• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Happy Birthday to Ernest Hemmingway

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Happy birthday Ernest Hemingway.

Ernest took his libations seriously. Netoriously hard drinker he was, enjoying alcohol and life with gusto.

Here is his recipe for Death in the Afternoon.
"Pour one jigger Absinthe into a champagne glass.
Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness.

Drink three to five of these slowly."

Slowly. I think that sounds like good advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 86

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From the Smithsonian, Hemmingway's Paris.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...tm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Here is just the first bit of the article, which is interesting...
the world, and his global travels are well-reflected in his famous works. The Caribbean, Africa, America and Europe all hosted the famous writer at one point or another, but perhaps no location is as heavily associated with Hemingway as Paris. "If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man," Hemingway once wrote, "then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."

Hemingway moved to Paris with his first wife, Hadley, in 1921. The young couple lived in an apartment on the rue Cardinale Lemoine in Paris' 5th arrondissement. The apartment was sparse, with no running water and a bathroom that consisted of little more than a bucket. Hemingway rented another space, at 39 rue Descartes, where he did his writing.

During their time in Paris, the Hemingways became acquainted with other ex-pats living in the city. Composing the famous "Lost Generation," these artists, including Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, Picasso and James Joyce, became central to Hemingway's growth as a writer.

The couple left Paris in 1923, when Hadley discovered she was pregnant with their first child. But their absence was short lived: after giving birth in Toronto, the couple brought their baby back to Paris in January of 1924. This second life in Paris ushered in one of Hemingway's most prolific creative periods, during which he wrote works such as The Sun Also Rises and Men Without Women. In 1927, Hadley divorced Hemingway after discovering his affair with Pauline Pfeiffer, a fashion reporter. Hemingway and Pfeiffer married only a few months later and left Paris for Key West the following year.

​Even though nearly a century has passed since Hemingway lived and wrote in the streets of Paris, his unique version of the city remains: stroll through the windy avenues of the Left Bank, visit the Jardin Luxembourg or sit down at one of his favorite cafés to make Hemingway's Paris your own. . .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 95

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know what happened to it, but a full auto Thompson 1928 is highly collectable, they run about $35,000+. If you had one that could be proven to have been his, I'd guess the price would double.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know what happened to it, but a full auto Thompson 1928 is highly collectable, they run about $35,000+. If you had one that could be proven to have been his, I'd guess the price would double.
:ohmy:

You know too much about guns, Bob. :yum::smile:

Umberto

I met a SF Captain that was riffed to SFC after Nam. He owned SR #69, of all numbers. I sold him an original 50 round drum I found at a garage sale. This was Ft. Carson, 1980.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
attachment.php

Well, that brought back a long lost memory. My wife and I have actually eaten there ... over 30 years ago!!!! As I remember it the food was good but not what you would call great but it was a very pleasant experience to sit outside and watch Paris go by and Paris is all about the experience.