• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

4t10 suspension parts

crafttree

I have got some problems with the suspension on my 1962 4t suspension and am needing parts. Anyone have anything available? Rear suspension arm and suspension spring. I am not sure what was in the rear cylinder shown in the 2nd pic. The shaft in the cylinder moves in and out quite freely. At this point I think I need the two rear cylinders and one rear (left)suspension arm. I am new to the 4t suspension so I need some hhelp, advice with this.

Attachments

• DSC01922.jpg
    DSC01922.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC01927.jpg
    DSC01927.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 403

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
crafttree, there should be a spring in those "cylinders" . as for the linkage , you might just duplicate the other side , if yours is gone.

btw: is that an oc-12 or 15?? did you do the mod??

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
Dick, open up those cylinders and see what you got. It maybe something simple and easily fixed. You are on the new frontier now and will be gaining info for all mankind:hammer:. A lot of this stuff was well engineered and just needs some tlc to bring back standards. Soon we will be asking you the questions:w00t2: Peterson Equipment in Logan(google them)sometimes has an extraneous part on these old cats. Use parts numbers from your 4T manual. Also, if you can find there number, Black Diamond Cats did a killer 4T10 restoration a few years back and may be a resource. Remember, winter is nearly over--ya got all summer to get this worked out--no worries:clap:

crafttree

Got the rear overload cylinder opened up and found a broken spring. The brass bushing and everything else looked fine. The other cylinder on the same side was in fine shape. Welded the broken spring and reassembled the cylinder. I realize welding the spring will weaken it some. Any comments?
Found a new sealed bearing for the rear suspension arm, all the others look to be in fine shape. Found out those sealed bearings are aircraft bearings.
One side of the suspension done.:biggrin:

Here are some pics for those who want to see whats inside.

The rear cylinder (overload spring) functions by a collar pushing in on the spring, the main suspension spring, the one towards the front, functions by a collar pulling the spring with a collar in the opposite end of the cylinder from where the shaft enters.

Attachments

• DSC01933.jpg
    DSC01933.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC01935.jpg
    DSC01935.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 369

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
whats the manufacture and # of the bearings?? Im going to need a few myself. Good luck with the spring. welding or heating springs takes the temper out...you might want to locate one :wink:

crafttree

Bearing # is DPP6 by fafnir. NAPA located them without too much problem. $105 ea.
My partner on this venture is going to have some extra bearings made up for $12 ea. I jumped the gun a little on the purchase. Oh well.
Going to live with the welded spring for the time being but I'll keep looking for a replacement.

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
Dick--okay so maybe you are experiencing a bit of buyers remorse right now, but you picked up a machine that has a near perfect body, the oc15 is worth a whole gob and mainer would part it out for ya, you got some beautiful tracks and then some right??? Don't forget that recently redone interior. Okay okay, so you are doing some 4t first on the forum, great work chap:clap:. When you are done with that suspension everything else should be pretty sound, right? Great work and keep the pictures coming and don't forget to make a data base:hammer:

crafttree

Dan You are right, Once into it a little, the suspension does not look like it is going to be the problem I thought it was. Got bearings seals and suspension done on one side, one to go. The 300 6 just purrs, so no worries there. Got the slave cylinders to go thru and that should about do it fot the big fixes. Everything else is in amazingly good shape. Minor stuff like window seals etc.

benz9

Crafttree, I had a similar problem with my SW-48 last winter (the spring part) and tried to weld it just as you did. As soon as tension was applied (> 2000 lbs) it popped again. I solved this problem by making a flat on both broken ends of the spring and welding them one over the other, like two fingers, one on top of each other. Any spring shop will find you replacement springs that will match OD/tension, but for me, they only sold pairs and it was well over 250$ for the pair. Good luck!

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Great to hear this is coming along. One of the fantastic things about these machines is the sheer simplicity and logic that went into the design. Not to say parts isn't an issue but with a bit of ingenuity it seems solutions are always out there.
Keep it up and keep the pictures coming please!

crafttree

Got the overload spring assembly off on the other side and it was broken in three pieces. No welding this, so time to look for new springs. The first overload cylinder was bone dry the 2nd was full of grease. Are these spring cylinders designed to operate dry or are they supposed to be full of grease?

crafttree

NAPA sent the repaired (welded) spring off to a company in Portland Oregon to have two new springs made, total cost about $300. I will post some pics when I get them back in 2 weeks.

crafttree

I got into the main suspension spring cylinders today. Both were packed with grease and in good shape. Replaced the old grease and reinstalled them. Looks like that answers the question whether they are suposed to have grease in them or not.:clap:

Attachments

• main susp spring2  .jpg
    main susp spring2 .jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 269
  • main susp spring  .jpg
    main susp spring .jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 270

crafttree

Here are some pics of the new overload springs I just got today. I have got all the parts I need, hopefully after tomorrow everything will be back together and the 4t/601 will be up and running.:smile:

Attachments

• DSC02171.jpg
    DSC02171.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC02176.jpg
    DSC02176.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC02175.jpg
    DSC02175.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC02174.jpg
    DSC02174.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 224

crafttree

I finally made it out on the snow today and up to the cabin, great day. The cat tends to pull to the left, is it safe to assume the left track is a little tighter than the right side?
Looking for some nice rectangular side view mirrors, one small round one does not make it, anyone have any extras or have a source?

Attachments

• 1210001401.jpg
    1210001401.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 130

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
I finally made it out on the snow today and up to the cabin, great day. The cat tends to pull to the left, is it safe to assume the left track is a little tighter than the right side?
Looking for some nice rectangular side view mirrors, one small round one does not make it, anyone have any extras or have a source?

Hey Dick...you guys rebuilt the steering slave cylinders..you may just have the left side steering rod too tight. I believe it takes a 1" socket...try backing the steering rod off a turn or so...the big nut on the front of the steering slave. Try that then re-evaluate. The 600 series manual calls for about 1/8" travel of the steering rod when engaged.