• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you like Coconut? How about Pie?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This coconut pie makes it's own crust as it bakes. I kid you not :wink:..

It works well with gluten free flour for the wife..:wink: I used potato.

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup milk
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

mix in the order given, then pour into a greased 10" pie pand (Big pan, and deep. I make 3/4 batch for our pan) and bake at 350 deg. for 45 minutes or golden brown on top like a cake, and set in the middle.

I like to add 1/4 cup more coconut and a 1/2 shot of coconut rum to mine as well....:whistling:

Wish I could see your faces when you discover the "crust" that is formed. Interesting phenomina I think.:ermm: But I do like it very much.

Best regards, Kirk

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK ... I give you permission to come to the island in Panama and make me pie . We have about a million Coconut trees on the place . Does Monday work for you ??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Drinking starts any time after 4 .....or is it 2 .... maybe its noon .
Anyway we have coconut . All you can eat . The guys will climb the trees and get you fresh ones or you can take your pick off the ground of the ones that have fallen .

disclaimer : Falling Coconuts kill 500 plus people a year in Costa Rica . Those dumb asses never look up >!!!!:w00t2:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk, sometime try adding a little pineapple or orange flavoring to your coconut pie.

Bob

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Oven died a month ago but I got a new one today, just have to install it. This sounds like a great way to break it in!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome Kirk. Do you care if I share this over on Net Cooking Talk? I'll link back here to your original.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome Kirk. Do you care if I share this over on Net Cooking Talk? I'll link back here to your original.

That is fine Doc...

Wife is given me rasberries as I type this claiming that I make for "her" and then I eat too much of it....leaving her with not enough. I have the fixin's for one more anyway.:flowers:

Reagards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
NO! I don't like it one bit. One of a handful of things I don't eat by choice.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk, sometime try adding a little pineapple or orange flavoring to your coconut pie.

Bob

Well I am....right now as I type this...

The zest from an orange and half of the juice. And the Coconut Rum as well. I will let you know.

So has anyone here made this pie yet? Tell me how does the crust form?? I'd like to know, as I just don't get it. I have my Mom's crustless Crab Quiche recipy and it does the same thing.... Just curious I guess.

Regards, Kirk

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter

The zest from an orange and half of the juice. And the Coconut Rum as well. I will let you know.

So has anyone here made this pie yet? Tell me how does the crust form?? I'd like to know, as I just don't get it. I have my Mom's crustless Crab Quiche recipy and it does the same thing.... Just curious I guess.

Regards, Kirk
Didn't get to pick up the oven but it's on my list for tomorrow.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Regards, Kirk

I will be after my next grocery trip. Coconut doesn't last long in my house. I am addicted to it in my morning cereal.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
MMMMMM....

The Orange zest and juice is very nice addition to the pie. I reccomend it.:clap:

Regards, Kirk

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
So has anyone here made this pie yet? Tell me how does the crust form?? I'd like to know, as I just don't get it.
I would love to make this pie, but DW will not eat coconut. If Muley lived closer I'd make it for me & Mrs. Muley and DW & Bill can eat something else for dessert.

The "crust" is not really a crust in the strictest sense of a dough crust, but it's more the caramelizing of the sugar, flour and coconut on the surface. Regardless, I'm sure it's delicious and would like to see a picture of the finished product.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the friggen oven but it's 1/2" to tall for the space the old one came out of. Looks like it will be tomorrow before it gets installed. But... we bought all the ingredients this afternoon and I'm getting closer to pie!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would love to make this pie, but DW will not eat coconut. If Muley lived closer I'd make it for me & Mrs. Muley and DW & Bill can eat something else for dessert.

The "crust" is not really a crust in the strictest sense of a dough crust, but it's more the caramelizing of the sugar, flour and coconut on the surface. Regardless, I'm sure it's delicious and would like to see a picture of the finished product.

JEV,

The crust that forms is on the bottom and appears to be the flour in the mix, settling out to the outsides. It does however get the crusting on the surface as well..

Something is happening to the starch in the flour to make it so it doesn't mix with the yummy custurd like filling. The melted butter maybe add to this too? Don't know for sure. I think the order you mix it in is the secret. I always mix as directed, so I don't know for sure.

I do reccomend you make it plainfirst then add to it. The orange zest and juice were nice additions. Coconut rum is as well...

Love to make it? Do so and don't share any.....:whistling: Or have a friend over for coffee sometime..

Regards, Kirk

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Here it is!

Attachments

• pie 006a.jpg
    pie 006a.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 139
  • pie2 001.jpg
    pie2 001.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 149
  • pie3 003.jpg
    pie3 003.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
that seems really good. & easy enough to make, since you have not got to fuss w/ a dough.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I would like to report that the pie is excellent! But... if you don't like coconut, don't make the pie. There is no middle ground here, it is indeed a coconut pie!

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
[FONT=&quot]I don't want to hijack this thread, but since adding pineapple to coconut pie has been mentioned, here is a recipe I use that is really good.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rancher’s Pie[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup crushed pineapple (do not drain)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 lightly beaten eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 tablespoons flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup flaked coconut[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¾ stick butter or margarine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 unbaked pie shell or 12 - 14 tart shells (pre-cooked)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 T orange extract - optional but I usually add it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together sugar, pineapple, eggs, flour and coconut in a bowl.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Melt butter and add to other ingredients.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pour filling into pie shell.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bake one hour or until filling is set and browned.[/FONT]

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would like to report that the pie is excellent! But... if you don't like coconut, don't make the pie. There is no middle ground here, it is indeed a coconut pie!

Excellent!!

So Squerly did you notice the crust that formed? I agree if you don't like coconut don't bother. But if you like it then well....

rlk, I will have to try your ranchers pie too. May have to punch a new hole in my belt with all this pie makin' goin' on...

Regards, Kirk

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
So Squerly did you notice the crust that formed?
Yeah, it's like the coconut finds it's way to the top/sides and gets "crusted" so as to make a shell. Really an easy pie to make! (once the oven was installed)

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When it is cold you can really see the crust on the bottom that looks like the flour mixture precipitated out. Another thing I enjoy is that there is a bit of sweetened condensed milk left after our measure one cup. This you save and relish with your coffee....It I have read is a very South American kinda thing to do, and although I like mine black, I find a good dose of the Condensed milk is great!

Damn this is getting rediclulous, I just put another Organge flavored one in my oven...

Regards, Kirk

Leni

Kirk, I passed this recipe onto a friend of mine whose son has to be gluten free. She just happens to have a radio show here in Los Angeles about cooking and food. People call in about problems or questions and she answers them. She does not give out recipes on the air but posts them on her website www.melindalee.com.

Her son really liked the coconut pie as did the other dinner guests two of whom do not like coconut. All of the other gluten free treats have tasted like cardboard.

She told me that she is going to talk about the pie on one of her upcoming shows for Thanksgiving. The station reaches from Santa Barbara to San Diego and into Arizona. So, your pie is going to be famous. And I gave you the credit of course.

rlk, I just saw your Ranchers Pie and am going to send it onto her.

Kirk, how about posting your moms crustless crab quiche?

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure Leni!

Crustless Quiche

10 eggs, 1/4 cup mayo or salad dressing, 1/2 cup gluten free flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 pound cottage cheese, one pound shredded cheese (use what you like, she liked mozarella) 1/2 cup melted butter, one pound of lump crab meat, 1/4 cup chopped green onion, one clove of garlic minced, and 1/4 cup bacon bits (optional). Mix and pour into an ungreased 13x16 pan. Bake at 400 deg untill the center is set, aproximately 30-40 minutes.

I like this recipe alot, and we use it around the holidays as a breakfast or brunch. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Best regards, Kirk

Leni

It sounds very good. I'm going to the store tomorrow and will buy the ingredients that I need.

By the way two other people at Melinda's dinner party were not sure about your coconut pie. One didn't like custard pies and the other was afraid that it would be dry, cake like or like a bread. You have eight thumbs up from the guests of a very very good cook. She had a catering business for ten years before she went on the air. She would cook on site with her crew for up to and over 400 people. You have quite a feather in your cap beecause she loved it. If it came from mom be sure to tell her.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks to Leni I stand corrected the correct pan is a 9"X13" pan. Sorry for the mistake.:flowers:

Regards, Kirk