FRIED MASTERS will continue its three-round format, challenging contestants to present a "Signature Dish," "Fried Food on a Stick," and "Judge's Choice" throughout the competition. The contestants' dishes will be judged on taste, creativity, and likelihood of sales. Will they be able to create innovative treats that can be enjoyed while walking the midway? Six contestants, three rounds, and endless possibilities...who will win the heated battle and earn the coveted Golden Corndog Trophy?

http://press.discovery.com/us/da/programs/deep-fried-masters/

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the lemon shake-ups too.
And the Belgian waffles with confectioners sugar, funnel cakes, Italian sausages with peppers and onions and giant calzones- which we had one year at the Van Wert county fair.
Getting a good pulled pork sandwich with sauce and a pickle used to be a thing to look forward to at fair time around here, but now we can get them year round thanks to Bryan opening the Hickory Pit. :smile:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why Gyro's of course!!! I love them, and locally can't buy one..

One of my favorites. The lamb producers have a food stand with heavenly marrinaded leg of lamb sandwich's that are wonderful, I usually take one home with me, as the stand is right near the South gate were we leave from.. Oh and a pecan nut log as well...

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Red Velvet Deep Fried Oreos were tough to beat as a snack, but I'm going to another county fair in about 10 days and hope to find the same brisket guy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 138

Umberto

Why Gyro's of course!!! I love them, and locally can't buy one..

One of my favorites. The lamb producers have a food stand with heavenly marrinaded leg of lamb sandwich's that are wonderful, I usually take one home with me, as the stand is right near the South gate were we leave from.. Oh and a pecan nut log as well...

Regards, Kirk

I love the lamb and gyros but never seem to get them at the fair. The mall has gyros and intend to get the plate one of these days and some lamb curry from the Indian place, too.

I don't sub at the high school like I used to and when I did I did a lot in the science building where FFA met. For several years, at the spring fair, I'd bought lambs from a gal that was raising champions and they were the best. I miss that. I imagine she's graduated from college now. I do a thing where I bone out a leg and stuff it with garlic, fresh oregano, and mint, tie it up and roast it over the charcoal with a bit of cherry wood for smoke. I should do a Greek night one of these days and do this this. That is all.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

• Fried Vegetables
  • Funnel Cake

Highlights:

The Brisket sounds delightful. As for everything else,,, None of the above.

The only item I have ever enjoyed of the State Fair fares was roasted Corn on the Cobb in Wisconsin and Iowa. Husk peeled back and deep dipped in real butter:clap:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
There are a few things I enjoy at a local fair. One is the homemade Italian sausage this local place sells. Another desert is known as "elephant ears" a deep fried flat dough smothered in a sugar/brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Mmmm good. Mouth watering.