• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow trac transmission

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
talk to Ron at car craft inc 951 781 4480 he will likely want some photos as my trans was a bug trans with a van shift cover i made some mods to my cover so i could use the new seal'd bug shifter cover.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
fourth is like overdrive i run about 25 at 4000rpm i still have plenty of power had 10 inches of snow last night and wind was starting to blow it around found my self shifting down to 3 rd at places but 3rd is about like 4 th used to be the 1600 pulles it just fine

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks DDS,
I found a 3.88 to 1 ring gear set. I have not been able to find a 4.10 to 1. I will go this route! Just ramping up on finishing my Snow Master. Ive put her on hold to long. I plan to have her done before snow flies next winter.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks DDS,
I found a 3.88 to 1 ring gear set. I have not been able to find a 4.10 to 1. I will go this route! Just ramping up on finishing my Snow Master. Ive put her on hold to long. I plan to have her done before snow flies next winter.[/QUOTE]

Well I hope to God you keep us up to date on it and get it done . You don't see me twiddleing my toes and wasting time :whistling:.

Good to see your "sorry ass" posting again , Mouse Ears . I have not had anybody fun to poke at in a long time . These other Right wingers , gun nuts and snotty Trackers are just a royal pain in my ass , but don't tell them I said that . :whistling:I like me best :biggrin:

Welcome home .

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
DDS,
Ive been doing some research on the Snow Trac transaxle gearing and can only find where they put 4.125 Ring and Pinions in them from the factory. This should have given you 18 mph top speed. Did you have a non standard transmission in your Snow Trac? Im shipping my transaxle out after the 1st of the year to be rebuilt. I will see what Ring and Pinion he finds.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i actualy took mine out with a gps and guess what 18 mph i don't know what it had but 18 mph is all it does do now so ma wan't a taller gear set if you wan't a higher road speed the trans i had was identified as a bus trans which had something like a 4.56 gear set i now wished that i had got a taller gear set now.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just GPS's my Stock geared 1962 model at 18.4 mph @ 4,500 rpm. It didn't seem to have much more in it......with a 1,600 cc single port engine. I am thinking about the Snow trac "optional" high speed gear set. Would like to see 20 mph @ 3,800 rpm's or there abouts. Anyone fallowing this know about this gear set?

Best regards, Merry Christmas!:biggrin::biggrin:

Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
thats exacly where mine was at i have to admit that those low gears were a plus this past week we got 2 storms bact to back and now have about 20 inches of snow that has blown around and filled ditch's 8 feet deep to level and no freezing weather to to crust up the snow i have had to drop to second gear several times to keep moving forward also have proven the st will go where a snowmachine cant go pulled one back up on high ground with nothing more than skis sticking out poor kid jumped out of the back and went up to his armpits

unclebuck4571

I also would like a little less power on the bottom end and a little more speed on the top end. For those a little less mechanically minded would a change from the standard 12 tooth drive sprocket to 14 or 15 tooth drive sprocket be a compromise. Is there a set of 14 or 15 tooth sprockets out there? General consensus please. Thanks. Bob.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I will go with the taller gears then. My engine will be a Scat built 1775. I should have about 90 hp and plenty of torque. I do have a set of the optional gears. I will see how they do with my Snow Master big sprocket. I think with those optional gears and stock ratio in the trans would see me with a 18 MPH top speed. With the 3.88 Im hopeing a 21 to 22 mph top sustained speed at about 4,000 rpm. I need to do the math.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Ops,

The 3.88 gear set will only gain you a little over 4% more speed or only about 19.5 mph vrs 18.4.....

The driven gear in the final drive chains is the one to change I think, but also the front large sprocket can be changed as well, easier, but will not provide the ratio change per tooth as changing the small drive sprocket will.

Now for some real information by someone who knows.....are the splines in the drive spockets metric or english in measurement? And is it commonly cut into shafts today? What is needed is a broach to push through the spocket hub, cutting the splines. I have read that the drive chains are NOT S.A.E .#80 roller chain, but a metric chain instead. So where would one go for a chain spocket, to fit this metric chain....?

So many questions...

Regards, Kirk

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Ops,

The 3.88 gear set will only gain you a little over 4% more speed or only about 19.5 mph vrs 18.4.....

The driven gear in the final drive chains is the one to change I think, but also the front large sprocket can be changed as well, easier, but will not provide the ratio change per tooth as changing the small drive sprocket will.

Now for some real information by someone who knows.....are the splines in the drive spockets metric or english in measurement? And is it commonly cut into shafts today? What is needed is a broach to push through the spocket hub, cutting the splines. I have read that the drive chains are NOT S.A.E .#80 roller chain, but a metric chain instead. So where would one go for a chain spocket, to fit this metric chain....?

So many questions...

Regards, Kirk

Martin gear has some metric sprockets but the splines would haveto be broached

link http://www.martinsprocket.com/btsm.htm

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a set of the small sprockets that will give me the same speed as a stock snow track. 19.4 mph would be perfect since going over 20 mph in a track rig is just a bad idea anyway.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Now if someone wants to go ahead and broach a bunch fo the smaller metric sprockets for our rigs then I think you would have allot of happy Snow Trac/Master owners!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, your right about that! I wonder if any of the original prints are around for the spline dimentions.....Gold cord Mine perhaps? They seem to have alot of technical information about Snow Tracs.

Anyone?

Regards, Kirk