• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bacon's appeal explained by chemistry

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like most on F.F., while preparing breakfast, you are no doubt asking the big questions such as "which gun for bear?" AND "why is bacon so fantastic?"

Well, cheer up, buttercup, I'm here to report the answer thanks to the chemistry nerds at Compound Interest and the men in sandals at NPR:

You Can Thank 150 Different Compounds For The Sweet Smell Of Bacon : The Salt : NPR

There's nothing on Earth like the smell of bacon cooking, especially when it's being prepared by someone else and it's the weekend. Put a pan of bacon on, and everyone suddenly gathers in the kitchen. We've even known vegetarians to cave in its presence, and mathematically-speaking, it makes everything better.

But — why? What is it about the smell that calls us like a siren out of a deep sleep?

Well, as our fellow nerds over at the American Chemical Society and the chemistry blog, Compound Interest, demonstrate in the pop-art video above, it's the devious work of 150 volatile organic compounds coming together to do their thing.

When a slice of bacon first hits a hot pan, the sugars and amino acids get very excited. That's known as the Maillard reaction, and it's pretty much the reason steak, bread, cookies and other highly-heated foods get brown and taste good.

Then the reaction combines with melting fats to produce the aroma compounds. . . .

FULL STORY AT LINK ABOVE

Umberto

I'll take 2....

Bacon%20Stack.png
[/URL][/IMG]

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
On top of that it's getting to be so dang expensive!

Take heart Leni..:smile:

The national hog herd numbers are recovering fast from a 9 million pig death loss last year from a Chinese virus that some how made it here to infect our herd. :sad:

The retail price of pork should be comming down soon, say in the next several months. Fresh pork price in the stores here already have come down substantially. Cured products that are popular (bacon and ham) will take a bit more time.

Enjoy!

Regards, Kirk

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Came down a whole bunch in the last few weeks because of the west coast strike.
In reality a lot of piglets died but the farmers just increased the weight. The total pounds sold last year was only about 1 percent off.
Difficult to get 17/20 hams. They are at over a bucka pound. 23/27 are At 60 cents.
We do pricing on Thursday so this is last week.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In reality a lot of piglets died but the farmers just increased the weight. The total pounds sold last year was only about 1 percent off. .

I am thinking that the farmers may not have had all the "say" as to the weight of the hogs when killed. The packing house's I am pretty sure are the ones who wanted larger hogs, due to lack of numbers...

Am I right?:unsure:

Regards, Kirk